Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP SCR or CTR

Does anybody have experience with the JP SCR-11? If so what are your impressions? Is side charging worth it or should i save my $200 and just get a CTR? And i know this has been asked a million times.... What barrel length and profile would you get? Im not the largest guy in the world and would rather not lug unnecessary weight around. The furthest the local matches go is 600. Thanks for the help everyone.

(p.s. I know i can build a rifle for less money.)

Edited by UsWeTheyandThem

The SCR is so new you may have to elect to be the guinea pig for all of us. I think it is a brilliant idea. You have just eliminated the charging handle which has been known to bend and possibly deform under heavy use. If you are running irons I would get a 20" barrel in the profile of your choice, lighter if you are worried about weight. 18" if you are running an optic or 1x glass. Yes, you can build one for less but it won't be a JP. Get the JP and then build some for fun. Just because you can. :cheers:

Thanks for the reply carbon,

i posted this 3 days ago and got impatient so i just took some advice from some of the forums of other builds and called JP. They were super helpful and i ended up ordering and SCR 18" medium contour barrel with a blue heat sink and the small JP compensator. I went with the low mass carrier, and the magpul UBR stock, i think i'm going to be happy with the rifle. I love the idea of the side charging and i hope its as cool as it think its going to be. Ill post pics when i get it. Saving money for a scope in the meantime i'm either going TR24 or Z6i with the BRT reticle. depends on how much money i can scrounge up. I do get married here soon, can you register for rifle scopes anywhere? Bed bath and beyond??

I've wondered the same thing do you mind me asking what kind of advice from other forums was given that persuaded you towards the SCR? I like the idea of the side charging, I've just always been one that even with a competition gun I liked keeping especially the controls the same as a home defense rifle etc... so that if for what ever reason I had to use it the manipulation of the rifle would be the same. But I am not beyond trying new ideas either.

Thanks for the reply carbon,

i posted this 3 days ago and got impatient so i just took some advice from some of the forums of other builds and called JP. They were super helpful and i ended up ordering and SCR 18" medium contour barrel with a blue heat sink and the small JP compensator. I went with the low mass carrier, and the magpul UBR stock, i think i'm going to be happy with the rifle. I love the idea of the side charging and i hope its as cool as it think its going to be. Ill post pics when i get it. Saving money for a scope in the meantime i'm either going TR24 or Z6i with the BRT reticle. depends on how much money i can scrounge up. I do get married here soon, can you register for rifle scopes anywhere? Bed bath and beyond??

:roflol: You might be able to register at Cabela's, Bass Pro and maybe Amazon.com. You can always do a 1x optic like the Leupold Prismatic DCD or EOTech XPS2-2 to tide you over until you get the Trijicon or Z6i. Then when you build another rifle for the "wife" it can go on it. Your JP sounds like it will be perfect. One of my friends is starting his wait time for an SCR as well, it's driving him crazy. Congratulations and Good Luck :cheers:

I'm also interested in hearing where the original poster did his reading to convince him to go for the new side-charger. I'm ready to order a JP soon as well, and have been considering the SCR-11 since I first heard about it, even though I started out looking at the CTR-02.

I'd also like to hear what made you decide on the 18" medium contour barrel. I've been debating about barrel length and contour lately as well. The medium 18" looks like the way to go to me too.

it wasn't the forums that helped me decide to go with the SCR, the advice i got from the forums was to call JP. I have a SCAR 16s and it has side charging so i'm used to using a side charging rifle.

I wasn't sure about the heat sink but said what the hell, if i don't like it i can always take it off later. (or buy another rifle :D )

Im going to check out all of those sites and see if i can register. The fiance doesn't seem to keen on the idea. It would be awesome if somebody bought me a scope for my wedding. Although i'm almost positive that i know nobody who would do that for me.

good idea on the eotech. I have got one of those in the safe and it will most definitely hold the spot for the new scope.

Edited by UsWeTheyandThem

sorry didn't see that last post. When i spoke with the rep from JP we talked about what division i was planning on playing in, he suggested a 20 for irons and an 18 tactical optics, because i am planning on shooting in tactical optics i went 18. The one thing i'm worried about is weight, but i think i will just work out some more to overcome that. From some of the other forums i read it appears all of the top guys use a 20 but i'm 5'6" 130lbs, so i just cant see my self holding one of those up to well at this point. My friend recently went down from an 18 to a 16 because he didn't like dragging so much weight around. I figure if i just get into better shape i should have no problem handling the rifle.

Out of curiousity why did you go with the SCR-11 instead of the PSC-11 (which has both the side charging handle and regular charging handle and fits on any mil-spec lower receiver)?

I have been looking at them both and was curious if they even talked to you about the other upper?

sorry didn't see that last post. When i spoke with the rep from JP we talked about what division i was planning on playing in, he suggested a 20 for irons and an 18 tactical optics, because i am planning on shooting in tactical optics i went 18. The one thing i'm worried about is weight, but i think i will just work out some more to overcome that. From some of the other forums i read it appears all of the top guys use a 20 but i'm 5'6" 130lbs, so i just cant see my self holding one of those up to well at this point. My friend recently went down from an 18 to a 16 because he didn't like dragging so much weight around. I figure if i just get into better shape i should have no problem handling the rifle.

The UBR will balance out the barrel weight, it will be perfect.

That is a good question stre-tch. The answer is no they did not talk to me about it, i did see it on their website however. I dont have a reasonable answer as to why i didnt look into it further.

i just got excited and went for the SCR i hope it is as awesome as i think it will be.

I don't doubt it will be awesome as is everything they make B) . I was just curious if the SCR upper was inherently more accurate due to mass, proprietary lower, rigidness (due to lack of top charging handle), etc... Or if something else set it apart and above the PSC upper.

Either way please post pics of the rifle as well as a review as I am very interested in the idea of their charging handle :cheers:

• 2 months later...

I have had my SCR-11 about two months now. 20" mid contour barrel, ACE stock. I shoot left handed and love it. The only draw back I cannot use my Dueck RTS irons at the 11 o'clock with the side charge so I added the JP RTS. It does the job so far. The rifle shoots better than I will ever be able to shoot it off hand. The side charge works better for me in misfire drills than the charging handle.

I shot one last week at RM3G and it was awesome. I shoot left handed and loved the side charging handle. I have an 18" CTR-002 that still shoots .6 MOA so I am holding off for a little while.

I have a slightly used TR-24 w/red triangle and cat tail if you are interested I am just down the road.