Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many procedural penalties

Poppa Bear

This is from another thread:

Just curious , how do you write up the WSB to say something about mandatory mag reload after the 8th round is fired? How are penalties assessed if the shooter fires off rounds 9 through 16 without the reload? I am a new match director and I am thinking that I would like to incorporate one of these speed shoot stages at my match on the 25th. Thanks!

Something like "Engage T1-4 with two rounds each, then perform a mandatory reload and then engage T5-8 with two rounds each."

Penalties are addressed by Rule 10.2.4 -- note it's per shot fired with no upper maximum, until the reload is performed. Shooter fires 19 rounds without reloading (3 make-up shots) that's 11 procedurals....

10.2.4 A competitor who fails to comply with a mandatory reload will incur

one procedural penalty for each shot fired after the point where the

reload was required until a reload is performed.

But 10.2.3 says: Where multiple penalties are assessed in the above cases, they must not

exceed the maximum number of scoring hits that can be attained by the

competitor. For example, a competitor who gains an advantage while faulting

a Fault Line where only four metal targets are visible will

receive one procedural penalty for each shot fired while faulting, up to

a maximum of four procedural penalties, regardless of number of shots

fired.

Granted 10.2.3 refers to the rules above it rather than those that follow.

Here is the question. Shooter engages the first array, fails to execute a reload and engages the next 4 targets with an additional 11 rounds. Can you penalize his first array for a failure to reload for the second? Or, would the procedurals cap at 8 because that is the maximum scoring value for the second array?

The rule I'm thinking of must just be for foot faults.

I believe you are thinking of:

"A competitor who fires shots while any part of their body is touching the ground or while stepping on an object beyond a Shooting Box or a Fault Line, or who gains support or stability through contact with an object which is wholly beyond and not attached to a Shooting Box or Fault Line, will receive one procedural penalty for each occurrence. However, if the competitor has gained a significant advantage on any target(s) while faulting, the competitor may instead be assessed one procedural penalty for each shot fired at the subject target(s) while faulting. No penalty is assessed if a competitor does not fire any shots while faulting."

I was thinking of 10.2.3 but since it says "in the above cases..." and 10.2.4 isnt "above it," then it isn't applicable.

10.2.3 Where multiple penalties are assessed in the above cases, they must not exceed the maximum number of scoring hits that can be attained by the competitor. For example, a competitor who gains an advantage while faulting a Fault Line where only four metal targets are visible will receive one procedural penalty for each shot fired while faulting, up to a maximum of four procedural penalties, regardless of number of shots fired.

10.2.4 A competitor who fails to comply with a mandatory reload will incur one procedural penalty for each shot fired after the point where the reload was required until a reload is performed.

The rule I'm thinking of must just be for foot faults.

10.2.1 (Fault lines) and 10.2.2 (WSB compliance) only allow max available shots as defined in 10.2.3 so if a procedural is added on for 10.2.4 through 10.2.9 then total procedurals can exceed available shots.

Which is why I did question 10.2.4.