Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting Single Stack..... recommended changes?

G17fan

I was wondering if there are any changes/upgrades I should perform to my SA to make it smoother/easier to shoot for single stack division.

Recoil spring change?

trigger change?

right now it is 100% as it came from SA.

thanks. :D

Is it a loaded or a gi?

I personally suggest you shoot it "as is" for at least ten matches..

Spend all your money on ammo and time behind the trigger..

Honestly triggers, magwells, recoilsprings etc are waaaaaay over rated..

Specialy when your starting out.

Good luck..

Is it a loaded or a gi?

Good luck..

It is a loaded model....

Thanks for the advise!

Is it a loaded or a gi?

Good luck..

It is a loaded model....

Thanks for the advise!

The loaded is a great gun..

I shot one at the western states single stack championship at the beginning of the year..

It didn't hold me back one bit..

Does your have a GI thumb safety (stuby vs long)?

Does it have any kind of magwell?

You can shoot it as is,but..........a magwell will sure make doing all those reloads easier. And a nice trigger pull will help with accuracy. Also with my 45acp SS pistol, when I dropped to a 14lbs recoil spring the front sight returned back where it started a lot better. YMMV

Is it a loaded or a gi?

Good luck..

It is a loaded model....

Thanks for the advise!

The loaded is a great gun..

I shot one at the western states single stack championship at the beginning of the year..

It didn't hold me back one bit..

Does your have a GI thumb safety (stuby vs long)?

Does it have any kind of magwell?

Here is what I have:

300_Sp_Arm_1911-A1_SS_Loaded_45AP.jpg

Nice gun brotha!!

Throw a magwell on that puppy and call it a day..

I don't subscribe to the lighter pull equals more accuracy school, in my opinion you will have to spend the time mastering the pull in either a heavy or light trigger, a light trigger can lead to bad habits (like trigger slap), and after a few thousand rounds you will only be able to tell it's liter when you compare it to other triggers..

What's important is the trigger break and reset are crisp (which it is in most 1911 by default). Anyway I might be wrong, if you shoot 10 matches and you feel the only way to improve is to change your gun I won't stop ya :)

As for recoil springs, there's no science to it.. Some like it heavy some like it lite..

Will you be able to tell the difference? probably after shooting 10k through one spring

And then switching to a different weight.. Will it be better? Only you will know..

My theory on this stuff is learn the gear you have now..

Spend sometime with it. Analayse the fetures of your gun, then decided which ones need to be upgraded :)

After shooting my gun stock for a year this are the changes I made..

Dawson gap less magwell

Mckormic mags (Wilsons were bad in all my sa)

Wilson tap and drilled mag release..

Sti Novak adjustable sights

Each one of this upgrades came to be as I had reached a point, where I knew what I wanted and why I wanted it :)

Anyway.. Go shoot your beautiful gun :) run a couple of thousand rounds it.. Don't upgrade stuff just because you see some one else do it, or you read it here :)

Do searches on the forum about upgrades that interest you, and then make a choice based on your performance with your gear :)

Anyway brother I wish you good luck :D

Cheers,

Los

Nice gun brotha!!

Throw a magwell on that puppy and call it a day..

I don't subscribe to the lighter pull equals more accuracy school, in my opinion you will have to spend the time mastering the pull in either a heavy or light trigger, a light trigger can lead to bad habits (like trigger slap), and after a few thousand rounds you will only be able to tell it's liter when you compare it to other triggers..

What's important is the trigger break and reset are crisp (which it is in most 1911 by default). Anyway I might be wrong, if you shoot 10 matches and you feel the only way to improve is to change your gun I won't stop ya :)

As for recoil springs, there's no science to it.. Some like it heavy some like it lite..

Will you be able to tell the difference? probably after shooting 10k through one spring

And then switching to a different weight.. Will it be better? Only you will know..

My theory on this stuff is learn the gear you have now..

Spend sometime with it. Analayse the fetures of your gun, then decided which ones need to be upgraded :)

After shooting my gun stock for a year this are the changes I made..

Dawson gap less magwell

Mckormic mags (Wilsons were bad in all my sa)

Wilson tap and drilled mag release..

Sti Novak adjustable sights

Each one of this upgrades came to be as I had reached a point, where I knew what I wanted and why I wanted it :)

Anyway.. Go shoot your beautiful gun :) run a couple of thousand rounds it.. Don't upgrade stuff just because you see some one else do it, or you read it here :)

Do searches on the forum about upgrades that interest you, and then make a choice based on your performance with your gear :)

Anyway brother I wish you good luck :D

Cheers,

Los

I have been looking at the S&A magwell, but I found out I need to change out the internals in the MSH. I do have (5) Chip McCormick power mags with bases as well as 5 mag pouches and a holster I purchased from a cool dude on this forum. They are the blade-tech "Bobby McGee" carbon fiber version holster and pouches.

:cheers:

I don't subscribe to the lighter pull equals more accuracy school, in my opinion you will have to spend the time mastering the pull in either a heavy or light trigger, a light trigger can lead to bad habits (like trigger slap),

When did trigger slapping become a bad habit? As long as the gun doesn't move when the trigger is pulled or slapped, either way is right.

Rich

Been shooting a Springfield loaded in SS for a few years now.

Here is what I've done to mine:

Cylinder and Slide trigger kit

Wilson extended mag release

Medium Tech-Well grips and magwell

.090 Dawson FO front sight

14 lb recoil spring on the factory guiderod

Aluminum mainspring housing (lighter, no lock)

Piece of grip tape on the front strap

Dehorn the factory rear sight---the edges are SHARP!

Edited by open17

I don't subscribe to the lighter pull equals more accuracy school, in my opinion you will have to spend the time mastering the pull in either a heavy or light trigger, a light trigger can lead to bad habits (like trigger slap),

When did trigger slapping become a bad habit? As long as the gun doesn't move when the trigger is pulled or slapped, either way is right.

Rich

Hey if trigger slapping works for you go for it Dood.

In the end it is a much harder technique to master than riding the trigger..

And is more likely to lead to pulling the the shot low..

Heavy or light will not affect accuracy, but a light trigger can be more forgiving to poor trigger control....and less forgiving too.

I guess that's my point... Less or more forgiving, equal not any esier or harder to shoot.. Just different..

That's why I don't put much importance into it..

If you put the time into it, you can learn any trigger of any weight (as long as the trigger is consitant)

Edited by carlosa

Whats the difference between these two. Is one just the magwell and the other has magwell and grips?

Carry Model Techwell System (Magwell and Grips) with Alumagrip - You may mix and match stock colors.

and

Techwell ONLY Carry Model - Stock Colors: Black, Olive/Gray, or Silver

:blink: Is there any slop / play with these systems versus the S&A set up?

Which model is best.... I like the flush to the grips version... Thoughts?

Will I have an issue with my Chip McCormick power mags with standard base pad?

Edited by G17fan

Rich

+14

Whats the difference between these two. Is one just the magwell and the other has magwell and grips?

Carry Model Techwell System (Magwell and Grips) with Alumagrip - You may mix and match stock colors.

and

Techwell ONLY Carry Model - Stock Colors: Black, Olive/Gray, or Silver

:blink: Is there any slop / play with these systems versus the S&A set up?

Which model is best.... I like the flush to the grips version... Thoughts?

Will I have an issue with my Chip McCormick power mags with standard base pad?

Tech well with g10 grips is great I ran the sp for a while then switch to the Dawson.. I'm going to try the tgo next..

You need to adjust the recoil spring rate to your load. Just because a 14 lb is best for my gun and load a 13 or a 16 lb may be better in your gun and for your load. Get some different weight springs and try them. See which one makes the sights return to where they started and stick with it. Trigger pull weight is a personal preference just make sure it is not rough and breaks smoothly so you don't disrupt the sight picture. You can have a gunsmith clean up your current trigger and shoot it until you have shot enough to know what you really want. A magwell will definately help, the Tech Well or Dawson are both drop ins.