Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KG GunKote?

PHX

Hello all,

I have been thinking of giving my Limited a make over lately. I came across some guns that have been covered with GunKote. It looks like it is a good finish from the pictures. I was wondering if anyone has used this product or has a gun coated with this product?

I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to do this, or should I pay a shop to do it? I have all the tools, and I consider myself capable but i dont know if this is something that needs to be left to a professional.

Last question....what would be a good color or color combo? Perhaps metallic gold slide with black frame? I tend to like more unique things, but I dont want to turn it into a clown gun.

Thanks!

There is a Limited with Gun Kote on it in the Classifieds:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131795

Personally I don't know how well GK would stick to the hard chrome. If it were blued or wonder finish I think you'd be good. Seeing the amount of wear on this gun after the stated round count makes me think the GK doesn't stick that good to the hard chrome..

My son and I ran KG coatings on our open guns for 4+ years, one over hard chrome and the other started in the white.

We had them refinished this year, as both got new barrels, comps and slides. I was extremely pleased with how they held up.

Only have a couple matches on the new finish

post-4241-0-06701100-1310520265_thumb.jp

Edited by Sherwyn

The spray on finishes will wear faster with plastic type holsters. If the holster is leather or has a liner the finish will last longer. The plastic holsters attract grit that can wear through a finish rather quickly. Even the ceramic based finishes will eventually wear through.

Rich

I've not been impressed with any of the "coat" finishes. I have a new black finish that I am trying that turns the metal black and hardens it, but adds nothing to the base metal. I'll post pics and a review once I get a gun back.

I've not been impressed with any of the "coat" finishes. I have a new black finish that I am trying that turns the metal black and hardens it, but adds nothing to the base metal. I'll post pics and a review once I get a gun back.

Is that the Ionbond black?

Floydian

That looks fantastic! Did you do it or have it done by a shop? I use a CR Speed so im not super worried about wear (except on trigger guard)

Floydian

That looks fantastic! Did you do it or have it done by a shop? I use a CR Speed so im not super worried about wear (except on trigger guard)

Thanks PHX

I do all my own work, It is tedious time consuming stuff to get a good result, takes 2-4 days mucking about

sand-blasting (120 mesh garnet), mixing, spraying, acetone cleanup and the electric or gas $bill for baking parts

repeatedly sure got my missus attention :blink: .