Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack, here I come

So, I just bought my first 1911. I've been shooting USPSA for about a year now and have only competed in production with a Glock 34. I'm in the Atlanta area and there are a LOT of great shooters to learn from and I've made it to a high C class so far. A friend of mine who is a skilled single stack/IDPA CDP shooter sold me a gun that he built and now I need to learn to shoot it. First impression after day one one the range- I have to learn a new grip. I'm accustomed to my grip taped glock and even with aggressive checkering and grips, the 1911 moves a lot in my hands. Granted I am using factory ammo until I get the loading bench ready for 45, but my splits went to hell with this gun. Anyway, I'm excited to be competing in a new area and I'll now be trowling the 1911 forums. Hello!

I'm not a big fan of finger groove grips except on my revo (go figure) but you might want to look at Hogue rubber wrap-around finger groove grips for your 1911. Might give you a similar feel that your Glock has.

FWIW

Richard

PS: You also might want to try the "High Thumb" grip keeping your strong hand thumb on the thumb safety.

Edited by chirpy

Check out Larry Davidson grips. (don't work for them, just love them). He makes each set custom, and for something under $70. His grips are sick! the horned lizards I have wouldn't slip out of my hand if the gun was on fire, or shooting 500S&W. It's more grip than I would carry, but perfect for this stuff.

You might want to try slim grips and practice getting a really high grip on the gun. The dynamics of the 1911 vs a Glock is talked about a lot, but the difference in controlling recoil shouldn't really be a night and day difference. Once you become accustomed to the 1911, you'll like the feel of the gun coming straight back into your hand.

Reload your ammo for single stack ASAP. I shot a match with my 168PF loads with a guy shooting factory ammo and he was amazed by how flat my gun is and I was amazed by how much his gun flipped.

Single stack is very rewarding to shoot. This platform will get you accustomed to the controls on a 1911/2011 which is what most limited and open guns are built on. This work can be considered training for the next step if you choose to go that route.

Oh, and beating limited and open shooters with an 8 shot is tons of fun.

I just got mine ready be shooting my first match with it fist sun of the month been shooting Rev and Prod the last 3 years ready to go back to the old times when i just started shooting i can:t wait

Single Stack is the ONE true path!!

I have affection for the good ol' Hogue wrap around grip. That and an arched main spring housing. It places the wrist at an angle that is somewhat more like the European angle you have on a Glock. It is an anatomically more correct angle. Sends the recoil impulse compression wave, radially down the forearm bones mechanical axis.

Had a nice time dry-firing today with the 1911. I really like the way it points. I'm pretty happy with my grips and there is checkering everywhere else. Still a little wonky with the thumb placement. After a half hour with the Springer I switched to the g34 and found myself pointing high. Wondering if it's a bad idea to train on both guns at once. I was thinking about using the 1911 in IDPA and sticking with the Glock for USPSA for now.

Had a nice time dry-firing today with the 1911. I really like the way it points. I'm pretty happy with my grips and there is checkering everywhere else. Still a little wonky with the thumb placement. After a half hour with the Springer I switched to the g34 and found myself pointing high. Wondering if it's a bad idea to train on both guns at once. I was thinking about using the 1911 in IDPA and sticking with the Glock for USPSA for now.

Check out the grip force adapter,

http://www.glockmeister.com/Grip-Force-Adapter-For-Most-Gen-1-Gen-2-AND-Gen-3-GLOCKS/productinfo/GEN123BLK/

it makes the glock point a lot more like a 1911.

it made a huge difference for me. also can help with slide bite if you have "beefy" hands.