Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolen Base Pads

TruStreet

Could someone please explain to me the attractiveness of Bolen pads? I used to own several, still have a few, and I honestly don't see any advantage to them. They are the hardest to take off, and in 170mm mags do not increase the capacity over the Dawson, or Grams. In 140mm they give more capacity than Dawsons, but Grams 11m beat them all.

What's the deal?

I was quoted the following:

• Don’t come apart like Dawson when dropped

• Don’t require a tool to remove

• E-Z install & removal

I was lied to!!! :sight:

Could someone please explain to me the attractiveness of Bolen pads? I used to own several, still have a few, and I honestly don't see any advantage to them. They are the hardest to take off, and in 170mm mags do not increase the capacity over the Dawson, or Grams. In 140mm they give more capacity than Dawsons, but Grams 11m beat them all.

What's the deal?

• Don't come apart like Dawson when dropped

• Don't require a tool to remove

• E-Z install & removal

Yes you were.:angry2:

Pat

Edited by Pat Miles

• Don’t come apart like Dawson when dropped

• Don’t require a tool to remove

• E-Z install & removal

I have dropped magazines with Dawson pads thousands of times, including hundreds of times on concrete, and I am yet to see one come apart.

For tool-less operation noting beats the Dawson, it is BY FAR the easiest pad to remove and put on.

Try removing the 7mm Bolen - your language will make a sailor blush.

So I still use red 3mm Bolens on my 170 mags - I like their looks, so call me a sucker! :) But none on 140's.

After reading several post on the ideal 2011 setup for 9 major, I bought the following:

• SVI tubes old style (10 140's) & (4 170's)

• Gram followers & springs

• Bolen base pads

I now need help in fitting the base pads. What is the preferred method to make them fit?

Do you squeeze the bottom of the mag or file the tabs?

TIA

Manny

I use 3 140mm sv mags and 1 170mm sv big stick with bolen base pads,springs and followers. I love them, they run...

I use a bolen base pad ONLY on my barney mag, where it never touches ground. I am oc on dropping mags on the ground. If it drops, it needs to be cleaned for the next run. And taking apart a bolen pad, its a different story. I haven't figured out yet how to take it apart without twisting the life of the bottom spring.

Here's my technique:

1. put the stuff in a box

2. give that box to Glenn Higdon along with a bunch of money

3. never worry about magazines again except for changing springs

Also how did you even find FOUR old-style SV 170's?!

I got 2 from my gun builder, the other I got from members from my gun club!

Do you have Glenn's contact info? I'm a shooter not a Gun Smith! :devil:

I believe his email is grandmasterglenn@gmail.com

I agree that paying for mag tuning sucks, but I feel it's the best option compared to A) having mags that don't work or B) figuring out how to do it myself. I just wish the manufacturers would get their acts together. Alas...

I use a bolen base pad ONLY on my barney mag, where it never touches ground. I am oc on dropping mags on the ground. If it drops, it needs to be cleaned for the next run. And taking apart a bolen pad, its a different story. I haven't figured out yet how to take it apart without twisting the life of the bottom spring.

On the Bolen - The hex screw that tightens the pin...leave it just under snug so in between matches you don't have to bust out the tools to loosen the pin to remove the baseplate. I also use Black Duct Tape on the bases only exposing the pin.

Gotta be quick on the removal or yeah...massive spring tweekage :goof:

Hello: One other concern with the Bolen 3mm or 4mm is that if they are dropped on a stone they will dent making removal for cleaning very difficult :surprise: I have never broken a Grams or had a Dawson come apart :cheers: The Bolen are small in the hand but I will still use the Grams or Dawson's. Thanks, Eric

Gotta be quick on the removal or yeah...massive spring tweekage :goof:

Yeah I didn't like that part either so I got a long and slender allen wrench and cut a notch into it so I could push the spring out of the base via that little gap between the front of the mag body and the base pad. Hope it helps.

Yeah I didn't like that part either so I got a long and slender allen wrench and cut a notch into it so I could push the spring out of the base via that little gap between the front of the mag body and the base pad. Hope it helps.

Pure case of Bill Clinton's definition of "no tools required".

Truly, the only tool-less pad is Dawson, no ifs or buts.