Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer Guide Rod

Duane Thomas

I'm currently running my Glock 34 with a 13-pound Wolff after-market recoil spring and steel guide rod. Unfortunately this set-up is illegal for IDPA since a replacement guide rod has to be made of the same material as the original factory part, in this case polymer. Question: does anyone make a replacement guide rod that will work with the after-market springs AND is made of polymer?

DT,

If the 34 is like my 19, a hole runs down the center of the rod. You can use a piece of stiff wire to push the spring retainer out from the back via that hole. The upshot is that if you're careful, you can re-snap the retainer back in.

Unless you're putting in a Tungsten guide rod, there's really little reason to deviate from the $6 factory guide rod system.

Hope that helps,

E

Same as above, except I just pull the plug out of the end with a pair of plier's or dykes. If you look at the end of the guide rod, you will see where the seperation is at. I run a 13lb ISMI spring minus 4 coils and I've never had a problem. I never thought about putting the plug back in, so I just pull it out w/o damaging the guide rod. I'm really looking forward to see if Tom Novak's magwell will fit in the IDPA Box. I think it would be a good setup for ESP with a steel magwell and a full length steel guide rod. FWIW.....

I tried to push the plug out and found it was way to much problem, and for me the pliers mangled the nub too badly to put back. So since I wanted to keep it full length including the nub, I ground the nub portion to the same diameter as the rest of the guide rod.

Then I went back to shooting the stock recoil assembly because I liked the more positive return I got with the stock spring over the lighter springs. Ya gotta try it to find out.

If you don't mind shooting with an uncaptured guide rod, I think using dykes is the easiest as far as removing the plug. Just put the dykes (with light pressure) into the groove where the plug meets the guide rod and pull. It should come right out, w/o any damage. I've shot an uncaptured stock guide rod w/o any problems for many thousands of rounds.

My wife uses a Wolffe spring on the standard polymer guide rod, no problems. Bill Nesbitt and his wife both use them in their 17's on the stock guide rods, again no problems.

Don't be concerned about the size difference.

Okay, the ol' 40-watter finally popped. Checked the ISMI web site, they produce flat wire springs in various weights for Glocks. I was stuck in Wolff mode and thought only music wire springs were available from anyone. Sounds like I need to call up ISMI.

"You live and learn, or you don't live long."

- Lazarus Long via Robert Anson Heinlein

Duane,

that just means that we either didn't explain it very well --- or that we assumed from reading your articles that there was very little you don't already have a passing familiarity with... :P:P

(Patrick Sweeney mode on: And here I thought it was that Wolff was supplying you with FREE springs... Patrick Sweeney Mode off)

• 1 month later...
I'm currently running my Glock 34 with a 13-pound Wolff after-market recoil spring and steel guide rod. Unfortunately this set-up is illegal for IDPA since a replacement guide rod has to be made of the same material as the original factory part, in this case polymer. Question: does anyone make a replacement guide rod that will work with the after-market springs AND is made of polymer?

If you can find an armorer with an original G17 recoil rod it would be good too. They were originally a non captured polymer rod. I had a G19 that was that way. It had a much stronger spring flat recoil spring too.