Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 550 arrived

Well FedEx delivered my 550 today with alot of odds and ends, still need more as I realized I need a few more things. I'm sure that will be a ongoing problem with needing more things. Whats better is that I'm waiting for a 2x8 base to dry from the urethane so I can mount it to the benchtop to raise it and attempt to set it up. Still haven't ordered my powder, primers and bullets but will do that 1st thing Monday morning. I Put one of those pool ball handles on and it fells great. The blue does look great and maybe I will regret it by not getting a 650 but I believe this will fit my needs and then some. Christmas in July

Sweeet! You will have NO regrets. Very nice presss, versatile, super easy to change out calibers. You will love it. Post pics when you get your setup setup! Oh, and yes...you will continually find yourself "needing" other things. So long as the pocket book will allow....and the ole lady! ha!

Well I got about everything mounted and put together today except setting the dies. Gonna have to watch some videos for what to polish and what not. Also proper tightening of indexer and other adjustments. I'll have to get a pic some time soon for some blue bling.

Edited by Bayou

Well I got about everything mounted and put together today except setting the dies. Gonna have to watch some videos for what to polish and what not. Also proper tightening of indexer and other adjustments. I'll have to get a pic some time soon for some blue bling.

Lots of setup vids on youtube. pretty sure brian has links to some here too. But, I think most of them are for pistol setup. For me it was trial and error. Hopefully you have a bullet puller or kinetic. I used them often to load dummies (no powder or primer) for fine tuning seat and crimp die. The shelplate/indexer adjustment is feel. I tighten mine down til it doesn't turn, then back it off about 1/2 turn or so, so there isn't much play in shelplate but will index freely. I like mine a little on the tight side. I'm sure you've done your homework, seems like it, but don't forget the small set screw in the main shaft.

Dillons are like computers as soon as you get the hang of the current press you have. You are ready to move up to a bigger and better press! The difference is, it is not the press that goes obslete it is you wanting to load more ammo. And of course you keep the presses. And have to build more bench!

I've watched alot of vids on set up and I did purchase the hornady collet puller for when I make all the soon to be mistakes. I haven't completely set up everything yet just the press and sizing die. I had around 500 crimped brass that I wanted to decap before I set the rest up. One thing I did find out quickly is that I will have to fix the spent primer catch shoot as the pin is not working correctly. The cotter pin binds and does not close the primer catch so I have gotten primers shootin to unknown places. Simple fix though but at first it worked like a charm then I started seeing them fly all over. Also I was suprised how dirty the press got from the decapping. Now I need to do some cleaning and grease the bearing and read up on some other areas that need slight lube/graphite. Getting the indexing set with the shell plate and star was a little confusing due to the manual and pics but I believe I have it correct for now. The press came set up for large primers so I got to take some things apart and put back together. Now I need to read/watch some videos on the fail safe rod for proper compression of the spring. All in all I'm very happy even doing everything by myself but rest assured that I will have alot of questions. Now to order some primers, powder and boolits.

I've watched alot of vids on set up and I did purchase the hornady collet puller for when I make all the soon to be mistakes. I haven't completely set up everything yet just the press and sizing die. I had around 500 crimped brass that I wanted to decap before I set the rest up. One thing I did find out quickly is that I will have to fix the spent primer catch shoot as the pin is not working correctly. The cotter pin binds and does not close the primer catch so I have gotten primers shootin to unknown places. Simple fix though but at first it worked like a charm then I started seeing them fly all over. Also I was suprised how dirty the press got from the decapping. Now I need to do some cleaning and grease the bearing and read up on some other areas that need slight lube/graphite. Getting the indexing set with the shell plate and star was a little confusing due to the manual and pics but I believe I have it correct for now. The press came set up for large primers so I got to take some things apart and put back together. Now I need to read/watch some videos on the fail safe rod for proper compression of the spring. All in all I'm very happy even doing everything by myself but rest assured that I will have alot of questions. Now to order some primers, powder and boolits.

There are lots of Q&A's here i've seen for primer catch pin probs. All sounded like easy fixes. I have never had a prob but have a back up if i do. As far as them getting dirty from decapping, i wouldn't know. I have an old RCBS partner press i make do all the dirty work. ;-) For primer cup and spring set up, I press handle fwd like i'm seating a primer and tighten the set screw. I'm not actually sure what the instructions say to do to set that up but was easy by pushing handle fwd. Actually just did it yesterday cuz i took the primer stuff apart to clean it all. It was sticking. You're gettin closer dude....then....Happy Reloading! Say goodby to the gal pal! ha!