Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass .45

randy01

What ever I pick up from the range or from the brassman - especially in 45.

Because of the Lee FCD (see my other post), I don't have any problems with rounds chambering, and because the 45ACP is a low pressure round, I can reload it 25 or 30 times.

Starline or Winchester.

Both are at the top of the heap regardless of what caliber you're discussing. Most of the other brands tend to be crap in certain calibers. Federal and Remington most certainly fall into that category for me. In this instance Federal brass is good for the .45 auto, but Remington has such thin walls that getting good bullet tension with jacketed bullets can be difficult to impossible.

Amerc blows chunks, or at least it seemed to in the past, some has managed to make it through the press without problems lately.

As mentioned Rem is kinda thin, so is S&B, this is not neccecessarily a negative if the rest of your loading gear is just right.

PMC seems to vary, from loose to tight, not that I have used alot of it.

Lee FCD is a good thing.

Travis F.

I've never had a problem with Winchester brass and I've used the 45 acp in IPSC competition for over 17 years now. ;)

Starline is good stuff as well but if given the choice, I'd stick with Winchester.

Remington brass is good for one thing and one thing only...loading lead bullets and leaving the brass on the range when your done with it. The brass seems to be thin/weak at the neck and unless you crimp the bullet to death (using jacketed/plated/copper wash bullets) you run the risk of "bullet movement" within the case when it's being fed into the pistol's chamber. :angry:

Winchester/Starline is THE way to go.

Hmmm Chuck,

My experience with Remington brass has always been good, IF that’s all you use. When I got started I found a smokin’ deal on some Remington brass and, not having any preferences at the time, jumped on it. Whenever it came time to buy more I bought R-P just to keep the cases the same. I will say that I can tell when another brand sneaks into my stock, especially Federals, the case mouths seem extra thick and play hell with my crimp.

Maybe, like you say, the mouths of the R-P ARE thin and when your setup to run the thicker brass that the Remington’s just aren’t getting crimped enough.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

The only 45ACP brass I won't use is Amerc ,S&B. and restamped brass from commercial reloaders.

Jim

Oddly enough, S&B has been good for me. I only use it for cast loads, but the last time I used this brass for 10 practice sessions in a row there were no problems.

PMC lasts well enough, but it gets cast bullets only.

I shoot what ever I pick up and have had no problems other than a few from Wolf that only gets a primer in half way. I started looking closer to sort those out before they reach the press. I am not sure if this helps you out in what you were looking for but good luck!!!! John DVC