Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hoser Stages

jmcmanis

Im looking to set up a stage and need some assistance. I want a stage approximately 30 rounds.. I want it to stay around 20 seconds. I want it to basically be a hoser stage.. The stage is set up from left to right nearly 100 ft and front to back is only around 25 ft..

What are your favorite stage setups for hosing?

Thanks,

James McManis

A funnel...... like a hallway in width. Depending on your avail props, you can screen targets to force engagement from certain spots and and in a (somewhat of) surprise. Also these are great stages for no-shoots and partial targets (hard cover) If you have the space and it sounds like you do, the path can change direction once or twice.

I've got just the thing. Jake DiVita designed it and we ran it at C-ville. It doesn't take 20 seconds though. ;)

Let me see if I can find it on this computer. (might be on the desk top...or I might not be able to find it)

[edit to add]

Found a version of it. (which we tweaked, see notes below)

Jake_MyFeetHurt.DOC

Notes:

- Use a rear fault line and keep the shooting area shallow (3-4 feet deep).

- You might pull the sides of the shooting area in a bit too. See how it looks at setup.

- ** We created a little bit of distance between the front fault line and the walls...about 5y. You will likely need to hang some NoShoots on your walls to help folks avoid shooting the walls. **

I might have some video of this one...

That looks like a pretty fun stage.. What was the average time on this one?

I might have to try something like this..

Thanks,

James McManis

I've got just the thing. Jake DiVita designed it and we ran it at C-ville. It doesn't take 20 seconds though. ;)

Let me see if I can find it on this computer. (might be on the desk top...or I might not be able to find it)

[edit to add]

Found a version of it. (which we tweaked, see notes below)

Jake_MyFeetHurt.DOC

Notes:

- Use a rear fault line and keep the shooting area shallow (3-4 feet deep).

- You might pull the sides of the shooting area in a bit too. See how it looks at setup.

- ** We created a little bit of distance between the front fault line and the walls...about 5y. You will likely need to hang some NoShoots on your walls to help folks avoid shooting the walls. **

I might have some video of this one...

Me thinks our buddy Jake was moving with a finger inside the trigger guard. :devil:

When I don't dismount the gun I have a tendency to do that if I don't plan it on the walk through. My finger out of the trigger is tied to the mount of the gun and in particular my weak hand mount.

Fast stuff though... I miss Jake shooting and watching his vids.

JT

Edited by JThompson

• 3 weeks later...

How about 50 rounds in 20 seconds (and that was with major 40 ammo in a Glock 23 at the time) for mine and the fast time of the day was 17 sec. That was during a mini-monster match put on by our outgoing MD. Talk about a HOSEFEST. That said, it was a blast putting a box of ammo downrange in 20 seconds. I don't have a layout of it, but it was basically a rectangular shooting area across the bay with barrels and 10 targets set at about 4 yards from the front of the shooting area. 10 targets, best 5 rounds scored. You could see each target from at least 2 places so the count worked (remember, this was a monster match). Amazing how many people had misses but more amazing were the targets not engaged. Can be set up in a small bay.

I setup this stage last week:

post-10187-080445000 1306201107_thumb.pn

Thirty Something.pdf

It doesn't have to be an unloaded start, but I did that just to make things interesting for Production, L10 and Single stack shooters. (Actually, one Single Stack shooter found a way to do this stage without going to slide lock, but still do it efficiently.) Our lone revolver shooter loved the stage as much as the Open and Limited guys.

Thirty Something.pdf

It doesn't have to be an unloaded start, but I did that just to make things interesting for Production, L10 and Single stack shooters. (Actually, one Single Stack shooter found a way to do this stage without going to slide lock, but still do it efficiently.) Our lone revolver shooter loved the stage as much as the Open and Limited guys.

What were the average times on the course?

Thirty Something.pdf

What were the average times on the course?

See stage 5 in these match results: http://www.uspsa.org...l.php?indx=1468

It was also a wet rainy day and a bunch of people's equipment were puking (including mine but I had primer ignition issues).

Edited by Skydiver

• 2 weeks later...

I got to playing with Google Sketchup.. Heres something I came up with pretty quick the other night..

Feel free to critique

Thanks,

James McManis

There are a few things that are making this stage illegal. Lets first look at:

1.1.5.1 Level I matches may use shooting boxes and specify where or when specific target arrays may be engaged, and may specify mandatory reloads in short and medium courses only (not in a long course).

You have a lot more than 16 rounds from only 3 locations. You could get rid of the boxes a make a long rectangular shooting area.

That would also take care of having more than 8 rounds from one location.

1.2.1.3 “Long Courses” in Level III or higher matches must not require more than 32 rounds to complete. Course design and construction

must not require more than 8 scoring hits from any single location or view, nor allow a competitor to shoot all targets in

the course of fire from any single location or view.

Next, get rid of the no-shoots in front of the steel.. that is something that should always be steered clear of. Remember that a no-shoot is a paper target.

9.1.5.2 If a bullet strikes wholly within the scoring area of a paper target,and continues on to hit a plate or strike down a popper; this will be treated as range equipment failure. The competitor will be required to reshoot the course of fire, after it has been restored.

I hope this helps..

LT

while not illegal, you have created a scoring and REF nightmare putting the no shoots in front of the steel, you could use steel full size poppers painted different colors than the scoring steel.

the more than 8 shots from a single view thing gets you though, make a long rectangle and maybe another vision barrier.

I got to playing with Google Sketchup.. Heres something I came up with pretty quick the other night..

Feel free to critique

Thanks,

James McManis

Lose the boxes (make it all one shooting area). And, get rid of any possible shoot throughs.