Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me about the CZ 75 Shadow trigger vs CZ 75 B

kriskexplorer

I was able to look at a CZ 75 B today and really liked liked the fit and feel. I am wanting to get a CZ 75 Shadow but I'm unable to check one out where I live so I figured the CZ 75 B would give me an idea. Anyway my question is how different is the shadow trigger verses the 75B?

Shadow trigger is more 'linear' than 75B due to lack of firing pin block (extra parts and spring to compress during trigger pull).

As far as trigger curve is, 85 Combat trigger is the best.

I'd say the Shadow triggers are on average maybe twice as good as the 75B triggers, and compared to even the best 75B's there is still a significant difference (for the better) with a Shadow.

Shadow triggers, saying in SA, once you are finished with the take-up and get to where you feel resistance there's just a crisp break, no pre-travel, no creep whatsoever, the same kind of clean break you get with a nice 1911, DA is just smooth. Also, with no firing pin block, a Shadow's trigger reset is less than half that of a B-model CZ, nearly as short as a 1911.

In comparison, 75B's tend to have a fair amount of creep and felt pre-travel in their triggers even after they're well worn-in, with many CZ's there's the tendency for hammer-camming to take place, you can feel it and many times see it as you can watch the hammer move backwards slightly before the trigger breaks, a Shadow's trigger has none of these undesirable traits...

Some 75B's have great triggers, IMO they're usually better than a Sig's, or a Beretta's, or other DA/SA guns out there, that said, there's a reason so many of us pony up the extra loot for the Shadows without putting up too much of a fight ;)...

As far as travel, since it's DA/SA there is take-up, but my gun and the other Shadows I've owned or shot have very little or no overtravel, so say maybe an 1/8"-1/4" to the break post-take-up with about a 1/4" reset, it's pretty short, even if you're used to a real nice 1911 trigger they're still pretty impressive.

Edited by ck1

out of the box there is quite a bit of difference between the trigger.

Shadow s generally better. Better single action, shorter reset, very easy to clean up and get to a great trigger.

75B in general will have a heavy, possibly gritty DA and a heavy with a fair amount of creep and camming in SA.

With some love teh 75B trigger DA can be smoothed up and lightened and the SA made crisp and light.

the Shadow will always have a slightly shorter reset, due to how CZ does the firing pin block, if you get rid of the FPB lever, the resets can be made equal, but then you will not be able to compete in production division.

Does the length of reset matter...it can to some, and it does give us something to talk about. :D

Is the 75b a decent way to see if you like CZs. I have been shooting a g17 and g34. I want a heavier gun that feels more like my 1911s and limited guns. I can pick up a 75b for nearly nothing, try out, and resell for the same price if I decide I want a shadow or don't want a CZ at all. Is the CZ 75b trigger bad out of the box or jst not as good as it can be. I don't mind Glock triggers so I am not that picky but it would be nice if the SA could feel something like a 1911. Is the double action reset similar to a Glock or M&P?

Is the 75b a decent way to see if you like CZs. I have been shooting a g17 and g34. I want a heavier gun that feels more like my 1911s and limited guns. I can pick up a 75b for nearly nothing, try out, and resell for the same price if I decide I want a shadow or don't want a CZ at all. Is the CZ 75b trigger bad out of the box or jst not as good as it can be. I don't mind Glock triggers so I am not that picky but it would be nice if the SA could feel something like a 1911. Is the double action reset similar to a Glock or M&P?

Well its no Sigma but it won't flick your bic out of the box. I set one up for the wife. Fairly easy, I put a 15# main spring in it and the Competition hammer from CZCustom, as well as the flat mag break. The double action is lighter in that gun than my CZ Custom Shadow, but the single while about 2.5# is not as crisp and the reset is not as short but it is a shooter!

There is a guy in Lousiana that does CZ triggers and they are way better than anyone else has done, the Double is less than 3# and the single is awesome, a guy I shoot with has a 75 he did, I'm going to get the name and send my Custom Shop shadow to him.

Fitting the competition hammer does require cutting the safety bar and its better to have smith do that, my smith did it but had to call Angus for phone help to do it since he was not CZ savii.

Well its no Sigma but it won't flick your bic out of the box. I set one up for the wife. Fairly easy, I put a 15# main spring in it and the Competition hammer from CZCustom, as well as the flat mag break. The double action is lighter in that gun than my CZ Custom Shadow, but the single while about 2.5# is not as crisp and the reset is not as short but it is a shooter!

There is a guy in Lousiana that does CZ triggers and they are way better than anyone else has done, the Double is less than 3# and the single is awesome, a guy I shoot with has a 75 he did, I'm going to get the name and send my Custom Shop shadow to him.

Fitting the competition hammer does require cutting the safety bar and its better to have smith do that, my smith did it but had to call Angus for phone help to do it since he was not CZ savii.

HOLY SMOKES...A DA less than 3#..that is AWESOME. got any contact info??

HOLY SMOKES...A DA less than 3#..that is AWESOME. got any contact info??

I will see the guy that had is done on the 2nd Sat of the month and get the info. It may not be <3# but it feels way way lighter than 2 Custom Shadows we compared it against at the safe table.

I think his name is Nathan of Cajun Gunworks, based in LA. His products are basically drop-in, or you can send your part, tune it for you then ship it back.

Give him a call 318-372-90 five zero.