Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Info for S&W M66 and IDPA.

Aircooled6racer

Hello: Well I have a model 66 coming for IDPA. Bought some bullets 158 RN and have the reloading stuff now. I do need to get a IDPA legal holster and speedloader holders. What brand is the best for IDPA? I was thinking of using the North Mountain holders with some cut down Comp III's. Holster I am not sure since I have heard some are not legal (thanks Greeg K). Let me know. Thanks, Eric

The items most folks used were mentioned above.

Holster: Comp-Tac

Very nice holster. I have three for my differing guns.

Speedloaders: Safariland Comp III or Jetloaders

Seems the Jetloaders are considered a hair better, but they're typically a good deal more money. Midway puts Comp IIIs on sale commonly for $13.

Holders: Ready Tactical or North Mountain

Both seem to be well liked by all.

Speedloaders: Safariland Comp III or Jetloaders

Seems the Jetloaders are considered a hair better, but they're typically a good deal more money. Midway puts Comp IIIs on sale commonly for $13.

Indeed, the JetLoaders are more expensive. For me, it is worth it, but I know master-level SSR shooters using Comp IIIs, and I'm only a master level shooter in my dreams...

Hello: I appreciate the great info. I will buy some Jetloaders to try also. I have one Safariland Comp III that I turned down to "Bubberize" it and it seems to release alot easier. I don't have the M66 yet but hopefully in a month or so. As for holsters I have a bunch of Comp-Tacs for other pistols but may order one for the revolver to try. I don't like that they charge extra for the M66. I will also give Chris a call on the Ready Tactical stuff also. Thanks, Eric

Fixing to be in the same boat as you. I got a 66-2 torn all apart and will likely go comp tac holster, running my n frame in one. And north mtn holders too for my clips, I will probably not stray for the speed loader holders. Cannot wait to shoot ssr.

Fixing to be in the same boat as you. I got a 66-2 torn all apart and will likely go comp tac holster, running my n frame in one. And north mtn holders too for my clips, I will probably not stray for the speed loader holders. Cannot wait to shoot ssr.

Comp-tac doesn't make a K frame holster. <_<

Eric

Every major match that I see Gregg Garrett at I go rub my other brand of holster up against him and tell him that I could be wearing one of his except "YOU DON"T MAKE ONE". :roflol:

He said that he may start shooting some revolver so maybe his line would expand when he does.

Hello: How well will the L frame holster work on the K frame? Can it be tightened down some to fit or does it rattle badly? Thanks, Eric

I've never tried with my K-frame. I do not think they'd work as well as you'd want, especially if we're talking competition use. Their cylinders are different diameters, in addition to other differences, and a lot of the retention comes from the friction around the cylinder and its appropriately sized fit there.

Maybe someone who's tried can confirm or deny my suspicions.

Hello: How well will the L frame holster work on the K frame? Can it be tightened down some to fit or does it rattle badly? Thanks, Eric

I doubt it would work at all. Bladetech and ReadyTactical make holsters for the K-frame.