Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is an mp5 legal in 3 gun and what division?

EurAzn12

I'm thinking it'd only be useful for closer range matches, or IDPA DMG matches where distances would be closer. There's a close match to where I live that only allows pistol caliber rifles too so that'd be a start. I heard one guy used his carbine for rifle and pistol since it was chambered in 9mm...

One match that I regularly shoot would allow him to use a "pistol caliber carbine", but requires three hits per paper target to neutralize. So technically, he could use it in this particular match, but he would be at a disadvantage.

Hurley

I believe the USPSA rules specifically ban anything with a happy switch.

Anything with a selector switch is good to go. (safe, semi, burst/auto)

If full-auto or burst is the only firing option, then it wouldn't be allowed.

tell your buddy I will happily trade him his silly mp5 for a nice AR, 3 gun shot gun, pistol, and small bag of cash. :cheers:

haha he laughed at that.. his HK21 just got finished being built too... the luxuries of being from Nevada I s'pose

Last I remember, machineguns are legal as long as they're on semi only.

On full auto, I recall it's a procedural per occurrence meaning you can actually shoot full auto; you'd just zero the stage. :lol:

I'm sure the rules in USPSA have changed though.

Last I remember, machineguns are legal as long as they're on semi only.

On full auto, I recall it's a procedural per occurrence meaning you can actually shoot full auto; you'd just zero the stage. :lol:

I'm sure the rules in USPSA have changed though.

That would be so worth it, haha

That would be so worth it, haha

They changed it:

"Should a competitor shoot at a target or targets with burst or fully

automatic fire (where more than one shot is discharged with one

manipulation of the trigger), he will be scored zero and a warning

issued. In the event of another infraction he will be disqualified from

the match."

I used to have a thing for full auto but the truth is, it's possible to get 550-600 RPM on semi-auto with the bonus of being able to do it accurately.

Sometimes it seems like 00Bullitt has a 2-round burst on his rifle and after seeing Clint Upchurch do this the other day @ 1:02 - I'd say that $600 for a rack grade AR-15 is enough to shoot fast:

Edited by DyNo!

Wouldn't "once per occurrence" just be one procedural per stage? After all, you are only switching to F/A once. Now if you were to switch between F/A and S/A and back, then you would have multiple occurrences. ;)

I am sure he will have it in semi.......if the match has some long range then throw a round at it. Take the miss......and move on. I shoot one of my SMG at our local matches after I go thru with my AR.....depending on the stage the subgun (full auto) can be faster than the AR.

I shoot one of my SMG at our local matches after I go thru with my AR.....depending on the stage the subgun (full auto) can be faster than the AR.

The part in red is what is going to dictate which type of gun is going to have the advantage. (I'm assuming a subgun here that is slow enough to get at least doubles by just trigger manipulation. If you're running something one of the high-speed bullet hoses like an unmodified M11/9, you're going to be doing extra reloads.) I've run a number of USPSA stages with a subgun. Granted, they were nearly all "pistol" stages, run with a subgun. I often do better with my Open Division pistol than I do with the subgun. (I generally do better with the pistol than a semi-auto carbine too, likely for the same reasons). Quick doubles with a subgun are good. But if you are swinging between widely-spaced targets, the pistol generally transitions faster. Mag changes are generally faster with the pistol as well, even when using something with the magwell in the grip like an Uzi (magwell out front like an M16/9mm or MP5 is slower).

OTOH, I do tend to shoot / practice with the pistol more, so that may have something to do with it as well.

Edited by Garrett