Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Limited Mag (Red Follower) Sticking - Why?

kwesi

When ejecting the factory mag is stops 1 1/2" meeting resistance then I have to pull it out. But the mag from Henning with the aluminum base (marked K10) drops right out. Same thing when inserting. I had not heard of this with the factory supplied mag. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

After ejecting the factory mag several times now it is dropping all the way out a few times???

Edited by kwesi

When ejecting the factory mag is stops 1 1/2" meeting resistance then I have to pull it out. But the mag from Henning with the aluminum base (marked K10) drops right out. Same thing when inserting. I had not heard of this with the factory supplied mag. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

After ejecting the factory mag several times now it is dropping all the way out a few times???

Hey Kwesi, Try some ink, paint marker or white out on the mag & try fitting with the grips off.

This should reveal where the snag is.

Floydian

Hey Kwesi, Try some ink, paint marker or white out on the mag & try fitting with the grips off.

This should reveal where the snag is.

Floydian

I was wondering if the grips could be causing this. Has this been a known issue with the factory mags?

If the mag that sticks has a red follower then it is the old style mag that is now out of production. Henning sent you the New Mec-Gar/Tangfolio mag marked K10 and has a black follower. Mec-Gar is now the OEM for Tangfolio. I use H500 pads from Henning on my K10's. They take the round count

up two to 16 but run great. I shot a box of PRVI 180gr JHP thru my Hunter yesterday with no issues.

If the mag that sticks has a red follower then it is the old style mag that is now out of production.

I just got off the phone with Richard at EAA. I explained that my empty chrome factory mag (with red follower) was sticking. He explained that having a "red follower" is not a 100% indication that they were made by the other company. He further explained that there was a period of time that the red were still used when they switched back to MecGar. All current production do have black followers. He said I could send my factory chrome mag and they would replace it BUT not with a chrome mag :-(. He did say I could include a note telling them to use the chrome base pad on the black replacement mag! I'm going to keep messing with it for a while longer as I would prefer to keep the chrome mag.

Are you sure that the top round in the mag is not sliding forward, preventing the mag from droppin? Check the feed lip specs.

This was the issue on my SP01. The sharp edge at the bottom of the breechface was stripping the top round forward when it chambered the current round. The way I was able to correct it was to slightly break the bottom of the breechface.

I just got off the phone with Richard at EAA. I explained that my empty chrome factory mag (with red follower) was sticking. He explained that having a "red follower" is not a 100% indication that they were made by the other company. He further explained that there was a period of time that the red were still used when they switched back to MecGar. All current production do have black followers. He said I could send my factory chrome mag and they would replace it BUT not with a chrome mag :-(. He did say I could include a note telling them to use the chrome base pad on the black replacement mag! I'm going to keep messing with it for a while longer as I would prefer to keep the chrome mag.

Would you rather have one that works, or one that is pretty?? ;)

Are you sure that the top round in the mag is not sliding forward, preventing the mag from droppin? Check the feed lip specs.

This was the issue on my SP01. The sharp edge at the bottom of the breechface was stripping the top round forward when it chambered the current round. The way I was able to correct it was to slightly break the bottom of the breechface.

NEALIO is right again. A mag that works pretty well could get you killed. Mags have to work 100% or it's a broken part in your gun.

I don't know about you but i've spent 100's of dollars trying to get Old red follower mags in 10mm & .40 to shoot the whole mag w/o any issues. That's now a non-issue with the new K Series mags. I have them in 10mm,9mm,38S & .40. Thirteen different brands of ammo have gone thru these mags.

With the new mags you don't have to worry about OAL, feed lips or calipers. You just put the ammo in the mag and the gun shoots. Try Hennings mag

NEALIO is right again. A mag that works pretty well could get you killed. Mags have to work 100% or it's a broken part in your gun.

I don't know about you but i've spent 100's of dollars trying to get Old red follower mags in 10mm & .40 to shoot the whole mag w/o any issues. That's now a non-issue with the new K Series mags. I have them in 10mm,9mm,38S & .40. Thirteen different brands of ammo have gone thru these mags.

With the new mags you don't have to worry about OAL, feed lips or calipers. You just put the ammo in the mag and the gun shoots. Try Hennings mag

I agree with both of you. My 2nd mag is from Hennings. I just compared the top of each mag and they are way different. I removed the grips and it appears the factory mag meets a little resistance a couple inches after insertion. If after testing it I find that their are feeding issues then of course I'll send it back to EAA and have them install my base pad on the newer K10 mag.

BTW: what were the issues of the problem mags with the red followers? Feeding issues, locking in, etc?

Issues: All of the above & very poor quality control. Tubes measured all over the chart.

Mec-Gar is OEM for Sig, H&K, CZ and many others. On Sig mags the tube is etched Mec-Gar on one side and Sig on the other.

david

BTW: what were the issues of the problem mags with the red followers? Feeding issues, locking in, etc?

The older mags assumed perfectly in spec ammo, so part of the mag that transitions from double to single stack was not tight enough. Reloads would usually nosedive. They were just of poor design. The follower itself was fine, it was the shape of the mag tubes. The new MecGar made tubes take into account variances in the case dimensions better and will feed reloads, factory ammo, or whatever much better.

It seems like the tubes themselves were well made, just made to a bad spec.

I had issues with SOME of the red followers in my .45 Limited, I had two distinct styles of them. Here's an old photo the differences.

FOLLOWERS.jpg

MAGS.jpg

followup.jpg

It's funny until I read this thread I'd forgotten I had problems with them. One thing they did (problem) was they would miss the slide lock and kind of wedge in there. The mag wouldn't drop and when you stripped it the slide would close because the slide would lock back on the rear of the follower.

mag.jpg

followloack.jpg

IIRC I ended up swapping them all for black Caspian .40 ones and it worked fine after that.

Edited by cas

• 3 weeks later...