Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Round Nose vs Hollow Point: Any accuracy differences?

cache

Depending on the load....... ;)

A load that is normally a one hole load at 35yds with a jhp will blow out to 3-5inches at 35yds by replacing the jhp with a fmj. This is one example of a 9mm load. When you get to heavier bullets like the 147s the FMJ/CMJ will normally shoot pretty close to JHPs.

In the 115-124 gr bullet weight in 9mm the jhp is much more accurate at distances at 20yards and out. It just depends on how much accuracy you need/want, and what you are trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps,

DougC

Since you can coat the base of a bullet with wax and, when retrieved, the wax is still unmelted, I have no idea how the lead could be melting considering its heat capacity and time of exposure.

Then again, I don't notice smoke from my lead loads, so what do I know.

I like JHPs because they are almost universally accurate. I don't like FMJ because they are "boring" to me. I would much rather work up a cast SWC load than load those round nose boring bullets. I rate them as just a little better than a L-RN bullet.

However, a FMJ-FP is certainly of minor interest. At least there is some flat meplate.

As the general rule, the JHP's will be more accurate. Just how much more - depends on a gun. I have one where they are close, and I have another one where there is a difference of a factor of 3 or 4.

Another considerations - some guns don't like JHP's - one of my open guns will fail to feed it once in 200 rounds or so. So for that one I use CMJ's with very small, practically insignificant loss of accuracy.

Hollowpoints are longer than comparable weight FMJ's so there's more bullet for the rifling to stabilize.

The final stamping operation in thier construction is at the nose, instead of the base as in a FMJ. An imperfection in the final operation of making a JHP still tends to result in a bullet that flies straight. (If you want to try an experiment, grab 10 cast lead bullets and a file. Cut a groove in the tips of 5, and the bases of the other five. Fire for effect)

If your gun feeds them well, I'd be surprised if you didn't notice an improvement in accuracy.