Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Bullet 200gr SWC vs 200gr RNF

carbon9

I have used the SWC in the past but not the RNF, what OAL are people liking for the RNF? ....and what else are you liking about one over the other? I did just order a small box of the RNFs to play with and am trying to get an idea of what to expect in comparison to the SWC. I am planning on using the few pounds of N320 I have but can get a different powder if needed. I do like my powders temperature stable as I do shoot year round here in AZ.

thank you

I have used the SWC in the past but not the RNF, what OAL are people liking for the RNF? ....and what else are you liking about one over the other? I did just order a small box of the RNFs to play with and am trying to get an idea of what to expect in comparison to the SWC. I am planning on using the few pounds of N320 I have but can get a different powder if needed. I do like my powders temperature stable as I do shoot year round here in AZ.

thank you

1.22. with RN and 1.260 with the SWC. I've been using Clays (4.3gr) or WST 4.7gr. I save the N320 for 9 mm minor where I found it is the best. WST is temp sensative like 231, not sure about Clays.

I've shot a few of the Precision 200gr RNF in my Kimber, an OAL of 1.220 seems to work quite well in mine. I have a case of them waiting for their turn when the SWC are gone. I'm also playing with different powders to see which one will foul the least moly. W231 is my fav powder, but it seems to be really hot burning and leaves a lot of moly in the barrel. I have some rounds to test loaded with WST, hopefully will be able to see today how they fare.

I like the clean holes left by the SWC over the RNF, but it seems the RNF feeds better, at least in mine. To me and out of my gun, they seem to be the same accuracy wise. I've had to do a LOT of tweaking on my gun and loading process to get to where I felt I could rely on the SWC in a match. You may be lucky and the SWC runs just fine.

I load the Precision Bullet 230gr RNFP to 1.200". That length still leaves me with .452" of bullet diameter present at the case mouth. I can shoot this length in just about any .45 barrel and not have to worry about the blunt RN ogive getting stuck in the rifling.

• 1 year later...

You can't beat the RNF for versatility, particularly at 1.200. I still like the SWC for the holes they make, especially at a match where you can see if you need to take a make up shot. In my revolver, I use the RNF with moon clips for a speedy reload.

Paul