Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambitious training program for the summer

Hey all.

I have some time on my hands the next few months, and after doing great at the last match I want to go all in!! I've constructed a training program. Emphasis will be on improving as much as possible. I plan on dry firing 30 minutes every day, and doing live fire every day as well - monday through friday. I started reading "With winning in mind", and will try to incorporate it in my training. I cast my own bullets, so cost of ammo is of no concern to me! Unless I shoot specific drills, I will always do what I can to challenge myself by varying the distance to the targets, and will always have a 50/50 ratio of clean targets and targets with varying percentages covered by no-shoots. Mag changes will be done during dryfire with mags loaded with dummy rounds. Unless otherwise specified each target will be engaged with 2 shots. Targets will be metric IPSC targets as well as 60% targets, I do not have access to steel, but will incorporate paper plates and a rubber plate rack. Maximum possible distance is 20 yards.

Monday : Transitions:

Brian Enos' Transitions drill - 150 rounds

El Prezidente - 150 rounds

6 targets at 8 yards 1 yard between. Shooting from left-right, right-left and also shooting T1, T6, T2, T5, T3, T4 - 100 rounds

Tuesday: In/out of shooting positions:

Dice Drill. 4x2 targets at 8-10 yards, 4 boxes placed like the eyes of a 4-dice, moving from box to box shooting 2 targets per box - 200 rounds

2 tagets at 20 yards, 4 yards between, 2 boxes at 20 yards. Moving into box A shooting both targets, moving to box B shooting both targets - 150 rounds.

Same as above but with boxes at 10 yards - 150 rounds

Wednsday: Groupings/precision. (Emphasis will be on trigger control and calling shots)

Plate rack at 20 yards, going from left-right and right-left - 100 rounds.

Same as above but at 10 yards - 100 rounds

1 target at 20 yards, draw engage - 100 rounds

Thursday: Shoot on the move:

Varying targets from 5-10 yards, 4-5 targets. Shooting going forwards, backwards, left-right, right-left. Every week targets will be placed in a different manner - 500 rounds

Friday: Shoot through apertures - shoot knealing/proning - stong hand/weak hand

Varying targets at varying distances. Will shoot through a mobile wall with 4 vertically placed holes.

Shooting 2 targets at 10 yards, first strong hand then weak hands - 50 rounds each

Once in a while I will replace the day's practice with classifiers to measure my improvements.

The above is not a final or ever lasting program. As I progress I will of course change the drills and distances, so I do not get used to specific drills and specific placements of targets. But I will stay true to focusing on 1 thing per session, much like bodybuilders do!

Some might find the amount of ammo used each day as being severe. During my last 5 trips to the range, I often see good improvements happening after the 400 round mark. If I can remain focused I cannot see anything wrong with shooting 400-500 rounds per session. 2 days of the week I will be accompanied by a fellow IPSC shooter who is on my skill level and who is equally ambitious. I think it will be beneficiary to have a shooting buddy to compete against and train with.

So... what to you guys think? Am I on the right track?! Should I do anything different or add anything? I thought about writing down my scores/times to see for improvements.

All comments are greatly appreciated.

That looks like an excellent varity of drills to me.

The first thing that I thought of that I'd add - some slow fire group shooting. You can't get too much of that. For that I'd prefer 25 or even 50 yards, but if only have 20 yards available, you can still do some good work there.

I'd end each day's practice session with slow fire group shooting. The goal being to shoot as small as a 5-shot group as possible, taking all the time you need.

You might end each practice session with about 4 or 5, 5-shot groups. Some days shoot off a benchrest, and some days shoot freestyle, standing. Keep your smallest 5-shot group, for a rest and from standing, to give you a personal best to try to beat, forever.

be

I'd end each day's practice session with slow fire group shooting. The goal being to shoot as small as a 5-shot group as possible, taking all the time you need.

I agree with Be and added the emphasis. Too often I see shooters add group shooting to their practice but rattle off a rough group and call it good enough. Have the goal to shoot as small a group as you can. If you notice your arms or eyes getting tired, pause and recover then continue.

I might add the dot drill to your list

Be careful about overtraining when working with your gun. I've found a little goes a long way. Don't be compelled to adhere to the letter of your routine - instead, pay attention to the learning process and what your mind and body are telling you and you'll know when to move on to something else, or do something longer than how you've planned. Train like the Kenyans do, they only run as far as they feel like. Don't be afraid to take a break for a day or two, always stay motivated, this is a game, and it shouldn't be a chore.

I know Rob Leatham suggests otherwise but you can also save a little of the time, effort and money of reloading by doing some of your drills dry with visualization.

In terms of things to do without your gun to break up your training, throw some shuttle runs in there to work agility and explosiveness and first person shooter games for hand/eye coordination and visual speed. Also work on grip strength with some Captains of Crush grippers (or something similar that's available in Europe).

This is how I train, I barely shoot any ammo outside of matches and I'm 9 months into competition shooting and just made A class. With the way I've been shooting in the last couple months, Master should be easily attainable by my 1-year anniversary if I can make it out to a few more matches.

Good luck :)