Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Sights for a Glock 34?

Bugs Bunny

Am using Novak's {front post is way too fat, IMO} on a G34 {Black rear w/White-Dot front}, have tried SlantPro's w/o much luck.  Bo-Mar {in TX} tells me their sights for Glock are NLA {the one that overhangs the rear of slide by ca. 1/4"}. Brownells d/n have any left.

Think it may be best to try Heinie's again since everybody & their brother loves 'em!  Probably start out with front shaved to .100", leave rear as fact. Sound OK?  Some IPSC/IDPA Shooters around here like Heinie's "Orig." sight as it slants rearward opposed to the SlantPro and gives a more "Bo-Mar-esque" picture{?}.   Does one or the other really matter {or is better} if used just for IDPA & not CCW?  

Background is: over 55, using tri-focals and only a "MM". Shooting mostly for fun and above all to Learn.

Sage advice, recs, comments & criticism much appreciated. TIA    

Bugs:

A buddy of mine is a Glock dealer and he just bought a G-35 to shoot in IDPA Stock Service Pistol and IPSC Production. I used to shoot a G-35, but I sold it. I liked the Heinie Slant Pro sights and I had them send me a narrow front sight to screw on. I liked the set-up a lot. My friend is looking at some after market sights and I'll let you know what he comes up with in the days ahead.

I've been shooting a Glock 34 with Meprolight Night sights in IDPA competition for the last year and like the setup a lot, even though there's not a lot of light around the front sight.  However my new favorite night sights are the Wilson Nite Eyes that are on one of my 1911's.  They allow lots more light around the front post, and just seem to be closer to classic all black sights than the mepro lights.  I see that Wilson offers them for Glocks now ---- thay are kind of pricey though, about $ 120 vs. $ 65 for Mepro from Glockmeister --- and I've never inquired whether the Wilson front sight screws to the slide just like Glock sights or if it requires machining.  I'm thirty-five, with no real vision problems, YET.  It occurs to me that if you still have Heinie's and don't like them the way they are you have nothing to lose by shaving them and seeing what happens.  

Quote: from Flexmoney on 10:51 pm on May 23, 2001

Why is the hell would Bomar quit making them?  You would think they could sell them all day long.  Did they say if there was a problem?

Kyle, The fellow I spoke with @ Bo-Mar was not much for putting out info and just said "They were discontinued" but they did have a few Glock Bo-Mars {"BMCS-GL"} they'd sell direct. Am waiting on their cat/literature. Following a long with this I did e-mail Hoss about his "Race Cut" SlantPros. FYI, He said if I didn't want Heinie's with nite sights to go with Bo-Mars!

I even e-mailed Richard Heinie and all he would say is that if the front sight was shaved {on a Glock} you run the risk of breakage and he would not warranty same. Not very concerned about that as it won't be for the Street, etc. Have a friend who can machine the front.  CGR's $ is +$30 for opening up the rear on SlantPro Straight 8's.  

Have you seen the photo on Glock Squawk from a fellow in Europe who has Bo-Mars lo-mounted in his slide with no overhang, etc. ?    

(Edited by Bugs Bunny at 2:09 pm on May 26, 2001)

Bugs,

I think I have seen website for the guy in Europe, page opens up with a picture of him sitting in his shop working at a table right?

I read a post On GlockTalk from CGR.  Hoss was talking about machining the slide to mount the Bomars without the overhang.  I don't know if he has done it or not.

I sometimes shoot with the guys from Novak's.  If they are at our local match this Sunday I'll see if I can get some input from them.  They don't promote their Glock sights much.  I don't think they want to get into milling the Glock slide (my opinion,... not quoting them...directly).  Hard stuff.

Ummmmm..... "What's Up Doc...." The fellow is from Sweden. Link is: http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum3/HTML/014119.html photos down neear the end of thread.

Have a Novak's rear on the 34 now but it is their "Carry" model. It's worked very well but want to wring out Heinie's. Novak's carry front sight is kind of wide & low. They nake a "blank" front I should try too.

Do you know Kevin Stump? He did a great job on an FN HP for me last Spring.

Re CGR's Lomount, Kinda wary of cutting in so low it requires modifying the slides backplate, etc.

"taf" Bugs    

(Edited by Bugs Bunny at 3:09 pm on May 26, 2001)

I used Novaks on my 17 and liked them alot, but a friend of mine has been using Slant-pros on his 21 and it gives a decent sight picture. I once shot a Glock 22 with BoMars lomounted into the slide, It was great unforunately the 'smith that did it no longer works on pistols (too many permit hassles) but the main problem he had was that cutting Glock slides is hard on cutters. One Glock/one cutter. A bit expensive.

Pat

• 1 month later...

Back when I shot a lot of Glock I used MMC's adjustable sight system. The MMC adjustables fit in the existing dovetail, have protective "wings" around the sight blade to protect it, and are fully adjustable for windage and elevation. They're offered in three configurations, the LightSight (tritium), WhiteSight (3-dot), and BlackSight (plain black). MMC's standard rear notch is .125" but the company will do up custom work with any size rear notch and front sight width you want.