Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going out with a bang.

IPSCDRL

Clay pigeon shooter goes out with a bang

April 27, 2004

DUBLIN, April 27 (Reuters) - Friends of a champion Irish clay pigeon shooter have fulfilled his dying wish by packing his ashes into shotgun cartridges and blasting his remains over firing ranges around the world.

Shooting enthusiast Tony Mullan made the request before he died at Easter aged 63 after a year-long illness.

"Tony said 'I want to go out with a bang and it's up to you guys to help me,"' said Willie Hughes, Mullan's best friend and shooting partner of 20 years.

"So I took the lead out of 50 cartridges, put Tony's ashes into them and recrimped them, and now every ground I go to I fire one off," he added.

"Tony would have done the same for me," he told Reuters.

Mullan, from Dundalk near the Irish border with Northern Ireland, represented Ireland twice at the sport's World Cup in New Zealand and Australia.

Hughes, from the Northern Irish county of Armagh, said some of the ashes would also be incorporated into clay pigeons that Mullan's friends and family would use at a remembrance shoot later in the year.

The rest of the remains were buried with Mullan's parents in Dundalk. REUTERS

How about carry the ashes as a stage prop...procedurals apply to any shooter that drops the ashes.

No procedurals here...

...just state in the written stage briefing whoever drops and scatters the ashes has to pick them up again... :P

I spread my best friend's ashes, Rondy Neil, by his favorite Saguaro cactus, near the top of the mountain that is the backstop at the Rio Salado range in East Mesa. (It's a little left of the top, on a little flat spot.) It's a truly grand cactus, a classic southwestern icon. Virtually every time we were at the range, at some point he'd either nod or gesture toward the cactus. He just loved that cactus, and spending time at the range. After he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, he asked me to spread his ashes by his favorite cactus in the world. So one night when it felt right, I hiked up there and did so. Now every year when the range is closed on Easter I hike up and hang out for a while.

be

• 2 weeks later...