Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which M&P to buy?

promod1385

Hello all.

I am a new USPSA shooter, just about to get my SS classification. My plan is to buy an M&P in .40, shoot production for my winter indoor league and then send the gun off for some slide lightening and mag well so I can shoot Limited next year.

Which M&P should I get? I like the idea of the Pro for the extra barrel length. Any of you guys running worked over .40Pro's in limited wish you had a shorter gun?

Has anyone done a limited gun on a regular size .40 yet? If so please chime in and give thoughts on your gun.

I am new to the game just trying to learn all I can. Thanks in advance.

I'll second the Pro model. Weight difference is ????? The slide profile is different from the FS to the Pro. The FS is wider while the Pro is a little narrower at the top and longer. The longer sight radius is what I'd go after for a limited gun since there is very little weight difference.

I've also noticed a trend that the Pro models are actually more accurate. I've seen quite a few FS models with marginal accuracy (larger than 4" groups at 25y). Every Pro I've shot has been great in comparison.

I would still have the Apex kit installed to the Pro, then once you shoot limited reduce the pretravel.

I went with the 5" 9mm for production. I believe there is a 5" .40 non-pro model out there. I found that i replaced the sights, trigger and added a "bump kit thing" to my gun. I saved a few bucks over the pro model and i think i came out with a better gun. If i would do it all again i would go with the .40 and shoot produciton with .40 minor loads in the gun.

I believe you are incorrect....there in NOT a long slide "non pro" version reflected on $&W website. More importantly, I am not sure how quickly you plan on purchasing, but my research suggest this .40 Pro 5 inch model won't be available until November.

I believe you are incorrect....there in NOT a long slide "non pro" version reflected on $&W website. More importantly, I am not sure how quickly you plan on purchasing, but my research suggest this .40 Pro 5 inch model won't be available until November.

Why, are they out of stock everywhere? Myself, and a lot of other people have the .40 pro 5". Great limited gun!

STI, do you know what the story is here? I have been looking for the M&P Pro 40, unsuccessfully, and can have some patience, but don't want to wait until November.

Maybe my local GS has some good connections. But i ordered my M&P last month they ordered it on a friday and i had it by wed the next week. Now what i have found hard to get is mags for it im finally up to 4 took some shopping around paying diffrent prices for em anywhere from $35-$42 for one. Other thing im having problems with is the holster setup i want is out of stock and has been for awhile.

LOL i just got my mag ext. from ya 3 days ago wish i new you had em in stock. Hopefully you have the apex comp and another mag ext in stock just ordered them need to get em in and get some range time in.

Edited by Roundguy

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the long-time shooters I have met are using the 5" guns, but they are hard to come by. I started with a 4.25" 40, and I am still using it, to which I have added an Apex AEK, Dawson FO front sights, Dawson fixed rear, and SSS ESP magwell. I just got my M&P 40 Pro last week and haven't shot it yet but plan to move forward with it and keep my original 40 as a back-up gun. Was told today by my gun guy that S&W currently has a contract with BATFE and a foreign government to provide them with weapons so guns are slow coming out of their facility right now