Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Molle shotgun shell caddy?

21 guns

So, being new to the whole 3-gun sport I am still figuring out what works well for me. I had the pleasure of entering my first competition this past memorial day weekend. Let's just say it was a "blast." (I know, ha ha..) Shotgun and pistol were one stage, with 18 shotgun targets, excluding 2 slug targets. Ran an M1 Benelli (borrowed), starting with 8 in the tube. Now, being on the skinny side (i.e. 32in waist), I dont have a lot of real estate on my belt, especially with pistol and 3mags. I used a velcro chest harness (I think it was Otto's) with 3 6 round caddies, which seemed to work OK. I didn't particularly like the feel or fit of the chest harness as the straps were flapping around on my back and the velcro "pad" was a bit too long, in my opinion. It would seem like a reasonable thing to simply use a chest rig that you could simply attach shell caddies to. Anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I saw some california competition caddies that were supposed to be molle compatible, but am not sure how secure they would be. Obviously I wouldn't want them to have much play in relation to the chest rig.

I have a small waist like you. I have a second belt with 2 additional SG caddies, and I only use it whenever there is a shotgun stage otherwise I will only have my standard gear which is a pistol holster, 1 sg carrier, 2 pistol mag pouches, and 1 AR mag pouch.

I have two options at my disposal. I have several of the molle compatible shell carriers that I use on a blackhawk molle belt and a regular belt. The carriers move around more on a regular belt than they do with my molle belt. But even then, the carriers does not move enough to annoy me. I would recommend them to any shooter.

Same problem I have being on the slimmer side, and I shoot Heavy Metal so real estate on the belt is really at a prime with 8-10 round handgun mags and 20 round rifle magazines. Having to maximaize space, I chose to go with the 6-shell strippers from California Competition Works instead of the 4-shell. But then came the problem that they are too long to be running in the front of your belt (quite noticable and painful when you have to go into a low position). So I looked into the chest rig and at the time, and maybe still is, the only one that were made were the Otto's. I wasn't too flattered with the flimsy platform and the lenght was just too much for my taste. I wanted something with a more solid backing so there is less movement when I grab the shells. My solution was to make one myself.

My chest rig has 3 6-shell stripper which is velcroed to the platform. I use velcro as I could still remove the strippers from the chest rig and use them on my belt. The rig's platform has a solid piece of lightweight corrugated plastic inside. I also made the straps adjustable and attaches to my belt on the back so the weigth does not pull it down the front. All in all, the materials (minus the shell strippers) cost me about $20.

I've been running the rig along with 2 other shell strippers on my belt for 3 years now averaging about 3 major and 5 local matches a year. So far, it has held up. I use it specifically for high round shotgun stages or when running with a lot of other gears on my belt. For the stages with low shotgun round, I use the stippers on the belt.

DSCN1206.JPG

DSCN1207.JPG

DSCN1209.JPG

DSCN1210.JPG

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-

Same size as you(32) run a ELS rig. 1 AR mag, 2 Pistol mags, 5 Otto carriers, and pistol holster. Can add side saddle and plus 2 carrier to gun for 31+8 in the gun. I have the option of adding three more carriers, mags, by changing out what the stage doesn't warrant.

Cand ot it real easy, just cost's some bucks.

Mildot

I modified my caddies with the California Competition Molle conversion kit for my Molle belt system. They work great and you can quickly tailor your load based on the stage. The wires go through you Molle loops and snap into the bottom fastener.

DSCN2227.jpg

Edited by coulter6

I don't know who makes it but I saw a cool shotshell carrying chest rig at the BR3G recently. Instead of attached caddies or fabric loops it had a bunch of clips that held the shells directly. The shells were in groups of two and end to end as I recall so you could grab two shells at a time. I called it the Allah Akbar vest because it looked like the guy was strapped with dynamite. I don't remember who made it but the guy who had it was from Team Firebird. You could call Firebird Precision and see if they know who makes it if your interested.

Same problem I have being on the slimmer side, and I shoot Heavy Metal so real estate on the belt is really at a prime with 8-10 round handgun mags and 20 round rifle magazines. Having to maximaize space, I chose to go with the 6-shell strippers from California Competition Works instead of the 4-shell. But then came the problem that they are too long to be running in the front of your belt (quite noticable and painful when you have to go into a low position). So I looked into the chest rig and at the time, and maybe still is, the only one that were made were the Otto's. I wasn't too flattered with the flimsy platform and the lenght was just too much for my taste. I wanted something with a more solid backing so there is less movement when I grab the shells. My solution was to make one myself.

My chest rig has 3 6-shell stripper which is velcroed to the platform. I use velcro as I could still remove the strippers from the chest rig and use them on my belt. The rig's platform has a solid piece of lightweight corrugated plastic inside. I also made the straps adjustable and attaches to my belt on the back so the weigth does not pull it down the front. All in all, the materials (minus the shell strippers) cost me about $20.

I've been running the rig along with 2 other shell strippers on my belt for 3 years now averaging about 3 major and 5 local matches a year. So far, it has held up. I use it specifically for high round shotgun stages or when running with a lot of other gears on my belt. For the stages with low shotgun round, I use the stippers on the belt.

DSCN1206.JPG

DSCN1207.JPG

DSCN1209.JPG

DSCN1210.JPG

Wow, that rig looks awesome. Probably took some skills to put it together! Not sure if I could pull it off. I like that the velcro plate is just enough to get 3 shell carriers on it. Looks like there's enough room around the neck (I couldn't get my rig on over a ball cap and ear pro). Very sweet set up.

I don't know who makes it but I saw a cool shotshell carrying chest rig at the BR3G recently. Instead of attached caddies or fabric loops it had a bunch of clips that held the shells directly. The shells were in groups of two and end to end as I recall so you could grab two shells at a time. I called it the Allah Akbar vest because it looked like the guy was strapped with dynamite. I don't remember who made it but the guy who had it was from Team Firebird. You could call Firebird Precision and see if they know who makes it if your interested.

I think your referring to the Carbon Arms TWinS System. Check out this thread...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=125126

I modified my caddies with the California Competition Molle conversion kit for my Molle belt system. They work great and you can quickly tailor your load based on the stage. The wires go through you Molle loops and snap into the bottom fastener.

Looked on there website and didn't see them.

Looked on there website and didn't see them.

Michael64,

It's on this page about 1/2 down:

12ga Tactical strippers

Look for "Choate conv kit 6rd only um84 molle compatible

CCK2" $14.00 "converts old Choate speed strippers to my UM84 ss belt clip includes lexan spacer, CAN ALSO RETROFIT 2 1/4"SS BELT CLIP molle compatible "

That web page leaves allot to be desired, but once you find them, it works well to order from.

I think your referring to the Carbon Arms TWinS System. Check out this thread...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=125126

James and I ran the Carbon Arms SSL (chest rigs) at Iron Man on every stage. Beat them well, went prone, never a failure. We had several customers running them as well. Fast, easy to learn and it uses large muscles with a very ow fumble factor. Feel free to look at the "TWins" thread over in the Enos vendor tents.