Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How can I screw up counting to six?

M1911

I was at an IDPA match on Saturday. Stage six was a low-light stage, with three arrays of two targets each, and each required three rounds. I was shooting SSR, so no problem at all -- shoot six, reload, rinse, lather repeat.

The buzzer they used must have been one of those flashy-things on Men in Black, because my mind went to mush. I don't remember quite what I did, but it was something like this:

The first two targets we were required to shoot in tactical sequence (1 shot on one target, three on the second, then two more on the first). I fire one shot on the first, three on the second, and one more on the first. Then I reload, dumping a round on the floor, and it all goes pear-shaped.

As I reload, I realize that I missed a round, so I take a make up shot. I move to the next two targets, shoot them, then fumble a reload that leaves two rounds in the gun and four at my feet. I pull the trigger a couple times, but those were empty chambers, so I dump those two rounds, load properly, and finish the stage.

The SO was so confused by what I was doing that I only got one procedural. :blink:

If I hadn't crashed and burned on that stage, I would have finally beaten Bill T in a match.

Time for more reloading practice and tactical sequence practice (with three rounds).

Edited by M1911

Yea' ol' buzzer induced comma - sorry to hear that. You're not alone with the whole counting to six thing.

I was RO'ing a good friend on a classifier - that was hard enough as it was with 12 rounds at 35 yards (Merle's Standards)

Shooting single stack, shoots 5 reloads and I think :surprise: , lets see if he makes it up. Shoots 5 again... :surprise:

Reload for the next string. - Shoots 5 reloads and shoots 5 again.... I'm now in pain thinking about the 4 Mikes he just ate. After I get it clear, I ask - "Why were you only shooting 5?" His response was "I did? I was counting to six!" I said "hmmph... next time start with 0" He got a good chuckle out of it.

Practice Practice Practice - good luck to you!

Yea' ol' buzzer induced comma - sorry to hear that. You're not alone with the whole counting to six thing.

I was RO'ing a good friend on a classifier - that was hard enough as it was with 12 rounds at 35 yards (Merle's Standards)

Shooting single stack, shoots 5 reloads and I think :surprise: , lets see if he makes it up. Shoots 5 again... :surprise:

Reload for the next string. - Shoots 5 reloads and shoots 5 again.... I'm now in pain thinking about the 4 Mikes he just ate. After I get it clear, I ask - "Why were you only shooting 5?" His response was "I did? I was counting to six!" I said "hmmph... next time start with 0" He got a good chuckle out of it.

Practice Practice Practice - good luck to you!

The insertion of the Mag is #1, then shoot 2,3,4,5,6, Reload (#1) then shoot 2,3,4,5,6. :roflol:

Jared- I think we all have mental mistakes... not sure what causes them. I shot a match Sunday and tanked it worse than I have in a long time....

I will say this though. When something like that happens, it's likely you didn't do a good job mentally rehearsing the stage. I sometimes make the mistake of forgetting this but it is so important. I try to visualize the stage in my head.... on that stage with tac seq I try to also "hear" how my shots will be, that helps me "see" the stage in my head. I see the targets and "hear" "Bang.... BangBangBang... BangBang" in my head. It really helps...

Brain farts will happen on occasion but not as much. It makes me crazy when I see so many shooters make so many mistakes- often times it's clear they didn't even put a thought into their "program". Watch new shooters... how many times do you see someone mash the trigger when their gun is at slide lock?

You are getting better quickly- try this and keep working at it.

Dave:

That is a distinct possibility. I generally spend a fair bit of time mentally rehearsing a stage, but that one was so simple that I think I spent less time rehearsing it.

Dave:

That is a distinct possibility. I generally spend a fair bit of time mentally rehearsing a stage, but that one was so simple that I think I spent less time rehearsing it.

Most of my recent procedurals have been on a stage that requires tac sequence. Since I don't do them often, my mind is almost hard coded to do 2/target. Hence I know really have to plan hard on these things, not just visually, I play the sound in my head as well. I wish it worked all the time! mellow.gif

It must have been the weather this weekend. I "finished" a stage and had that feeling that I was forgetting something. When the RO gave me the "*IF* you are finished" command I realized that I had not shot the two swingers that were clearly waving 15 yards directly in front of me. :wacko:

• 3 months later...

The insertion of the Mag is #1, then shoot 2,3,4,5,6, Reload (#1) then shoot 2,3,4,5,6. :roflol:

A friend of a friend would think he had a straight in poker when he had four consecutive cards including a 7. Five, six,se,ven,eight.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk