Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa single stack division-kimber eclipse or SA trophy match?

bruised lee

Planning on shooting SS.just wanted advice on which of the two is better for that division and what is ideal trigger weight? I know there are better model but budget is limited to that range and this two seems to be best bang for the bucks.any other brand/model suggestion welcome.thanks

For the price of either of these guns you could buy an STI Spartan or an STI Trojan and have money left over for gear (or gear and ammo if you go with the spartan). Springfield supports our sport, but so does STI.

With that budget you could also buy a whole lot of used gun (Baers come to mind).

Hurley

For the price of either of these guns you could buy an STI Spartan or an STI Trojan and have money left over for gear (or gear and ammo if you go with the spartan). Springfield supports our sport, but so does STI.

With that budget you could also buy a whole lot of used gun (Baers come to mind).

Hurley

Thanks.I'll chek out sti. Have you tried the trojan? The checkering on the front strap looks less "aggressive" though than SA/kimber. Does it do the job? Also, where can i find used a baers?really appreciate your reply.

Hurley

Thanks.I'll chek out sti. Have you tried the trojan? The checkering on the front strap looks less "aggressive" though than SA/kimber. Does it do the job? Also, where can i find used a baers?really appreciate your reply.

WOW!

SA 5-kimber 0

Thanks guys

I shot Kimbers back in the day but am not a big fan of them these days. I have 2 SA 1911s and they work great for me. I think if I did it again I would buy a Trojan; great gun for the money. To me the Kimbers seem to foofy to me these days and the SA and STI guns seem like great guns for the money with less flash.

I shot Kimbers back in the day but am not a big fan of them these days. I have 2 SA 1911s and they work great for me. I think if I did it again I would buy a Trojan; great gun for the money. To me the Kimbers seem to foofy to me these days and the SA and STI guns seem like great guns for the money with less flash.

Leaning towards trojan as i read mostly positive things.just found out its not california legal!?! :huh: Guess i'll go for SA after the sale of my production gun.

Hurley

I don't own a Trojan, but have shot one several on several occasions. The one that I have shot is an early example and has around 65-75k rounds through it. It still shoots good and is still tight. I just read your discovery about the CA legality part. This does limit your choices. Check Gunbroker.com for used Baers, Wilson's, Springfields or any other guns. Premium guns like Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson appear at very reasonable prices from time to time on Gunbroker, you just have to keep a look out for them.

Good luck on your quest.

Hurley

Planning on shooting SS.just wanted advice on which of the two is better for that division and what is ideal trigger weight? I know there are better model but budget is limited to that range and this two seems to be best bang for the bucks.any other brand/model suggestion welcome.thanks

AH AH Yes

Hurley

Got a baer! Papers still on process. Its fron gunbroker. Do you have experience buying from gunbroker?Should i pay with Paypal or postal money order? Thanks

Hurley

I don't own a Trojan, but have shot one several on several occasions. The one that I have shot is an early example and has around 65-75k rounds through it. It still shoots good and is still tight. I just read your discovery about the CA legality part. This does limit your choices. Check Gunbroker.com for used Baers, Wilson's, Springfields or any other guns. Premium guns like Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson appear at very reasonable prices from time to time on Gunbroker, you just have to keep a look out for them.

Thanks for your advice. Got one from gunbroker. Still processing the papers. First time to buy from gunbroker. Should i pay with paypal or postal money order? Read that paypal does not support gun sales.

Good luck on your quest.

Hurley

The Springer TM comes with everything you need for SS other than a FO front sight.

Mine came from the factory with a great trigger. I just added rubber slab grips.

Oh Yeah -- many guns in the TM "class" don't have a front strap that is checkered.

Wanted one checkered. Don't want to pay extra for checkering and the wait time.

Hurley

Got a baer! Papers still on process. Its fron gunbroker. Do you have experience buying from gunbroker?Should i pay with Paypal or postal money order? Thanks

Do not pay for a gun through PayPal...

Postal money order will give you some fraud protection...

Paypal will close your account if discovered its for a gun.

I am surprised the seller accepts PayPal for a gun purchase...

Hurley

I have bought several guns on Gunbroker. I either pay with a US Postal money order or a cashier's check from my bank (depends on the seller's conditions). Paypal doesn't like guns and will close your account if they discover that you are paying for a gun. I believe that good communication with the seller (during the paperwork/payment process) goes a long way in making the transaction go well.

Enjoy your new pistol.

Hurley

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't shot the gun in a match yet as haven't been to the range much(have a new baby and wifes work schedule falls on weekends). Fired 50 rounds and sure is very accurate! Broke the rear sights hinge pin though so have to send the top back to Baer. Changed magazine release,grip panel and installed DP ice magwell(wished bought a smaller one though as i have a hard time performing a smooth reload as its too big,palm "snags", need to pause after seating the magazine). Hopefully practice will help improve. Thank you guys for replying and sharing your thoughts and opinions. I'll post some pics and post my take after i run a couple of matches.