Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Case Trimmer

Hello to all!

I’ve yet to reload a single round so… I need expert advice on what Case Trimmer to buy.

I’ve been looking at postings and at vendor websites and am totally confused on what to buy!

I’ll be reloading:

• .44 Magnum

• .45 ACP

• 5.56 X45

• 30-06

I’m looking for a manual one to buy for getting started. I want the most accurate, easy to use and reliable.

Pros and Cons of what you use?

Oh yah, where is the best deal on what you suggest (if you know).

Thank you for your input!

Best regards,

Willy

I've tried several and the most precise is the Wilson. It aligns the cartridge using the case body rather than the case rim. It's slow and labor intensive but it produces consistent lengths and square case mouths. Bottle neck cartridges will require an arbor press for best results. It's available from Sinclair. Of those that hold and align using the case rim, I'd chose the Forster.

I use the Possum Hollow case trimmer chucked into a drill press for my 223 brass. It's cheap and seems pretty accurate - it trims based on the distance from the case datum. Can be a PITA to get adjusted, but using a caliper and patience helps.

I am also new to reloading. I got the LEE case trimmer for 25 bucks! It has a string you have to pull to turn the case while you you trim. I am sure it is not the best but for $25 bucks it sure does the job.

I've tried several and the most precise is the Wilson. It aligns the cartridge using the case body rather than the case rim. It's slow and labor intensive but it produces consistent lengths and square case mouths. Bottle neck cartridges will require an arbor press for best results. It's available from Sinclair. Of those that hold and align using the case rim, I'd chose the Forster.

+1

Depending on what I'm trimming, I use a couple of different trimmers. For pistol, I don't trim. For .223/5.56 I use the Possom Hollow trimmer chucked up in a drill in a vice. And when others say it's a PITA to get setup they are not kidding! It took me quite a while to get just perfect, but once set it's trimmed thousands of cases without ever shifting or needing to be readjusted. For my precision 308 I too use the Lee Zip trim/Lee trimmer which works great for me and was very inexpensive.

The Giraud trimmers look like they do a great job and anyone I know that has one says they are the bees knees, but they are out of my price range.

If you start reloading in volume, you'll want a power trimmer. I started with a Forster hand trimmer and was able to do about 1000 223 rounds in about 5 hours. It worked fine for 223 brass being shot in an AR for 3-gun matches. I had blisters all over my hands.

I finally purchased a Dillon trimmer and I was able to deprime, size, and trim about 1300 pieces in 4 hours. Worth every penny.

I'll still use the forster for low volume stuff for my 308 and my hunting rifles.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

I am also new to reloading. I got the LEE case trimmer for 25 bucks! It has a string you have to pull to turn the case while you you trim. I am sure it is not the best but for $25 bucks it sure does the job.

THe Lee rim clamps wear out quickly and are hard to get nbew ones. Stay clear of the LEE

Hi Guys!

Thank you for the great input! I ordered a Wilson for now.

I'd like to know the pro's and con's for the Dillon Trimmer from those who have it. Down the road, I'd like to get a powered unit and will need the best. I like to "Buy once, Cry Once" and have it done right the first time!

This hobby has so much cool stuff that I feel like a junkie who just can't say no to the next "Goodie". My wallet has different thoughts!

Best regards,

Willy

I got lucky and scored a brand new trimmer on craigslist for $170. I had to buy a die, but saved quite a bit of money being patient and checking ALL the websites regularly.

For high volume use, you can't beat the Dillon because you can set it up in a progressive press with a depriming die and knock out two steps with one run. It didn't take long to set it up...maybe about 30 minutes to get it perfect. I also made an adapter for my vacuum cleaner to hook up to the trimmer and that took a few minutes.

With the vacuum running, it's LOUD. You never really realize how loud a vacuum cleaner is until you have one sitting next to you for an hour or so. Ear protection is highly recommended.

After running my entire batch through the trimmer, I put them in the tumbler for about an hour to remove the case lube and take off the trim leavings on the case. The brass looks fantastic now. All I have to do now is swage the primer pockets....arrgghh. One day I'll have a 1050!

The only con of the dillon trimmer - is that is all it does - trims. You technically still have to chamfer and debur in additional operations.

I read a story a while back in some magazine about a school shooting team that used the dillon trimmer set up in a press with a vaccuum, and they did loads all in a single operation, to save time and money. They acknowledged that you did have a bit more flashing around the neck, but not enough to keep a boat tail bullet from seating, and then the crimp took care of any debur needs. I wouldnt do that except for blasting/plinking ammo.... but they had very good results. If you tumbled them afterward for a good amount of time... that would likely handle removing any significant bur and not require the additional operation.

The only con of the dillon trimmer - is that is all it does - trims. You technically still have to chamfer and debur in additional operations.

I read a story a while back in some magazine about a school shooting team that used the dillon trimmer set up in a press with a vaccuum, and they did loads all in a single operation, to save time and money. They acknowledged that you did have a bit more flashing around the neck, but not enough to keep a boat tail bullet from seating, and then the crimp took care of any debur needs. I wouldnt do that except for blasting/plinking ammo.... but they had very good results. If you tumbled them afterward for a good amount of time... that would likely handle removing any significant bur and not require the additional operation.

A lot of the cases I trimmed looked a bit ragged and some I'd run through again. Most I dismissed and left it to the tumbler to clean them up and they looked as good or better than factory ammo. I learned pretty quickly that you need to hold the handle down for a full second to wait on the cutter to do it's job.

I'm shooting 3-gun competitions and the longest distance I've had to shoot is about 150 m. Shots are taken so quickly, I doubt worrying about neck tension and chamfers is going to help me any.

I still haven't finished all the primer crimps, but I've been inspecting each case as I do them and so far so good.