Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open Pistol

OR1911

Gentlemen, I am new to this forum and I need your help evaluating a new open gun. I have been shooting "Limited" and I am ready to take the plunge and order an Open pistol. I already have everything in 9mm for my Dillion, so I would like to go 9 major. I am thinking about ordering a Limcat "Razorcat". I hope there is some Limcat owners out there that can give me their opinion on their pistols. Its a big investment and I want to hear all the pro's and cons of the Razorcat. My biggest priority (besides quality), is I want an accurate and flat shooting pistol. I value your opinions and Open pistols are all new to me. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Great forum, I have learned alot.

I would shoot a few local peoples open guns to get a feel for what you like. When I had JPL build my open gun, I tried about 5+ different configs of guns. It's a lot of money to spend on something you haven't test driven.

~Mitch

Cant comment on the Open pistol, But I can comment on Limcat as a company, and Johnny Lim as a Builder. I have had my Limcat Wildcat for about 11 months now. I have over 10,000 rounds through it, and it has been awesome to say the least. A few weeks ago the pin that pins the grip safety became loose, causing the grip safety to move around. I called Johnny, and in a few days, I received a new Mainspring housing with new pin installed, this part cost me nothing. Limcats guns are garenteed for life, if you break it, he will fix it, and only charge for parts, not labor. I have shot at least a dozen limited guns, and none have shot as flat or as soft as this Wildcat. I Just paid Limcat the ultimate compliment, When I was looking for a new single stack, I didnt even think about who would build it. Johhny just got my down payment, and he even took $500 off, since I was a returning customer.

I don't have one of the newer Limcats but I love my older one. The people I've talked to who do have one of the newer guns love them as well. The attention to detail and craftsmanship is amazing and it functions 100% and shoots amazing. In my opinion Limcat and SV are at the top of the list in custom guns. There are a lot of good gunsmiths out there but these two build some wicked guns.

If you are looking for a 9 major is would shop around. Akai custom guns builds great open guns and his prices are hard to beat. He has many diffrent designs of open guns. He will go over all your options with you and help you find exactly what you are looking for. His website is akaicustomguns.com his turn around is a lot faster then other smith as well.

I appreciate all the responses, you guys are a wealth of information. Since I live about 75 miles south of "UW Mitch", I might try to catch up with him sometime and look at his JPL pistol. You guys keep up the good work and hopefully I will see some of you on a range someday. Thanks!

I appreciate all the responses, you guys are a wealth of information. Since I live about 75 miles south of "UW Mitch", I might try to catch up with him sometime and look at his JPL pistol. You guys keep up the good work and hopefully I will see some of you on a range someday. Thanks!

I would be happy to schedule a time after a match for you to shoot my JPL - maybe other open gun guys would be willing to give you a similar test drive to compare. Mine is a long and heavy. I know some folks prefer a short and light. That's the beauty of trying different guns out side by side - you can see what feels better for you. I usually try to hit TriCounty and Dundee - rarely do I make it far south enough to hit Albany. PM or email me.

~Mitch

I would be happy to schedule a time after a match for you to shoot my JPL - maybe other open gun guys would be willing to give you a similar test drive to compare. Mine is a long and heavy. I know some folks prefer a short and light. That's the beauty of trying different guns out side by side - you can see what feels better for you. I usually try to hit TriCounty and Dundee - rarely do I make it far south enough to hit Albany. PM or email me.

~Mitch

I have a Brazos and a Millennium Custom in 9mm. The Brazos has bbl holes and the MC does not. Both are cut down slightly from full length. I don't make it to many matches (1 in the last ~16 months) but I'm due to get out soon. I'll meet both you guys out there if the schedule permits.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, I am new to this forum and I need your help evaluating a new open gun. I have been shooting "Limited" and I am ready to take the plunge and order an Open pistol. I already have everything in 9mm for my Dillion, so I would like to go 9 major. I am thinking about ordering a Limcat "Razorcat". I hope there is some Limcat owners out there that can give me their opinion on their pistols. Its a big investment and I want to hear all the pro's and cons of the Razorcat. My biggest priority (besides quality), is I want an accurate and flat shooting pistol. I value your opinions and Open pistols are all new to me. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Great forum, I have learned alot.

I have a 9mm major Razorcat and a custom 22LR johnny built to match my Razorcat I'm hooked you can't do any better, and they look so so cool.