Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Powder To Get At Least 2850 FPS

DyNo!

With a 17" 1:8 Barrel.

Reloader 15?

Varget was what I used to use but it meters so terribly that I'd notice the difference in POI with a magnified optic.

Edited by DyNo!

With a 17" 1:8 Barrel.

Reloader 15?

Varget was what I used to use but it meters so terribly that I'd notice the difference in POI with a magnified optic.

Are you shooting benchrest or 3gun? Varget works well, if you're paranoid weigh each charge. RL 15 meters a bit better. Both work well with heavier bullets in .223. Alliant just released a powder that has the lack of temperature sensitivity of Varget with smaller grains, AR Comp is it's name.

If you're loading on a progressive press, slow down on your strokes, let the powder move through the measure as smoothly as possible. Or get TAC...a ball powder.

I've used TAC and Reloder 15 in the past.

I now use X-Term for my ball loads (close) and H4895 for my stick loads (far).

X-Term was softer and gave better velocities than TAC.

H4895 gave better velocities and was more temp insensitive than R15.

So I'd steer you to H4895 for a stick powder or X-Term for a ball powder. If you work up your loads you should get 2850 fps with 69's with either powder.

Are you shooting benchrest or 3gun? Varget works well, if you're paranoid weigh each charge.

For the last 2 majors I'd been shooting 23.5 grains under a 75 OTM with success in Limited. It held 2 MOA consistently but I feel with a 4X optic, I can shoot tighter.

I went down today to develop a load for Open and I was planning to load:

Under a 69 grain bullet.

I set my powder measure for 25.3 grains and threw the following charges (Not in order):

:roflol:

I'll give TAC a shot! :cheers:

• 2 months later...