Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Trip To The Range

Sarge

Went back for some more chrono work with the new gun. Things I learned tonight:

1. The saying, "The timer don't lie", is true. One particular load allowed me to shoot faster and more accurate than three others. I was doing some Bill drills with each of the four loads I had worked up. After several runs each, one group was much, much smaller than the others and the splits were better as well. This happened even though the load felt exactly the same as all the others to my inexperienced hands.

Loads were all 1.165 MG 121 IFP out of a 5" Briley Barrel. 9MAJOR

7.2 WAC

7.4 WAC

8.2 3N37

8.2 Silhouette

The winner? 7.4 WAC I guess it was making more gas. PF was 171+ and SD was single digits. As low as 6 on one string.

2. Open guns are a little higher maintenance than the old G34. Assorted screws working loose, mag button falling off, lots more lube, etc. I need to learn to start checking everything before each match or range session.

3. I have to remember to stand further away from any mud when shooting Open!roflol.gif I was pretty much covered.

4. I should be at a thousand rounds after this coming weekends match. Time to see if I remember how to take one of these things apart.goof.gif

high maintenance is an understatement! im going on about 9 months getting mine to run perfect again. but AC is my favorite when i went to 9 major it was one of two powders i tried besides 7625. both felt the similar but the dot bounce was a little (very little) more consistant on the straight up and back to poa. however i had a ton of autocomp already and i stuck to it. i tried to many powders with 38 supercomp and nothing was what i read about ie. the softest, flatest, bestest, powder ever. thats why i used two powders i had to have a backup if the day came i couldnt have one or the other then shoot the crap out of it and it will be the perfect load "to you".

open is addicting and i bet your cheely gun is more addicting than crack.

I check my scope screws after every match / range session, not before. If it's loose, snug it up, clean, and move on. Mag release button shouldn't be coming loose (of course neither should the scope screws) at all. Tighten that bi@#h up! :rolleyes:

I check my scope screws after every match / range session, not before. If it's loose, snug it up, clean, and move on. Mag release button shouldn't be coming loose (of course neither should the scope screws) at all. Tighten that bi@#h up! :rolleyes:

good point, my mag release cracked from over tightening. something to check for

Hey Top,

Did you ever try any HS-6 and compare it to the WAC loads? I noticed that the HS-6 was softer at 164 PF than the WAC. Yeah, I know, I was short rounds that day and didn't make it go Major since I started very low and worked it up to 164. I've loaded more rounds so hopefully I'll get to that magical 171 number. We've had a string of over 100 degree days lately so I'm waiting until it cools a little before I go.

I never shot a G34 but I'm sure a little more work. However, I never have that many screws some loose, are you using Loctite at all?

Hello: I am using Silhouette right now with 8.1 grains and it is 174.1 PF at High Desert Classic using 115gr JHP Montana Golds. HS-6 creates lots of gas so you may want to try it. I have not tried Auto Comp yet. Use red Loctite on the scope mount screws to the frame. Use blue Loctite on the C-More mounting screws and the mag button. Don't use anything on the grip screws but check after use. Thanks, Eric

The winner? 7.4 WAC I guess it was making more gas. PF was 171+ and SD was single digits. As low as 6 on one string.

Are you using WSRP's as well?

Sounds close to my load

124 MG JHP

7.4 AC

1.175 OAL

WSRP

I'm getting 1400 FPS on that loadout and zero pressure signes with Federal SPP

Hey Top,

Did you ever try any HS-6 and compare it to the WAC loads? I noticed that the HS-6 was softer at 164 PF than the WAC.

I have tried such loads at the same PF, and if given one randomly, would not be able to tell which one it is. Shooting side by side, HS-6 seems a tad softer.

Sounds close to my load

124 MG JHP

7.4 AC

1.175 OAL

WSRP

I have not gotten any SR primers yet. I am using WSP. They are a little flat. I am going to use some CCI SPP I have stashed. They should be a little harder. I foresee moving to SR sooner than later.

Hey Top,

Did you ever try any HS-6 and compare it to the WAC loads? I noticed that the HS-6 was softer at 164 PF than the WAC. Yeah, I know, I was short rounds that day and didn't make it go Major since I started very low and worked it up to 164. I've loaded more rounds so hopefully I'll get to that magical 171 number. We've had a string of over 100 degree days lately so I'm waiting until it cools a little before I go.

I never shot a G34 but I'm sure a little more work. However, I never have that many screws some loose, are you using Loctite at all?

No I did not get around to it. I may just settle in with the Auto Comp for awhile until I get the rest of the ins and outs of Open figured out.

Sounds close to my load

124 MG JHP

7.4 AC

1.175 OAL

WSRP

I have not gotten any SR primers yet. I am using WSP. They are a little flat. I am going to use some CCI SPP I have stashed. They should be a little harder. I foresee moving to SR sooner than later.

Cheap Insurance B)