Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Person that destroyed my mail box

Trini

Woke up this a.m. and went to get paper from driveway and found mailbox flattened and post broken. Wife and I came home from bday party about 1 a.m. and glad I got the mail instead of waiting till morning. So spent part of day putting in new post and mailbox in.

Sorry for your loss. Try putting a smaller mailbox inside a larger one and then fill the void between with concrete. :devil:

One of my drunk neighbors wasted my mailbox, trash bin and recycling bin a few weeks ago. It has been three weeks and he hasn't stopped by to say anything yet. What an asshat.

Edited by sirveyr

So how far was your box from the street? Does it look like it was deliberate? Would damage have been done to the vehicle in question? Sorry for your loss. I agree with the suggestion of setting it in concrete. Next person who hits it is going to be sorry!!!

After several similar losses, I now put up the cheapest mailbox on a simple wood post. Still a bit of a pisser when it gets flattened, but it don't break the bank.

All the neighbors with those nice brick enclosed mailboxes are slowly following suit.

I have a 3 foot deep ditch between the road and the front yard. One bozo managed to jump it and tear out a sprinkler head. Never did find out who that genius is.

Bill

So how far was your box from the street? Does it look like it was deliberate? Would damage have been done to the vehicle in question? Sorry for your loss. I agree with the suggestion of setting it in concrete. Next person who hits it is going to be sorry!!!

It's within the distance as required by USPO cause had one destroyed about 9 years ag. My mail carrier was a butt cause the new post and mail box was higher by a couple of inches than required so had to shorten it to pass inspection. That mail carrier retired a couple of years ago so have to wait and see if my current carrier says o.k. I'm not sure about settings it in concrete.

The kids in my folks' subdivision had a cute little game where they would back their pickups up to a mailbox and then push them over. All the boxes have to be brick so they would just fall over. Dad tried filling one with concrete. Just made a big heavy mailbox on the ground in two pieces instead of lots of pieces. His new one has an 8 ft 12 in I beam down the center and is concreted into the ground. :devil:

When we were living in Cincinnati a good friend had a problem with what the kids at the local high school played what they called "Post Office Baseball". It's a sport where one of the little idiots hang out the window with a bat and knock mail boxes off the posts.

He lost 3 mail boxes before he called me. I made him a mail box made from 10 gauge steel with a 4" diameter schedule 40 pipe for a post, and 1/4" plate to mount the box on it. It wasn't a week later that he called me and told me that he had splinters of what was left of a baseball bat all over his front yard. The paint was scuffed.

Edited by Ray_Z

We have an old milk can full of concrete with a post set in the middle topped with an el cheapo aluminum box. VERY heavy, not heavy enough to kill the occupants of the vehicle but i bet it will do enough damage to the car to disable it. The drunks that drive down my street haven't crossed swords with it yet but i would love to have a picture of the oh s*** look on their face when they do.

Friend of mines Grandfather worked in the steel industry and had his shop put together a 1/2 steel plate mailbox on a square Post that was also very thick. The whole thing is in the ground 6' to the shale and has a foot of concrete on each side of the post.

They have found several broken wooden bats, dented aluminum bats, and bumpers with towing chains attached at the gate to their farm. :) The police always laugh when this happens because they go to the hospital looking for reports of people with broken fingers, wrists or arms. In the case of the bumpers... the people always manage to look surprised when the police show up at their door asking about it and claim they were never there... until the police show them the bumper...with the license plate still on it... :roflol::roflol: