Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Question

Tizzo

Hey Guys,

This is my first year shooting competitively, I dry fire practice when I can and try to hit the range to live fire once a week. Last night while shooting a match I found myself not letting the trigger fully reset and obviously this led to me pulling the trigger and no bang. This happened 3 times, and each time I realized what had happened and didn't have to waste time doing a tap/rack.

I find it odd that this is happening now and not any sooner. Any ideas on how to fix this "problem"?

Relax and slow down.... sounds like your trying to get that second shot off so fast that your carrying to much tension and that's not allowing you to extend enough for the trigger to reset. You said you recognized what had happeded each time, so think back and focus on how you felt at those moments... were you tense, worried you needed to make up some time? Think back and I bet you can answer your own question.

Relax and slow down.... sounds like your trying to get that second shot off so fast that your carrying to much tension and that's not allowing you to extend enough for the trigger to reset. You said you recognized what had happeded each time, so think back and focus on how you felt at those moments... were you tense, worried you needed to make up some time? Think back and I bet you can answer your own question.

That's the thing about it, I actually felt like I was in a groove, not rushing. I broke my first shot, waited for my sight picture to return and then... squishy trigger; "crap I need to let the trigger reset". But what was also odd was that I had that thought, but still didn't rush to break the second shot. I felt calm and everything seemed clear in the instances that these trigger issues occurred, very unlike times when, for example, I shoot to slide lock on accident or forget to reload, and get all flustered.

even 'in the groove' you may not realize that you are gripping your stronghand too tight, too much tension will allow you to do 'gross motor skills' ie...pickup and hold objects(your gun) but....will not allow 'fine motor skills' ie...flexing your finger to fire and reset the trigger...i'm a trigger slapper from waaay back so it doesnt happen as often to me

Were you really close to the targets when it happened? Sometimes people try to shoot the really close targets too fast because they are easy to hit, and their trigger finger "locks up" on them on the second shot. If that's the case and the stage allows, don't get as close to the target. You'll still be able to get your hits, and you may save yourself some movement time in the process

• 2 weeks later...

Tension is the enemy of speed.

What you are referring to is commonly known as "trigger freeze". It's not a mechanical fault of the gun, but a mental fault of the shooter.

Throw up an array of wide open close targets and really work on ripping through them as fast as you can, and you'll become tense and try to gorilla-force the gun... and trigger freeze appears.

Do it again, staing relaxed and concentrating on your grip pressure and the tension in your entire upper body. Check the timer. You'll be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, everytime i shoot my guns i always hit lower left side.

When I shoot low left it's typically because my grip is too tight, torqueing the gun down and left. If I relax my grip some that usually solves the problem.