Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring in G35

tackdr1ver

I have a question for you Glock gurus. I am considering dropping from a 13lb spring to an 11 or lower. How light do you guys go with your springs in a glock? Also, are there any issues with running too light of a spring damaging the frame after a lot of use?

Thanks!

Tack

The risk is blowing your gun up for firing out of battery.

As your trigger is pressed, it presses back on the striker...in the slide. Get too light on the recoil spring and the slide can come unlocked and out of battery.

I really don't know why you'd need to go below a 13# spring...for any reason. ??

I run stock springs.

At minor, in my G35... a stock spring is just a bit heavy (to feed the last round out of the magazine). So, a few pounds less than stock...for that application...is prudent. (stock is 17#)

Agree with above 2 posts. I've run an 11# in very special circumstances...9mm minor suppressed. 13# for minor and 15# for major works 100%. 11# with otherwise stock parts is a bit on the un-nerving side.

I should add, I used to run a "light" spring in my Open Glock. I could feel a hitch in the cycling as it struggled to strip a round from the mag and load it. Once, I actually stopped in the middle of a stage to take a look to see if the gun made it into battery (let only would STAY in battery as the trigger was pulled).

-------------

I should also add that, with my G35 (stock spring, major load, Limited rig) I ran a 1.55s Bill Drill at 8y. For an idea of what that looks like, compare to Steve Anderson's video here. Mine was a surrender draw of 0.78s...a little tighter group, and a tic slower at 1.55s.

I'm a big fan of taking what you have and figuring out how to make it work. With a Glock shooting Major, it won't matter what spring you put in it. It is still a 24oz gun. Technique is most important.

Thank you for all of your answers.

To answer the most common question in the thread: No, it is not for light loads. I am shooting Major with it, 180gr MG over 4.5gr Titegroup @ 1.135OAL w/ federal no. 100 SPP.

What happened was: At a practice session I had a few springs laying around that I wanted to try out so when I got to the 11 lb spring it seemed to shoot faster and flatter. I was concerned that going so light would significantly reduce the service life of the gun.

I appreciate the comments about firing out of battery, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for saving me from disaster! I'll just stick with the 13 for now!

I run a 12# Wolf on occasion in my G34 and 35. Guess I like to live on the edge - firing out of battery, lead bullets etc. Hmmmm been shooting Glocks in competition sice the 2nd year of the Gen 1 17. Never have seen one "fire out of battery" nor blown one up with lead bullets. :surprise:

I run a 12# Wolf on occasion in my G34 and 35. Guess I like to live on the edge - firing out of battery, lead bullets etc. Hmmmm been shooting Glocks in competition sice the 2nd year of the Gen 1 17. Never have seen one "fire out of battery" nor blown one up with lead bullets. :surprise:

You are most fortunate. I've witnessed 4 or 5 fire "out of battery" both in competitions and training with LEO. I've seen 7 blow up shooting lead bullets... 9, 40 and 45.

Great friend of mine shot lead bullets in his Glock 17L and his 22 at major for several years. He was at a very expensive training class and blew the barrel out at the chamber, cracked the slide on his 22 and injured his hand, thankfully a minor injury. The only salvaged part was the frame.

Love the Glock and have shot competitions with them since they arrived in the US. Still carry them at work and for personal protection. They are designed by man, operated by man, and like everything else subject to failure. The more that they are altered the chance increases.

Glocks are not the only ones that blow up. I have seen Sigs, HKs and multiple 1911s blown up. 99.9% of the time it was the operators fault. You do, on occasion, have to clean your gun. ;)

You aren't the average Glock owner. You have years and years of experience...doing silly stuff. :):):)