Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anything wrong with using a empty barney mag

kellymc

I'm taking a young shooter to her first major match. She's shooting a glock 35 in limited. We have found that a 17 round mag is the most she is able to seat with the slide forward. I was wondering if there is anything wrong with her using an empty barney mag to lock the slide back, putting that mag back into a holder, and loading a 20 rounder from her back pocket.

Edited by kellymc

a little confused, i thought 17rd is the most she can load with the slide forward? Cant she just use the 17rd, rack it (1 rd in chamber), remove then insert the 20 rounder?

EDIT: typo

Edited by Torogi

a little confused, i thought 17rd is the most she can load with the slide forward? Cant she just use the 17rd, rack it (1 rd in chamber), remove then insert the 20 rounder?

EDIT: typo

+1

Most people at matches pre-load from a partially full/full magazine, remove it, and insert the full magazine they want to use.

She can't get the 20 in the gun with the slide forward and 1in the chamber, yes she is Legal to do what you suggest at least in uspsa and steel challenge . I don't know about any other rules

The only reason i can think why she cant use the 20rds is its tight. If 20 is tight then start with that rack 1 time, so its 19+1. It doesnt matter if theres a round in the chamber. If 20 is tight then start with that, if 20 is reloadable then that is different.

The only reason i can think why she cant use the 20rds is its tight. If 20 is tight then start with that rack 1 time, so its 19+1. It doesnt matter if theres a round in the chamber. If 20 is tight then start with that, if 20 is reloadable then that is different.

thanks for the replys'. 20 is not reloadable. 19 is but because she is 10 years old 17 is the most she can seat; So we could do 17+1.Then I came up with the idea that if she locked the slide back with a empty mag and then loaded the 20 rounder which will work if the slide is back she could be starting with 20 instead of 18. She's good with this. just looking for other thoughts

This now makes sense to me. If she is that young I can see where it would be difficult to rack the slide and work the slide catch. Its actually a pretty good idea IMO and I can see no problem at all with her doing it this way.

Can't she rack the slide and engage the side lock with her thumb (no barney required)? Then insert mag, drop slide?

That could be done also.. While racking the slide is not differcult for her holding it back all the way and reaching glocks slide stop at the same time is. Im trying to remove any physcal differcults for her and stick with something that instantly became natural for her.

I'm going to have to sound like a mean ass on this but...

She should learn to pull back the slide and lock it- it's a skill she will quickly need and the sooner she learns it the better. And if she doesn't have enough strength to lock back a slide but is going to be shooting .40 Major in Limited in a long slide gun, she will be lucky to get through one mag without a jam.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that this is probably the worst gun she could possibly start with.

YMMV

I'm going to have to sound like a mean ass on this but...

She should learn to pull back the slide and lock it- it's a skill she will quickly need and the sooner she learns it the better. And if she doesn't have enough strength to lock back a slide but is going to be shooting .40 Major in Limited in a long slide gun, she will be lucky to get through one mag without a jam.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that this is probably the worst gun she could possibly start with.

YMMV

She's not starting with it.she started with a xd and shot it till it wore out.Nothings harder to rack the side on then a xd 9 tac.Turns out that a glock 35 with a 13 pound spring. 180gr mg with 3.9 tg [minor] resulted for her 0 problems.Your right about develping the skill Maybe by area 4 we will throw the empty barney away. Thanks

Edited by kellymc

Why would a new shooter worry about using a barney mag? Put a mag in, rack the slide and go. Watch your muzzle and your trigger finger. Shouldn't matter how many rounds you start with.

+1

Is that one extra round really going to make a difference at this point? Sounds like a great opportunity to practice reloading.

Edited by PeterMor

I think the issue is that she cant seat a full mag and cant apply the slide lock while holding the slide back. By inserting an empty mag and pulling the slide back it locks and then she can insert a full mag with no problem.

Why would a new shooter worry about using a barney mag? Put a mag in, rack the slide and go. Watch your muzzle and your trigger finger. Shouldn't matter how many rounds you start with.

I don't think that after 16 matches in the last 12 months that I can convince her that it really doesn't matter how many rounds you start with.

Edited by kellymc

I don't think that after 16 matches in the last 12 months that I can convince her that it really doesn't natter how many rounds you start with.

That's a lot of shooting - I wish I could get out as often :roflol:

+1 Props to you for getting your youngster started early and on the right foot.

I don't see a problem with what you're proposing. But, I will suggest two alternatives.

One would be to reduce the recoil spring weight a bit to make it easier for her to lock the slide open.

Two would be to teach her the two-handed slide racking technique. It is difficult to describe, but rather than holding the gun with the strong hand and retracting the slide with the weak hand by pulling, grab the grip and slide then use each hand to push against the other. By getting both arms' muscles involved you should be able to overcome twice the spring power.

I don't see a problem with what you're proposing. But, I will suggest two alternatives.

One would be to reduce the recoil spring weight a bit to make it easier for her to lock the slide open.

Two would be to teach her the two-handed slide racking technique. It is difficult to describe, but rather than holding the gun with the strong hand and retracting the slide with the weak hand by pulling, grab the grip and slide then use each hand to push against the other. By getting both arms' muscles involved you should be able to overcome twice the spring power.

I. believe I understand the push pull method. Mentioned it once but got a stuborn don't like that look from her. Will try it again. Edited by kellymc

Thanks for the replys everyone now I know it is at least legal and not totally off the wall.Have another level 1 match before double tap to make sure it works for her. Thanks Kelly