Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My brass case gauges fine.......huh?

Artsville

I don't understand.........i just case gauged about 100rounds from my AR. These were mild loads that i reloaded and are LC brass. They all seem to fit just right in my dillon case gauge. How can that be? Can this really happen?

New to rifle reloading....I just shot my first 500 reloads but i bought the brass from Scharch so i did not size brass at all when i loaded them the first time.

thnx

Art

I had the same problem until a friend told me about the Evolution Gun Works (EVG) Chamber gauge. It is tighter than the Dillon gauge. EVG uses the actual chamber reamers to make their gauge. And it checks seven cases at a time. The EVG gauge is definitely worth the money, especially if you have a match upper.

I don't understand.........i just case gauged about 100rounds from my AR. These were mild loads that i reloaded and are LC brass. They all seem to fit just right in my dillon case gauge. How can that be? Can this really happen?

New to rifle reloading....I just shot my first 500 reloads but i bought the brass from Scharch so i did not size brass at all when i loaded them the first time.

thnx

Art

I don't get it....are you having a problem with them, or were you just bragging? :cheers:

I had the same problem until a friend told me about the Evolution Gun Works (EVG) Chamber gauge. It is tighter than the Dillon gauge. EVG uses the actual chamber reamers to make their gauge. And it checks seven cases at a time. The EVG gauge is definitely worth the money, especially if you have a match upper.

They make it in .223/.556? Do you have a link?

They make it in .223/.556? Do you have a link?

They have both a .223 and a 5.56mm checker. I have the 5.56mm as my uppers are both chambered for 5.56mm.

http://www.egwguns.com/chamber-checkers/7-hole-ammo-chamber-checkers/

Edited by DinosaurMikeGolf

The Dillon gage shows headspace and case length. It is quite possible with a tight chamber and bolt fit to have fired cases that drop in flush with the top step at the primer end of the case gage. For use in autoloaders, we recommend adjusting the size die so that a sized case drops in flush with the lower step of the gage. There is only about .007" between the upper and lower step, not much room.

thnx

Art

You may need a full length small base sizing die, too, for once fired brass.

I've reloaded thousands of rounds of 223/5.56 on my Dillon 550 using standard Dillon dies over the last several years and never had the slightest problem, and one of my AR's is chambered in 223 instead of 5.56. Unless someone has an incredibly tight chamber in their rifle I see no need for a small base resizing die.

I've reloaded thousands of rounds of 223/5.56 on my Dillon 550 using standard Dillon dies over the last several years and never had the slightest problem, and one of my AR's is chambered in 223 instead of 5.56. Unless someone has an incredibly tight chamber in their rifle I see no need for a small base resizing die.

One of mine has a match chamber. Thus I full length small base resize once fired brass.

The Dillon gage shows headspace and case length. It is quite possible with a tight chamber and bolt fit to have fired cases that drop in flush with the top step at the primer end of the case gage. For use in autoloaders, we recommend adjusting the size die so that a sized case drops in flush with the lower step of the gage. There is only about .007" between the upper and lower step, not much room.

so adjust the resizing die to match lower step primer side.....got it......

what type of sizing die are the dillon dies?

thnx Art

• 3 months later...

Not sure if you are braging or have an issue. In general, with most new brass, you should size new cases the first time. You might have to trim them to get them all to a consistent length. In many ARs you CAN neck size only. I would not reccomend it as your primer pockets will open up before your necks split. With a clean chamber you should be able to insert a clean sized case or loaded round and tap on the base to "seat it", turn the rifle muzzle up and your case, or loaded ammo should fall out. If it does not you need to size it more or seat the bullets so they dont stick in the throat.

• 1 month later...