Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grooves or no grooves, and tungsten guide rods

maestro pistolero

1. I have a G35/Gen4 that I am about to send to Lane Owen from Cold Bore Custom for a grip-reduction like the one on my G19/Gen3 (pictured below). This G35 will carried occasionally.

I love the feel of this G19. It came to me already modded with the finger grooves removed, and I am fine with it. But now I have to decide whether to have them removed from the G35 as part of the grip reduction package.

I realize that is is purely a personal decision, and part of me would like to have commonality between my two Glocks. But what, besides purely subjective preference, should I consider in whether or not to do this?

I don't have any specific objection to the finger grooves, nor do I perceive a huge benefit from them.

I guess I'm just looking for input on what factors to consider in deciding whether to ditch the finger grooves.

2. My brother just put titanium tungsten guide rods in both his Gen 4s (19 and a 17) in order to add heft to them. Both of his pistols are primarily carry weapons (one duty gun and one off-duty gun)

What do you all see as the benefits/downsides to doing this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

post-31349-0-95118800-1309039922_thumb.j

Edited by maestro pistolero

Did you mean a tungsten guide rod by any chance?

I really like that grip job, but I kinda chuckled when I saw the factory sights. All that money spent on a custom grip, but the guy couldn't put some decent sights on the gun before he sold it to ya. :wacko:

This is just me but... A G35 is not what I would consider for a carry gun. Second, the last thing I would do to a gun that is going to be carried is add weight to it. If you want to use this to compete in Limited then you might want to get a full length steel rod for competition, but other than that I would stick with the stock guide rod.

Did you mean a tungsten guide rod by any chance?

I really like that grip job, but I kinda chuckled when I saw the factory sights. All that money spent on a custom grip, but the guy couldn't put some decent sights on the gun before he sold it to ya. :wacko:

YES TUNGSTEN! Thanks, I will change the OP to reflect that.

BTW, I practically STOLE the pistol so I didn't mind changing the sights immediately on my own dime.

This is just me but... A G35 is not what I would consider for a carry gun. Second, the last thing I would do to a gun that is going to be carried is add weight to it. If you want to use this to compete in Limited then you might want to get a full length steel rod for competition, but other than that I would stick with the stock guide rod.

Yeah, it won't be carried much, but I am in an open carry/shall issue state, and all my guns can do double duty, pending my mood. The G35 isn't as bad to carry as you might think, especially OC. For CCW, I don't find that the length of a pistol to be the first thing that makes it difficult to conceal. More the width, and the shape and size of the grip.

Sorry about the confusion. Believe it or not, I actually know the difference between titanium and tungsten. Brain-fart!

Thanks for the input so far.

Here is my brother's G19/Gen 4 that just came back from Cold Bore Custom. This is about what I would be looking at on my G35/G4 with the finger grooves intact, but stippled between the grooves. This also shows the trigger-guard undercutting.

(274kb)

19guard01.JPG

BTW, this is the level '2' texturing. My brother now wishes he had gotten the level '1' texturing for this gun, as it is a CCW/off-duty weapon for him, and it is a little abrasive even through his shirt. He took the bumps down a bit with some sandpaper yesterday, but I haven't heard how that went yet.

My G19 (pictured in the first post) is the level '1' texture. I will be sticking with that. I am also going to send my G19 back for the trigger-guard undercutting to maintain consistency between the G19 and the G35.

large cumbersome pic.

Undercutting the trigger guard would also be illegal in IDPA Stock Service Pistol (though legal in Enhanced Service Pistol and Custom Defensive Pistol). The tungsten guide rod is illegal in all three IDPA auto pistol divisions.

Just a personal thing, but I don't like undercutting the trigger guard on a Glock. For me the gun points well as-is. Undercutting the trigger guard just makes the gun point low - for me.

I carried a Glock 34 concealed every day for about five years, so it can be done. Really the G34 is, overall, about the same size as a full-sized 1911. As I like to say, if I can carry and conceal a full-sized, steel frame 1911 - which I have also done for years on end - I can carry and conceal a Glock 34. The difference, of course, being that the Glock is just one helluva lot lighter and carries twice as much ammo. :)

Roughening the right side grip panel (assuming a right handed shooter carrying on the right side of their body) is really problematic if you're going to carry the gun concealed. Over time you're going to find the texturing on the right side grip panel rubbing a hole in the lining of your concealing garment. Really, I prefer grip tape, on the left grip panel only, not on both sides, for a concealed carry gun. Also I do find that making the right side of the grip really grabby does tend to interfere with my hand sliding swiftly and easily into place on the draw. However, once I get both hands on the gun and lock down my grip, I do find I get all the extra traction I need, and a great advantage, from having the heel of the support hand butting up against the grip tape on the left grip panel. So for me it's left grip tape yes, right grip tape no.

Next time, maybe you could post a larger photo. It took 60 seconds to load. :roflol:

In all of that time, you couldn't think of anything helpful to post? Enjoy your dialup connection. :rolleyes:

I deleted the pic. Please be considerate and resize it something a bit more bandwidth friendly to repost. It should take you but a moment...and you should have time to spare (since your internet connection is so efficient. ;) )

- Admin.

Next time, maybe you could post a larger photo. It took 60 seconds to load. :roflol:

In all of that time, you couldn't think of anything helpful to post? Enjoy your dialup connection. :rolleyes:

I deleted the pic. Please be considerate and resize it something a bit more bandwidth friendly to repost. It should take you but a moment...and you should have time to spare (since your internet connection is so efficient. ;) )

- Admin.

Flexmoney,

Resized it and relinked. I didn't see any size limit in the posting guidelines for pics, so I have to guess. I hope the new size is bandwidth friendly.

Thanks to everyone posting helpful information.

-MP

I sent it off today with instructions to keep the finger grooves for now. My thinking is that if I don't like them, I can always have them removed later. The timing was good to send it, because the G35 slide is back at Glock for the recall/replacement.

I sent my 19 frame as well for the trigger-guard work, so I am Glock-less for a week or so. I never noticed before how heavy a 1911 is until I carried Glocks for a while, now bothersome, just different.

Thanks again for the input, and I will post pics when they get back home.

why not just buy a second gen glock 22?

Good question. I guess the answer is I would still have do the grip reduction on it to get a grip angle that I like, and it's no more money to take down the finger grooves as part of that process.

And then I wouldn't have the dual recoil spring setup, for whatever that's worth.

why not just buy a second gen glock 22?

Good question. I guess the answer is I would still have do the grip reduction on it to get a grip angle that I like, and it's no more money to take down the finger grooves as part of that process.

And then I wouldn't have the dual recoil spring setup, for whatever that's worth.

2nd gen grip is smaller

post-7365-0-75131700-1309571506_thumb.jp

I sent my 19 frame as well for the trigger-guard work, so I am Glock-less for a week or so. I never noticed before how heavy a 1911 is until I carried Glocks for a while, now bothersome, just different.

I have heard it said, "Once you carry a Glock, everything else feels heavy. That's because, compared to a Glock, everything else IS heavy."

When I go from a Glock to a 1911 (and those are very much my two favorite gun types), for the first few days I go, "Gah-day-um, this gun is heavy." Then I quit noticing it. :)

I fall into the "no-finger grooves" camp.

I also feel that having the trigger guard high cut adds greatly to the feel of the gun.

My carry gun is a GenII G17 that has no grip work at all done to it, for now.

The gun I compete with is a G34 with a LWD G24 slide and barrel for use in Limited class.

Grip work was done by Dale Hunnicutt @ gripreductions.com.

Slide work was done by a gunsmith that is local, and quite famous, however I will not post his name.

G24_finished_006.jpg