Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Division to start in?

joelh

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum for this topic, so mods, please move if appropriate.

I have pistols that will go into 3 different divisions in IDPA and am not sure where the best place for a rookie to start is. I soot a sig P226 that has night sights as the only modification, so I think that would fit in SSP. I also, have a bone stock Kimber Custom, CDP?. Last, but not least, I have a 40 year old S&W model 67 .38 spc. that I inherited from Dad.

I shoot all 3 with equal mediocrity, with perhaps a slight edge to the Kimber. I am a lefty, so all 3 have workaround on the manual of arms. I am probably least proficient at reloads on the .38 and being left handed, those reloads seem the least natural.

My thinking is probably beginning in SSP with the sig, but I would love input from those of you with experience.

Sorry, 9mm on the sig

Did you borrow my Sig? :roflol: I'd recommed going with the Sig226 over the Kimber just because it is going to be cheaper to shoot and you therefore should shoot more often!

I think sometimes we lose the reason we shoot matches, it is FUN! It is a social outlet. Of course we do gain some proficiency in using our firearms but mostly its about having a good time so use the one that you enjoy shooting most.

Simple answer- what ever YOU want! Based on your comments you seem to leaning towards the Kimber anyway. It's not like you will to forced to keep using the Kimber after your first match. I tell new shooters to shoot what they are most comfortable with to start- as the adrenalin will take you out of your comfort zone at first anway. What you do from there depends on your goals. LIke Coco said- it's all about fun....

I believe that participants should shoot what you would like to the best. You have three firearms that you can choose from, so you can shoot whichever you want at a particular match. Don't feel like you have to start in a particular division to be successful. Wherever you start you will get better at the sport and your gunhandling skills under a timed course of fire.

I shoot a Ruger Alaskan (loaded with .45 Colt) in ESR using speedloaders (it is too heavy for SSR), and I have done so for several years. It is not the "preferred" type of revolver for the sport, but I shoot it well and enjoy using it in competition.

Start with the one that you believe that you will enjoy the most, as you can always chnge to one of the others in a later match.

Of the three I would suggest the Sig for Ammo cost, mags and carriers are cheap. I had excellent results from Mecgar magazines in my 226. While I'm a fan of the 1911 format the Kimber would cost quite a bit more in Ammo alone.

The Smith revolvers are a hoot to shoot and the only class I haven't shot SSR, have a nice model 67 and it's on my to do list, just need a holster and speed loaders.

Shot with a young man once that had a model 65 and did well with it, just shows you don't have to spend a fortune to have a good time in the games. Think he told me he spent $300 for it used.

Come on out and have fun! ColoBolo's right on, I've met some good folks..............Shooter's

In IDPA 3 magazines will be fine. In USPSA it depends on what division you are shooting. In USPSA you Could shoot limited and make use of the full magazine capacity (I presume that you have 15 round magazines). Courses of fire in USPSA can only require up to 32 rounds, so with 10 round magazines it is wise to have 4 or 5 magazines handy.

I have a friend that only had two magazines for his XD-M 9mm (19 round magazines), and shot limited in the first few USPSA matchses until he was able to purchase 3 more magazines.

Take a look at Matt Griffin shooting. You will never have an excuse about being left handed with a revolver again.

As far as starting off shooting.... 9mm brass is the cheapest to reload, buy and lose. You have to decide to practice a decent amount to be good enough to really enjoy the discipline without everything being an arduous task. I'd say the sig is the best way to do this. I suggest six magazines instead of five so that if you go the IDPA route you are always loaded up for a stage ahead and if you go the USPSA route and screw up in the field course and drop one too many mags in a field course you have something to go to rather than go find. I see too many new production shooters either run out of ammo by the end or go fever pitch and hunting for a mag to finish the course with. Figure every ten round magazine as an eight round magazine and then figure out how much you can miss on far pieces of steel and moving targets. 6x8= 48 (really 61) now subtract three mags for getting to the final array...31 to 24 rounds. Leaves you with another 30 rounds to deal with plate racks or texas stars. Say you dropped a mag by accident and reached for another one instead of picking it up...you've still got 20 rounds left to deal with an eight round minimum problem. Drop mags from you load out as your performance gets better.

I shoot revolver mostly and I go out with 54 rounds most times. Some times I go out with 66. It makes no sense to anyone who is very good, but the little bit of insurance just feels nice. I don't think I have ever been past five reloads in USPSA. I have in outlaw falling steel matches though. In the beginning bring more than you need, not less.

I feel like SSP has the greater number of new shooters, so it's easier to be "competitive" right off the bat. But providing you have the necessary holster/mag holder for each gun, try them all. Most club matches around here will let you shoot a second gun for a few extra bucks. That way you can see what works for you.