Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning case lube off finished round

Cotys

I've got about 1200 5.56 rounds I need to clean the case lube off. I use Hornady spray can case lube and may overdo it a little. My finished product is quite guncky. I read on the forum here where one person dropped them in the tumbler for 3 minutes or so and cleaned them right up. I tried that and it did clean them. My problem is that I'm shooting 75 gr Hornady Hollow Points and the media gets stuck in the hollow point.

I'm shooting 500 - 1000 yards and can't help but think the media in the hollow point is a bad thing. Any other "cleaning" techniques for cleaning a high volume?

I need to also search again on case lube and see if something else isn't as sticky.

Thanks,

Coty

I will try the acetone tonight.

I run a Dillon 650 and process my brass on 1 run and load on another run. I had considered tumbling it before loading, but was afraid the brass might stick if I run it through with the die in station 1 just to punch the primer again for debris.

Running it all through the Dillon would be the easy way to go.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

I clean my cartridges of the 75 grain Hornady variety by hand since I only use them for major matches.

I'm not worried about media effecting the accuracy of the bullet but in a 48 round magazine, that 48th round and the ones above it have plenty of time to dislodge any media and create a malfunction.

I have seen a single piece of fine grain tumbling media completely lock up an AR-15. It just has to land in the right place and boom, you're done until you do some aggressive "pogoing."

Edited by DyNo!

I will try the acetone tonight.

I run a Dillon 650 and process my brass on 1 run and load on another run. I had considered tumbling it before loading, but was afraid the brass might stick if I run it through with the die in station 1 just to punch the primer again for debris.

Running it all through the Dillon would be the easy way to go.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

try a universal decap die in station 1, doesn't touch the case walls, just the primer flash hole, and knocks the tumbling media out quite well. Then tumble between prep and loading steps. deburing the flash hole is then not necessary, unless you want/need to.

jj

I tumble rifle brass after resizing to remove lube, when I used corn cobb it would stick in the primer flash hole, and in the primer pocket itself, sometimes I would find 5-6 grains stuck together lodged in the primer pocket. I cured that by getting some walnut shell that was a finer (smaller) size, no more problems with that, plus I use a universal decapping die in station one just to be sure the flash hole is open.

do corncob media get stuck as well??

Its really a problem of media size, not the material, bigger media sticks in the holes, smaller media doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Lay a beach towel out and put about 250 rounds in the middle. Spray rounds with brake kleen, pick up ends of towel and do a reverse shoe shine motion. 15 seconds later they are perfectly clean and de-gunked.

a quick 20 min in a tumbler with dry media is ez!!! also, i have been tumbling resizing deprimeing and trimming first, then tumbler again, then you wont have a need to resize deprime again... get an extra tool head and install only the resize deprime die in it, leave station 1 empty when your reloading, much easier in my opinion, good luck