Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge ammo selection

shooter.860

Question - what .22 ammo is best for a steel challenge only using shot timers to record stages.

My current ammo is Aguila 40g (red box)and is hot makes my dot jump around on my Sig Trailside.

Secondly - I am a "B" shooter in USPSA and use a G34 with my 129 PF loads for Steel Challenge, recently place 17th out of 100 in

Old Bridge NJ. They dont have the stop plate wired and I shoot iron sights. Should I develop a lighter load? Has anyone done that and reduced their scores??

thanks.

For rimfire, use whatever is as close to 100% reliable as you can get. Seems the go-to ammo is CCI MiniMags. Seems most Rugers do well with Federal Bulk Packs.

I only shoot open guns seriously, so I can't help you with #2.

Reliability is the #1 priority for rimfire, cci sv's are very popular.

Your minor load should be fine for sc, but if you could load it down without affecting function go for it.

Edited by ong45

Second on the Federal Auto Match here, I use it in my M41 and Ruger-style rifles without any issues. If it was a big match, I would probably go with the CCI but for local stuff, the FAM works great in my rimfires.

For the last part of your question, that is personal preference but I'm with the group that believes lighter is better. I don't think I've seen anyone shoot their CF faster than their RF and I've been shooting SC for years and I'm a SC Match Director. I'm sure there are a few but not many. The norm is to go with light, fast bullets - just like RF. I usually use the MG 95gr JHP loaded to about 105-108 PF. Yeah, I'm not working the comp a lot but it really is almost like shooting my Rimfires. Therefore my times are lower with this bullet/PF combination.

Good luck!

i use cci standart for steelchallenge accept for outer limits for that i use minimags, on the european steelchallenge they only use speedtimers to record the time, and not have any problems with it.

if i had to choose factory ammo for 9mm, my choice would be magtech 124 grn rn.

Question - what .22 ammo is best for a steel challenge only using shot timers to record stages.

My current ammo is Aguila 40g (red box)and is hot makes my dot jump around on my Sig Trailside.

Secondly - I am a "B" shooter in USPSA and use a G34 with my 129 PF loads for Steel Challenge, recently place 17th out of 100 in

Old Bridge NJ. They dont have the stop plate wired and I shoot iron sights. Should I develop a lighter load? Has anyone done that and reduced their scores??

thanks.

Probably not. Just about any ammo you use that is allowed will shoot subsonic out of a pistol barrel. I used to think it would be important to be able to shoot standard velocity ammo out of my Buckmark to make the action cycle faster and get less muzzle flip but have now decided that is not important. Rimfire divisions get won by 2 things, reliability and practice. I'm doing a test report on RimfireCentral.com on the effects of comps and ammo. However with my work and shooting schedule it will likely not get posted till sometime in the fall. I will tell you that in some cases, depending on ammo, the comp can make a big difference (or conversely they can make only a little difference). Right now I have acquired or been donated comps from Tactical Solutions, Volquartsen, Nordic, Allchin, and a few people who make their own on the side. Ammo I'm using ranges from standard velocity through high velocity to ammo that is faster but below hyper velocity (like CCI Velocitor). I am limiting the ammo to 40g only regardless of tip design. I have been doing subjective testing to check the "feel" of various combinations currently. Once I have that done and start doing the objective tests I will see how much perception equates to actual results. I am testing for muzzle flip and recoil and how different speed ammo affects those things. I will also be doing some for rimfire rifles.

Right now the only thing I can say is think about a comp if you have the ability to put one on. A good working combo should be able to shoot speed steel and still keep the dot in the window between shots. Maybe not if you are using a mini red dot but if you are using say a C-More you should be able to do it. I know mine does, but if I take the comp off it won't (Browning Buckmark, TS alloy 5.5" barrel, C-More, Allchin mount, 90 degree laydown backet of my own design, *thumb rest [generic]*, racker, one of the above brands of comps, and shooting CCI MM).

Edited by photoracer

For Steel Challenge out of my 9x23mm guns I usually shoot a Ranier 124 TMJ behind 5.6g of Unique which translates to a 130 PF. For USPSA/IPSC I shoot that as Minor out of my Limited gun and shoot a 124 XTP behind about 7.2-7.5 grains of AutoComp at about 165-170 PF for Major out of my open racegun. Have not tried too many other loads yet.

Shoot a Ruger Mark 2 in Rimfire Optic, best running for me is the Federal Bulk Pak 550 with a copper washed bullet, had problems with the 333 match Pak.

You could down load you 34 ammo a little but it you shoot that load well and the gun runs might leave it alone, the old if it's not broke don't fix it.

Second on the Federal Auto Match here, I use it in my M41 and Ruger-style rifles without any issues. If it was a big match, I would probably go with the CCI but for local stuff, the FAM works great in my rimfires.

Third. I've shot thousands of rounds of it without an issue yet. I have no complaints and will continue to use it until quality drops off.

I've had very good luck with CCI Blazer for 22LR.

As for 9x19, go with a 115 gr bullet and as low as you can and still get the gun to be reliable after 400 rds. I had a ridiculous light load that was so much fun to shoot but after 200 rds or so, when the gun got a little dirty, it would not run so I bumped it up a tad. I think a pf around 115 is probably the sweet spot - a 115 @ 1000 fps.

• 4 weeks later...

I find that the same 5.6g of Unique behind a 115 Ranier with a Wolf SRP at 1.223 OAL gives a 124 PF. Works great in my limited Bull M-5 w/10# variable recoil spring. Don't know about my open STI though it is using a 9# recoil spring even for Major loads. Slide is heavier in the open gun. (9x23mm)

Edited by photoracer

Steel Plate Competition:

For my STI Open 9x19 I shoot Berry Plated HBRN 115 gr., OAL 1.138, with 4.1 gr. Tite Group, makes 129.8 PF.

For my .22 cal. S&W Mod 41 I use CCI SV 40 gr. lead RN. Only round that is 100% reliable in my Mod 41.

Both loads are fine for me. I'm a Super Senior "B" shooter.

Steel Plate Competition:

For my STI Open 9x19 I shoot Berry Plated HBRN 115 gr., OAL 1.138, with 4.1 gr. Tite Group, makes 129.8 PF.

For my .22 cal. S&W Mod 41 I use CCI SV 40 gr. lead RN. Only round that is 100% reliable in my Mod 41.

Both loads are fine for me. I'm a Super Senior "B" shooter.

I hear you on the S&W 41. They are notorious for only shooting match speed ammo around 1050 FPS rated. Buckmarks and Ruger I find seldom will reliably work those rounds without playing with the springs. So generally they tend to shoot stuff between 1200-1300 FPS in those guns to get 100% functionality. CCI-MM seeming to be the ammo with the fewest duds in that range.