Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm 1911 ss

KT57

Beside the cost of brass, what are other disadvantages to running 10mm in a single stack 1911. One positive over the 40 would seem to be not having to worry about the OAL. I would like to hear all pros and cons vs. 40.

Cost of brass would add up in a hurry. A reliable 10mm SS would be fine in SS. Finding a load that was major with a powder that somewhat fills the case might be a little issue. I certainlly would not want to shoot my "normal" 10mm load. :surprise:

10 brass is harder to come by and if you buy new brass it will drive up you initial component cost(on the other hand, the 10 is a blast to shoot). I'm not sure what you meant by your OAL comment, but it is important in the 10. Like the 40, the 10 is a high pressure cartridge and you wouldn't want to be careless with OAL.

40 brass for the most part is free, easily picked around the range. Easy to load for as brass is consistent in case volume. 10mm can vary in case volume a little from brand to brand will usually be bought new, makes it harder to walk away from when your tired and hot. The little I played with 10mm seemed it was harder to load due to case thickness and length. I load long for my limited gun and thought about trying 40 S@W long loads in the only 10mm pistol I had but ended up selling the gun.

It's easy to make major with 40S@W, why make it harder than it needs to be?

you cant disregard the cost of brass, as that is the HUGE disadvantage to 10mm, You dont have to Worry about OAL in 40, you set your reloading die to the OAL you want just like any round.

I have a colt delta elite in 10mmthat i would dearly loveto shoot in single stack...buuuut the horrible cost of lost brass is what is keeping me from doing it, plus i have developed a horrible flinch in shooting the 10mm...i snap my head to the side to see where the empty went hehehe

10 brass is harder to come by and if you buy new brass it will drive up you initial component cost(on the other hand, the 10 is a blast to shoot). I'm not sure what you meant by your OAL comment, but it is important in the 10. Like the 40, the 10 is a high pressure cartridge and you wouldn't want to be careless with OAL.

My comment was based on the supposed difficulty getting the 40 to run in a 1911, where a 10mm length was ideal for the 1911. I do understand the brass issue, just looking for other reasons.

40 brass for the most part is free, easily picked around the range. Easy to load for as brass is consistent in case volume. 10mm can vary in case volume a little from brand to brand will usually be bought new, makes it harder to walk away from when your tired and hot. The little I played with 10mm seemed it was harder to load due to case thickness and length. I load long for my limited gun and thought about trying 40 S@W long loads in the only 10mm pistol I had but ended up selling the gun.

It's easy to make major with 40S@W, why make it harder than it needs to be?

Can you elaborate on the case volume issue? This is the kind of advice/info I am looking for. I am just taking baby steps toward this shooting sport after trying sporting clays for a few years. I have several 1911's to choose from but I have a Kimber Eclipse that eats everything from 135-220 grain Doubletap loads. I would obviously load down to 40 level, but wondered if fitting a 40 barrel would cause headaches. Aside from the obvious brass cost I was looking for other info that would discourage me from using 10mm.

I shot my Colt Delta Gold Cup as a limited gun for years.

I bought a 5000 box of starline and a 5000 box of Winchester nickel.

Have only used about 100 of the starline, still have over 1000 of the win.

Loaded down to 180 pf, I think I was getting well over ten loads on a case.

The nickel makes them easy to see, so I always recovered most of them.

I shot a 180 gr with N-350 and it was good for both loading and shooting.

I think a 220 gr would be a bit softer.

If I was going to shoot SS, now that there is such a thing, I would certainly shoot it.

When I owned a Delta Elite the OAL was very important. I had to watch what style of bullet nose I used and keep the OAL on the short side. I think a long loaded .40 is the perfect length for a 1911. The hard part of the .40 and the ten is the right mag for the set-up. My Delta didn't become reliable until I installed a Ed Brown .40 barrel and used Wilson .45 mags.

Edited by z40acp