Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie 38 Super Comp reloading questions.

robot

Hi, just starting to reload 38 super comp. Have some questions that I'm unsure of, hope you guys can help me.

1. I tried using the Lee 38 Super "U" die and when I tried using brass that I've picked up from the range, this happens. Is this normal? I looks like it's resizing it too much and scraping the brass away. It worked better when I switched back to a non-"U" die.

5723555603_171e466901_z.jpg

2. I'm using Vihtavouri N105 and this is a 9.8gr charge. It's almost full, is this right? I heard that if you're using 115gr MG bullets and want to make powerfactor, it'll be almost 10.5gr. Wouldn't that spill over? Before I fire this through my gun, is this what you guys are doing as well?

5724112660_ca86984030_z.jpg

Your case heads have expanded. The only way to do this is too much pressure for that brass.

Find a load that operates with less pressure.

is that for Question 1?

whats your overal length the pic looks like its somewhat short but maybe its just me, thatll increas pressure causeing some problems and explain why you are using less powder than others

also is it a brand new barrel? after a couple thousand rounds down the pipe you occasionally need to bump your charge up by a tenth or two

also primer? small pistol, small pistol magnum, and small rifle all deviate in pressure and amount of powder to make same velocity.

I remember EGW having an issue with some of their U-dies that caused that type of ring at the base of the brass. I'm pretty sure that 9mm was affected but have no idea if 38 super was also a part of that bad batch.

I'd try to resize with a non undersize die and see if that fixes the problem and the loaded round still fits in the bbl chamber.

If you're using n105, you don't have to worry about the pressure (if you're using an acceptable OAL (probably something around 1.235" +-)) even if it's overflowing the case. You're just going to have to slow down your press index to keep from slinging the powder all over the place.

I remember EGW having an issue with some of their U-dies that caused that type of ring at the base of the brass. I'm pretty sure that 9mm was affected but have no idea if 38 super was also a part of that bad batch.

I'd try to resize with a non undersize die and see if that fixes the problem and the loaded round still fits in the bbl chamber.

That's what I did. I changed it back to a standard resizing/decapping die and it works better. It just doesn't resize all the way down the case, that was the reason I bought the "U" die. Doesn't matter I guess :)

If you're using n105, you don't have to worry about the pressure (if you're using an acceptable OAL (probably something around 1.235" +-)) even if it's overflowing the case. You're just going to have to slow down your press index to keep from slinging the powder all over the place.

ok! so that amount is normal? great, then I don't have much to worry about. I loaded the rounds to 1.250 OAL.

Thanks so much!

Yup. I was using 10.2 in a supercomp case and I had to hold the case as it came into the seating die station to keep the slinging down to a minimum. It takes longer to load but it is a great powder.

One other thing. Make sure that your ammo is not binding/dragging (from front to back) in your mags. At that length, there might be a small chance that the rounds might be a little too long especially with SV mags. I think STI has a little more room. Load up your mags and strip out each round quickly with your thumb. If the next round isn't snapping immediately into place, you may have to reduce your OAL slightly.

Your case heads have expanded. The only way to do this is too much pressure for that brass.

Find a load that operates with less pressure.

is that for Question 1?

Yes. Question 2 is moot.

In a mixed batch of range brass you will have some samples that will be bulging too much near the bottom. When you size them, in some cases the die will push the material down. Your pictures show very benign case of that. In one batch of 1000 I threw out about fifty cases that produced much worse rings than you are getting. What you got I would still use.

Don't use the U die unless you absolutely must - which is almost never. The cases are stressed during the sizing enough as it is, and I have NEVER had a problem with using the regular dies. Giving each case more stress, due to more severe sizing, makes no sense at all - you will just wear out them sooner. I would not do it "just in case".

N105 lots have changed a bit in the last couple of years. I was using 10.5gr of N105 with a 115gr MG JHP at 1.235" for quite a while, but had to bump that up to 10.8gr with the newer lots. It'll fit, but you'll have to work the shell plate slowly on your 550. The good thing is that you simply can't get enough N105 in an SC case to hurt anything with a 115 or 125gr bullet.

You probably want to consider a shorter OAL...at 1.250", loaded rounds may not clear the front of the ejection port when you go to unload. What can happen, is that they hit the ejection port, rotate, the primer hits the ejector, and bang....it causes a mess, and scares everybody around. R,

As for...

1. I load 38SC and use a U-die and have had that shaving occur on some used brass I bought. Does not happen with the brass shot from my pistol tho. Wish I could find a Case Pro.

2. I'll be trying N105 next due to all the info already provided.

In a mixed batch of range brass you will have some samples that will be bulging too much near the bottom. When you size them, in some cases the die will push the material down. Your pictures show very benign case of that. In one batch of 1000 I threw out about fifty cases that produced much worse rings than you are getting. What you got I would still use.

Don't use the U die unless you absolutely must - which is almost never. The cases are stressed during the sizing enough as it is, and I have NEVER had a problem with using the regular dies. Giving each case more stress, due to more severe sizing, makes no sense at all - you will just wear out them sooner. I would not do it "just in case".

Robot,

Yeah, I agree with Foxbat about the cases - I too get the same thing sometime (in 9mm and .40) and I would use those cases in your pics. Of course that's for practice but I would use them.

On the U-die, I'm a die hard fan of them. I use to have so many 40 cases that would not drop free in the chamber and after going to the U-die, cases feel like rain! It got to where I don't drop my rounds before each monthly match now and I don't have feeding problems. If they make it through the U-die (barring some extreme case head issue), then they should be good. I have never used the U-die in .38 Super though. Keep an open mind and see what you come up with.