Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to properly use foam ear plugs

It was brought up in the Hearing Protection? post that there was a good instructional video on properly fitting foam plugs. I found it worthy of a it's own separate post.

I have been rolling them tightly and tugging on my ear to insert them, but had not been installing them deeply enough. I also never thought to remove it and immediately check the plug as an aid to see how well it was installed.

• 1 month later...

I have been a safety professional for almost ten years. During that time I don't know how many hearing conservation classes I have taught. Employees are always complaining about the fit of the foam plugs. For the most part i agree. The triple flanged plastic plugs are definitely more comfortable. And it is easy to go through the plant and find someone with them out.The three main choices you have are muffs, plugs and canal caps. I personally like the custom molded caps. I seen a lot of shooters wearing them at my last match. If you like these or are interested in caps but don't have an outlet for them or don't want to spend that much there is a cheaper alternative. Here is a link to an example of a cheap alternative. I used these for shooting before I upgraded to electric muffs. I tried to attach a link but because I am a newb I am banned until I get more post..........don't understand that rule, but it is what it is.

If interested google fastenal........go to their site and type in QB2 NRR25.......

.25 ACP 155.0 dB

.32 LONG 152.4 dB

.32 ACP 153.5 dB

.380 157.7 dB

9mm 159.8 dB

.38 S&W 153.5 dB

.38 Spl 156.3 dB

.357 Magnum 164.3 dB

.41 Magnum 163.2 dB

.44 Spl 155.9 dB

.45 ACP 157.0 dB

.45 COLT 154.7 dB

Here are some samples of decibel readings. These numbers are the result of averages of different manufactures of each caliber.

I personally like the custom molded caps. I seen a lot of shooters wearing them at my last match.

At most major matches, there will be a vendor who can make you a set right there in just about any color(s) you want :) Usually around $50. Now, if I could just afford to get an electronic set of these :D... I alternate between my ProEars and the custom molded (static) described above. In the hardcore summer months, the muffs make my ear area sweat which sucks sometimes.

General hearing conservation... We wear foamies all the time on the aircraft when not on headset out here (we have Bose noise cancelling which kick ass) as the Herc is very very loud inside the back cargo area. So yeah, you gotta get them down in the ear canal and expand there for them to properly do their job. We go through them fairly quick. When I worked in the oil field, wore foamies all the time too. The triple flanged type are cool too (I prefer those over foam if you wanna hear a little more) but typically offer less attenuation, so depends what you need them for.

C.