Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing reloads

chp5

Well, my shotgun shooting isn't too bad, but my reloads suck! It's hard to get a decent HF when you reloads suck ;)

What do you guys use when practicing SG reloads? 12 guage snap caps or what?

Thanks.

I load my shotgun ammo in two hulls: red AA for shot (the box/carton/drum detaisl which pellet size) and Remington slick green for slugs.

I loaded dummy rounds, dead primers, sand instead of powder and shot un a shot cup, in black Remington ribbed hulls. The added epoxy tot he crimps to keep them sealed. When it comes time to practice reloading, I make sure that the only ammo i can see or pick up are the black dummies. Everything else is out of sight.

I'm still a little leery of it, and I'm planning on getting some plastic rod to see if I can lathe-turn dummies, with metal rims and weight ot bring them to correct balance.

If it works I might even have a product to manufacture and sell.

I have had good luck with the orange practice rounds from S.T. Action Pro.

S.T. Action Pro

They have pistol and shotgun rounds that are plastic hulls with a brass base and a plastic primer insert.

Not sure of cost as they gave me a few at a match, they are both IPSC shooters.

Since you are practicing just filling the tube and not racking the shotgun, I just leave the safety on and make sure the chamber is empty and use real shells. I practice port loads, racking and lock back loading at the range durring live fire. It has never bothered me to practice filling the tube with "live" ammo. KURT

I have used those Remington Dummy rounds from Brownells. After a while the front part starts to wear out and my Gold sometimes hangs with autoload. So I switched to A-Zoom metal snap caps. They do show some wear now but at least they still work ok.

Eric,

On an 870 the procedure for unloading is to open the action, dump the first round off the carrier through the ejection port, then flip up the shell carrier, and reach into the loading port depressing the shell stop. That'll drop a shell into your hand. Repeat as necessary until the tube is empty. How this works on an 1100, I don't know --- but I'd be looking at locking the bolt back and trying this....

Or you could use an 870 to practice loading....

on a benelli simply push the shell latch in so the rim slips past and you can unload the mag without chambering any live ones.

At home I practice using live rounds but have to chamber them to unload - the rounds I use are very low power stuff and I am very very carefull !!!! :D

Eric W:

Like Mike.45 said, just push the shell stop over and the shells slide right back out the way they came. Come to think of it, I can almost unload a Benelli as fast as I can load one :P By the way this can also be done with an 1100, haven't played with a golds yet! KURTM

I just picked up some Pacmayer (sp?) 12 G snap caps. They are hard plastic and have spring loaded "primers." The only thing I don't like is they are very light and don't feel like a real shell.

I'm too paranoid to practive with live ammo :wacko:

I just picked up some Pacmayer (sp?) 12 G snap caps. They are hard plastic and have spring loaded "primers." The only thing I don't like is they are very light and don't feel like a real shell.

I'm too paranoid to practive with live ammo :wacko:

Well, after practicing with these snap caps, I can't recommend them. They're just too light and don't feel like a real shell at all.

My new Remington CM 1100 does have locking safety that I initially thought was a stupid idea. However, I locked it down and practiced relaoding the tube with live shells. That gave me a extra safety measure.

LkyTx:

You definitly hit my funny bone with that one!!! After the tears cleared I thought I would say that that is the best use of the locking safeties I ever heared of!!!! KURTM :lol::lol::lol:

What about weight? Seems like that would make a big difference if you are trying to practice, especially when you are pushing against several in the tube. If they are light, might be easier to put in. Am I off base??

Is there anything on the market with the weight, or is it "make your own" as has been suggested here?

EDIT: Found this at Brownell's: Brownell's Action Providing Dummies