Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a Hodgdon Powder for 9 Major other than AC

OpenDot

That throws more gas with a 124 gr MG JHP?

I searched and didn't find anything other than discontinued HS-7

I'm using 7.4 gr AC now pushing 1400 fps - 173PF to get all the gas I can.

I'd like to lower the FPS to 1350 and get more gas out of the comp with a slower burn.

Or am I not getting the bigger picture somewhere..

Any advise?

Merge if needed Mods

Thanks

Randy

The quest for the magic, however the rules require that you only look where I tell you to look.

Ok I'll ignore the rules, first step HS6, then there are two more worthy of tiral 3n38 (outside the rules) and AA#7 (also forbidden).

Is HS6 very different from AC, well yes an no, it dirty but still cheap, and it puts a little more slap in the palm but less flip. But actually they are not that far apart and your preference might be a suprise.

AA#7 and 3N38 will both require an extended OAL and both push a lot of gas, AA#7 is cheap and chunky dirty but gasses like N105, and 3N38 is expensive and hard to get, thows a nice flame.

I shoot Silhouette it is very similar to AC and TruBlue in feel, speed gas etc.

The quest for the magic, however the rules require that you only look where I tell you to look.

Ok I'll ignore the rules, first step HS6, then there are two more worthy of tiral 3n38 (outside the rules) and AA#7 (also forbidden).

Is HS6 very different from AC, well yes an no, it dirty but still cheap, and it puts a little more slap in the palm but less flip. But actually they are not that far apart and your preference might be a suprise.

AA#7 and 3N38 will both require an extended OAL and both push a lot of gas, AA#7 is cheap and chunky dirty but gasses like N105, and 3N38 is expensive and hard to get, thows a nice flame.

Thanks Ron!! :cheers:

I can take my OAL to 1.180...anything past that is no good and it won't feed right. I run 1.170 now and the bullet doesn't even touch the autocomp at all.

What is a good HS-6 Load, i'd like to give the stuff a try.

Edited by OpenDot

I can take my OAL to 1.180...anything past that is no good and it won't feed right. I run 1.170 now and the bullet doesn't even touch the autocomp at all.

8.3gr of HS-6 with a 124gr MG CMJ at 1.170" with a small rifle primer got me 173pf at two major matches this year out of a 5" gun with no popple holes.

I tried Autocomp as well. HS-6 shot a lot flatter in my gun.

Edited by Pro2AInPA

8.3gr of HS-6 with a 124gr MG CMJ at 1.170" with a small rifle primer got me 173pf at two major matches this year out of a 5" gun with no popple holes.

I tried Autocomp as well. HS-6 shot a lot flatter in my gun.

Perfect thank you!! :cheers:

With 124gr you start at 8gr HS6 and then work it up to the pf you want, I run mine at 1.165 MTG CMJ RN. With AA#7 I shot 10gr 124gr RN set at 1.180. AA#7 will sort of decided your OAL for you, I couldn't get them any shorter than 1.180. You have a very full case with AA#7 and 3N38. If your gun has Acc-u-rail #7 is chunky dirty and it may very well stop the gun from running, should be about 175pf in a full size gun 172 in my shorty..

Like Pro2AinPa says HS6 puts up more gas than AC which makes it flatter but it also puts a little more slap in the palm. Its all about which one you like better.

Edited by CocoBolo

With 124gr you start at 8gr HS6 and then work it up to the pf you want, I run mine at 1.165 MTG CMJ RN. With AA#7 I shot 10gr 124gr RN set at 1.180. AA#7 will sort of decided your OAL for you, I couldn't get them any shorter than 1.180. You have a very full case with AA#7 and 3N38. If your gun has Acc-u-rail #7 is chunky dirty and it may very well stop the gun from running, should be about 175pf in a full size gun 172 in my shorty..

Like Pro2AinPa says HS6 puts up more gas than AC which makes it flatter but it also puts a little more slap in the palm. Its all about which one you like better.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!!!!

I'm gonna give HS6 a try when I get some

IIRC, HS6 is the same as WW540. WW540 is a great powder except it had a bad reputation for eroding comps. The VV powders did not have such problems. They are also cleaner as Flatland Shooter pointed out.

I would suggest VV N350. Lots of gas, easy to get to velocity with 124gr bullets and no pressure signs.

Hello: If you run the power factor up a little to 171-173 with HS-6 it is not that dirty at all. It is about the same as Silhouette but not as clean as 3N37. I run a 115 grain bullet so that may help also. I am going to try Auto Comp after I order it next week. Try HS-6 I think you will like it. Thanks, Eric

I ran some HS6 through a Glock Open gun doing some testing and had pretty good luck. I ran 7.5-8g behind a 124 MG CMJ at 1.14ish and was around 1350 if I recall correctly. I really didn't think it was that dirty and shot pretty nice at the upper charges.

If you wanna get gas... IMHO AA #7 is the King of the hill.

1.17" is all length you need with AA #7 I see no reason why you wopuld have to load it longer. Actually, 3N38 and N105 take much more room than AA #7 with the same PF even AA #7 powder charge is 20% bigger ;)

• 1 month later...