Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open rifle optics

downhere2

I am attempting to set up a rifle for open. I am going to use a offset red dot for short distances and would like input on a primary optic.

The two I have been looking at are a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32mm with lv reticle and the IOR spartan with cqc reticle. Both are at the upper end of my budget at this time so I really don't want to spend more but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

I am attempting to set up a rifle for open. I am going to use a offset red dot for short distances and would like input on a primary optic.

The two I have been looking at are a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32mm with lv reticle and the IOR spartan with cqc reticle. Both are at the upper end of my budget at this time so I really don't want to spend more but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

What is the match you are going to?

Avg distance of shots?

Longest shots you have to take?

Number of total rifle shots?

You might want some flexibility in what you put on your rifle depending on where you are shooting.

Or he could just pick one and practice with it a lot. I am not sure that you couldn't make any number of optics work well as a primary optic on an open rifle. But it seems like the offset hoser optic gets the bulk of the work so make sure that you are comfortable with it.

Rainer P won Open in Euro Rifle Championship with a just a Swaro 1-6X. Mike V has won many an Open match with just a TA11. Even with a red dot, I would still run a low powered variable with the low end being 1X or 1.5X.

I would probably make an exception for Rocky Mtn 3 gun with it's multitude of long range shots. There I would run a 2.5-8X, 3-9X or even 3.5-10X with a red dot in open.

I run a 2-8x with a red-dot on the side.

If I could afford a good 1-6x, I'd go with that.

Two optics is twice as much to carry, twice as much to break, twice as much to zero... and yet just barely enough benefit to make it worthwhile.

First of all thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have had some time with a ta 11 and really like it but would like a little more magnification.

As of today I have decided to go with the IOR 1.5-8. I will make a new post and let everyone know how it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

I have a Us Optics SN3 1.8-10 with a BDC reticle for the 77gr SMK and Docter on the side with Burkett's side mount

First of all thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have had some time with a ta 11 and really like it but would like a little more magnification.

As of today I have decided to go with the IOR 1.5-8. I will make a new post and let everyone know how it works out.

Magnification is overrated...