Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Palmetto State Armory AR lowers any good?

21 shooter

Not sure if this is the right forum so mods please move if you need to. I saw that these lowers are on sale for $49.95 + 11% excise tax which would put them at about $55.00. Palmetto State Armory lowers I have bought items from them before, but have never seen their lowers. Anyone with knowledge of them please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by 21 shooter

I don't know about the receivers but I will stop by there next week to check out their store...

I will ask to see the receivers if they have them in stock but from the wording on the website, I doubt it.

We did a group buy on them a few months back and bought 20-30 of them. Unfortunately, for $10 more than they are selling for now! I have not heard any negative feedback on any of the lowers from our group on BoomerShooter.com. I have two of them. One went into a build for my 8 & 9 year old nephews build with Nordic Components .22lr upper and the other is going into my father-in-laws NC22 upper build. Come to think of it I should probably buy a couple more in case our current administration gets reelected.

Not sure if this is the right forum so mods please move if you need to. I saw that these lowers are on sale for $49.95 + 11% excise tax which would put them at about $55.00. Palmetto State Armory lowers I have bought items from them before, but have never seen their lowers. Anyone with knowledge of them please let me know. Thanks.

Isn't the extra 11% only if you also buy a parts kit?

From my sample of one....it's great, just the same as any other in spec lower receiver. Pmags drop free no problem.

ETA: I also got a stripped upper from them and a BCG. Seems to be good stuff at unbeatable prices.

Edited by DanielW

Based on the response here I think I might get one of these. Or two. :-) I am glad that Pmags drop free, as that was a concern I had. Pmags are what I use most of the time. I appreciate the response and help from everyone.

Edited by 21 shooter

I don't know for sure but most likely the same manufacturer as Surplus Ammo lowers, made by I think Aerotech... rumored to be the same manufacturer as Spikes Tactical. IF SO, there are no complaints I can find ont he Surplus Ammo/Aerotech lowers.

Looking to get a couple of these....quick question: At what point does one have to declare pistol or rifle? Is there a better choice? e.g. maybe a pistol can be made into a rifle at a later time or vice versa? Please advise.

My last understanding was that at build time is when you have to decide. You can go from pistol to rifle but not vice-versa. I'll have to check to see if that's still the case. I use to be an FFL but that was decades ago...

I don't know for sure but most likely the same manufacturer as Surplus Ammo lowers, made by I think Aerotech... rumored to be the same manufacturer as Spikes Tactical. IF SO, there are no complaints I can find ont he Surplus Ammo/Aerotech lowers.

I have also heard the Palmetto lowers are made by Aero Precision. I have put a couple Aero lowers together for guys I work with, they bought the lowers at a local store, and when I compared them to my Essential Arms and Anvil Arms (went out of business but looks like they have just reappeared as Florida Arms), the Aero's have less magwell flare at the opening and the machining isn't as smooth inside the trigger guard and behind the pistol grip base. They went together pretty smooth, but if you are looking for the best fit/finish/machining/largest magwell opening, Essential Arms is a bit better albeit a little more expensive. If you want to build the absolute least expensive lower you can while still having an "in-spec" lower and have it come from a reputable company, Aero and the companies they manufacture for will fit the bill.

Just my .02 worth from what I have built/handled/owned

Looking to get a couple of these....quick question: At what point does one have to declare pistol or rifle? Is there a better choice? e.g. maybe a pistol can be made into a rifle at a later time or vice versa? Please advise.

My last understanding was that at build time is when you have to decide. You can go from pistol to rifle but not vice-versa. I'll have to check to see if that's still the case. I use to be an FFL but that was decades ago...

This is all true...you can only build a pistol from a virgin stripped lower that has never been built into a complete rifle or ever had a stock placed on just the lower.

If you buy a stripped lower from an FFL it is sold as "other" instead of being identified specifically as a pistol or rifle. Buy the correct parts and build your pistol lower. Order your pistol upper in whatever length/configuration you want and there it is. If you live in a place like Vegas where Clark County regs state all pistols must be registered and be issued a "blue card", then you take your newly built AR pistol down to your local PoPo station and register it as a pistol.

This is how I just did mine :cheers:

P.S. Wait to get your lower completely built before taking possession of a shorty upper...I wouldn't want to have an NFA length upper hanging around with no pistol lower to put it on ;)

I Got one and it a had the Cierro Forge keyhole on the left side after the trigger guard but before the side of the mag well. Who makes Aero Precisions?

I Got one and it a had the Cierro Forge keyhole on the left side after the trigger guard but before the side of the mag well. Who makes Aero Precisions?

AFAIK...Aero does the manufacturing and they are said to farm out work and make lowers for others i.e. Surplus Ammo and Palmetto to name two

The thing is, there is a somewhat small group of true manufacturers that do forging and maching and they brand them out to all the other players that want branded lowers but don't have the machining capabilities or resources. I am sure places like Palmetto have to commit to a fairly large order or guaranteed series of ongoing orders to get thier rollmarks placed on the side

I have also heard the Palmetto lowers are made by Aero Precision. I have put a couple Aero lowers together for guys I work with, they bought the lowers at a local store, and when I compared them to my Essential Arms and Anvil Arms (went out of business but looks like they have just reappeared as Florida Arms), the Aero's have less magwell flare at the opening and the machining isn't as smooth inside the trigger guard and behind the pistol grip base. They went together pretty smooth, but if you are looking for the best fit/finish/machining/largest magwell opening, Essential Arms is a bit better albeit a little more expensive. If you want to build the absolute least expensive lower you can while still having an "in-spec" lower and have it come from a reputable company, Aero and the companies they manufacture for will fit the bill.

Just my .02 worth from what I have built/handled/owned

Ahhh yes Aero precision, not Aerotech, thank you very much! I was typing off the top of my head without looking anything up for refrence.

I typically like to use DPMS lowers for my builds, but they are pricy (since I have to pay retail). If only I had my FFL, I could save $75 on every build.