Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

used 686-2 tips

Patrick1981

Hi guys, today i saw a 686-2, sells it a private.

I noticed it's in good condition, both estetichally and mechanical

NO perceptible endshake, correct timing, no damaged surfaces, perfect wood grips

Very nice trigger in DA & SA, the gap is perfect.

Cylinder can open and closed very well..

What do you think ?

I'm interesting for a reserve revolver for Idpa match in SSR

It' s alway L frame, right ?

post-27397-0-78805200-1308056304_thumb.j

Thanks a lot from Italy

Edited by Patrick1981

Patrick, Is it a 7 shot? I was counting from the picture. And also what is the barrel length? Here we are limited to a 4 inch barrel for IDPA, I believe Canada may use a 5 inch. And the 686 is an L frame no mater what number follows the -. But it may be a 686+. Our nomeclature for the 7 shot. I am not up on the IDPA Rules in Europe so I don't know what you can use there for SSR. I hope this is helpful. Later rdd

Patrick, the only concern I would have is you might not be able to easily install a replacement front sight on it. The newer guns have front sights that are pinned on, but a 686-2 might have the front sight and ramp that is integral to the barrel. This is something to keep in mind, since you might not have easy access to revolver gunsmithing where you live!

Actually you're right, I checked

If I don't wrong the sights with pin is only on the 5^ and 6^ series, is right ?

Some good revolver gunsmith (3-4 in all Italy I heard) yes, but there are far away from my house, this is also the problem

Explain to me, but if there is no pin..with which system is coupled to the barrel ?

Thanks Carmoney

Edited by Patrick1981

Explain to me, but if there is no pin..with which system is coupled to the barrel

An integral front sight isn't "coupled" to the barrel, it actually is part of the barrel. That is, the barrel and front sight are one single piece of steel. The only way to remove the front sight is to mill it off the barrel. Then you can have several options:

1) mill a dovetail into the barrel so you can install a front sight the same way a semi-auto front sight is installed on a slide.

2) mill and drill the barrel to accept a pinned front sight, like current build S&W revolvers.

3) install a Weigand replaceable front sight base.

Mmh, I understand

I saw a friend has a 686-3 with the same sight and it's fine for many years, no many problems.

I have regarded as a reason not to buy? I hope not

I just hope it does not fall to the ground and breaks, or bent

• 2 weeks later...