Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double charge

hopalong

Ok guys, I know I need another toolhead or another 650 Dillon, I was using a friends 550 and am used to the auto indexing of the 650

Today at our local steel match I blew the "shootin Iron" up 6.4 gr. International Clays behind 200gr Jacketed Semi wadcutter. normally shoot 3.2 behind 230 lead roundnose but just getting rid of the SWC.

The cylinder has a split 2/3 down that hole, it blew the back sight off but at first glance that is all I see.

Revolvers are relatively new to me so what do I do to make sure it is safe, I know a new cyl. and sight are obvious but all else looks ok, I will get her cleaned up and look closer and report back, in the mean time ya'll HELP.

I am now going to the 610 for backup but sure wanted to shoot the 625 at A-4

Hopalong,

You may have stretched, and at the very least stressed, the top strap. also the forcing cone could be comprimised, I would send it back to S&W to be checked out unless you know of a good Smith in your area. Sorry I can not help more. :(:(:(

hopalong,

The only way I know of to ensure you don't double charge or miss a charge completely is to look in every single case when you pull the handle. I load with a 550B and have had to train myself to do this every time. Once ingrained as a habit, it doesn't seem so cumbersome and you don't even notice it.

I hate you blew up your .45 revolver. Those things are some kinda nice.

dj

Ok guys(and Gals)

The "shootin Iron" took a beating but is still quite sound. I am going to have it looked at by a "smith".

the cylinder where it is notched to lock up at the time of ignition is the weak spot.

right above it is one of the holes pre drilled for scope mounts when she blew, gas went up the hole and thus blew the sight off.

on the backstrap there is an indention where the split in the cylinder marked it so I can reasonally believe that it has been stretched at least.

I have up till now shot .40 S&W through either my 610 or my bottom feeder and shoot the same load in both and load it on a 650 with a smooth deliberate rythm and look at the shells as they hit the 3rd station where the optional powder sensor is. I was in the process of ordering the stuff to reload .45 ACP on the 650 and was conveniently using a friends 550 instead of the ROCK CHUCKER like I had in the past. I really thought I had payed attention to what I was doing though.

Now back to the 610 until the "shootin iron" can be replaced or repaired which ever is the better way out. :angry:

Thanks for the Input guys, I will see some of you at A-4 and if I can get a slot, the Nationals :rolleyes:

First off, I am glad you are OK, and the gun can be fixed, just some pride in it, been there, done that. I have been cautioned about using International Clays in handguns due to its tendency to pressure spike, Brian mentioned something about it about a year ago. II know that you had a double charge, but I would suggest trying some Just CLAYS with the gun when you get it back. There are plenty of loads out there that will do what you need. Good luck, Doug

Thanks Doug,

I have been under the impression that the trouble powder was just CLAYS.

I use Winchester Super Field for My .40 S&W I may just work up a load for that powder and not worry about using other powders.

Quick note: I got a slot for the Nationals so look for the guy who resembles his nickname :lol: I will run the "shootin iron" if it is back "on-line" if not the back up 610 will have to do <_<

As for I'M OK, The biggest thing that told me it did it was the sight going away, the gun recoiled but didn't feel that much different.(shooting srong hand only on the plate rack) the guys watching said I slamed the plate down though.

have a good weekend, I am going to Memphis Sunday and shoot the "other shootin iron" to start getting back friends with it.

SAM KEEN

Hopalong,

Been there, done that. I blew up my 627 about 2 yrs ago. Double charged when I was chronoing. Everything was right at 950 where it was supposed to be and bang, chrono read 1540, couldn't get the cylinder open. Have a good smith look over the gun, I had to get a new cylinder from S&W. That was with VVN350. In my 625 I use straight clays and I love it. 230 grn CMJ, about 4.0 grns of clays and you are ready to go. See you at nationals.

• 3 months later...

OK here is the results of the OOPS !!!!!!

1 back sight, replace at cost :angry:

1 cylinder, replaced at cost :angry:

Smith & Wessson checked out gun and said don't do that anymore <_<

plus 50 bucks labor....

Got shooting Iron back too late to use at Area - 3 but will be running it at TN section and Nationals :D

Looking forward to Area-3 as Arnie has us in a revolver squad with The KING and his better half, I also look forward to shooting with Cliff and the others on this forum who have given their good advice.

Hopalong

1 back sight, replace at cost :angry:

1 cylinder, replaced at cost :angry:

Smith & Wessson checked out gun and said don't do that anymore <_<

plus 50 bucks labor....

Having all your fingers ... priceless.

I'm glad you're okay too. I would listen to the S&W guys. "Don't do that anymore."