Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thor

Being a 45 year old comic book reading, mythology loving nerd... needless to say I am more than a bit excited about the latest Avengers movie opening this weekend... my sons and I will definately be seeing it opening night at midnight! :cheers:

I like how they are bringing out 1 character at a time until they make THE AVENGERS.

Notice how there is a new character briefly in each movie?

Hulk introduced Tony Stark, Iron Man (Tony Stark) introduced whatever character Samuel Jackson is playing..etc..

I do think they need to spend a little bit more money and get bigger actors for the roles.

Hulk introduced Tony Stark,

Actually, the Incredible Hulk movie with Robert Downey, Jr. cameo as Tony Stark came out after the Iron Man movie, not before.

Iron Man (Tony Stark) introduced whatever character Samuel Jackson is playing..etc.

Nick Fury.

I do think they need to spend a little bit more money and get bigger actors for the roles.

You mean like Eric Bana and Edward Norton and Samuel L. Jackson and Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeff Bridges and Scarlett Johansson and Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst and.... :D

Samuel L Jackson...yep that's about it.

IMO, these "remakes" are ruined by sub par actors/acting. I know there is a difference with comic books but it's close to a movie/show remake. Take for instance..the character of GAMBIT (Xmen) was a joke and nothing like the comic book. Dukes of Hazard, A-Team, and Hulk are just a few movie that could have had better actors that portrayed the original character better. I almost walked out on A-Team because it wasn't even close! I'm just waiting for a remake of "The Fall Guy"...lol

Edited by Duane Thomas

ya know, i actually like seeing someone in a role that i have no preconceived notions about as the the type of character they are used to portraying. kinda like the avengers series of movies has been doing.

stallone? lotsa guns, unintelligable words and a lotta "grrrwwooooooaaaaahhhh!" noises as hes flexing/shooting and curling his lip. rambo. see what i mean?

robert downey jr playing iron man? who'da thunk it? but damned if i dont frikkin love it, even if they didnt put him in a chair like he was in the orig story. samuel jackson as nick fury? waiting to see more, but like it so far. preferred ed norton as bruce/david banner over eric bana. whoever this dude is playing thor, never seen him to my knowledge so a fresh face on a character i've never seen on the big screen works for me. the human torch as cap america? maybe, but again i'd have liked to see another no-name be him rather than someone whos already played a super hero. ray stevenson as the punisher over thomas jane. and DAMN! Van Wilder (ryan reynolds) playing Green Lantern? WTH? green lantern is frikkin was a black dude for petes sake..

IMDb says he also played in the remake of RED DAWN. Not sure how you can remake that one and it be good. :unsure: I almost threw up in my mouth when the A-Team didn't have Mr. T

I agree with Downey Jr. That was a good pick. I also agree that some people hit a home run (like Russell Crowe) Gladiator. I just hope they do Thor with justice. Nothing worse than seeing a remake that sucks.

Edited by hankfan79

robert downey jr playing iron man? who'da thunk it? but damned if i dont frikkin love it,

The first time I heard Robert Downey, Jr. was going to play Tony Stark it was from someone raving about what a BAD idea he thought it was. Oh, this was just horrible casting. I had pondered for years who could play Tony Stark. The only actor who occurred to me was Tom Cruise, and that struck me as a bad choice. He had the looks, he had the charisma, I just didn't think he could pull off Tony's I.Q. Then here's this guy ranting about what crappy casting is Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark. I felt like I'd just been punched between the eyes. I said to him, "Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark.... That's JUST F**KING BRILLIANT." And it was. Tony Stark is an incredibly handsome, talented, charismatic, high I.Q. addict. Robert Downey, Jr. is an incredibly handsome, talented, charismatic, high I.Q. addict. Really, he was born to play this role.

even if they didnt put him in a chair like he was in the orig story.

Not sure what you mean there. Tony Stark wasn't in "a chair" in the Iron Man origin story.

samuel jackson as nick fury? waiting to see more, but like it so far.

In the "real" Marvel Universe, Nick Fury is a caucasian. When Marvel started the "Ultimate" Marvel Universe they rebooted it from scratch, retooling many characters from the ground up. One of those changes was that Nick Fury is now African-American - and they based his physical appearance on Samuel L. Jackson. It's a wonderful example of life imitates art to now have Jackson playing Fury on-screen.

Van Wilder (ryan reynolds) playing Green Lantern? WTH? green lantern is frikkin was a black dude for petes sake.

You're probably referring to the recent cartoons. Actually in the DC Universe there are thousands of members of the Green Lantern Corps. However the primary among them is Hal Jordan, the brown-haired, causasian character being played by Ryan Reynolds. The character of whom you're thinking is John Stewart. Originally introduced as a one-shot character in the 1970s as a "replacement Green Lantern" for times Hal was incapacitated or could otherwise not fulfill the Green Lantern role, eventually John graduated to full Green Lantern status himself. When the DC-based cartoons were being developed, they went for John over Hal so as not to have the human JLA members be embarrassing all white. Kind of like how they went for Hawkgirl instead of Hawkman so Wonder Woman wouldn't be the only female JLAer..

IMDb says he also played in the remake of RED DAWN. Not sure how you can remake that one and it be good. :unsure: I almost threw up in my mouth when the A-Team didn't have Mr. T

I agree with Downey Jr. That was a good pick. I also agree that some people hit a home run (like Russell Crowe) Gladiator. I just hope they do Thor with justice. Nothing worse than seeing a remake that sucks.

I can't believe they're remaking Red Dawn. The remake was suppose to have the Chinese invading but since that wasn't politically correct and they wanted to sell movies in China, they digitally changed the bad guys to North Korean. I'm just sick of remakes personally.

• 4 weeks later...

Samuel L Jackson...yep that's about it.

IMO, these "remakes" are ruined by sub par actors/acting. I know there is a difference with comic books but it's close to a movie/show remake. Take for instance..the character of GAMBIT (Xmen) was a joke and nothing like the comic book. Dukes of Hazard, A-Team, and Hulk are just a few movie that could have had better actors that portrayed the original character better. I almost walked out on A-Team because it wasn't even close! I'm just waiting for a remake of "The Fall Guy"...lol

Tell me about it. The Gambit character was the worst part of any of these recent Marvel movies.

That and how they killed off Cyclops.

And Professor X

And Jean Grey.

Death in comic books (and comic book based movies) is often a transitory experience. Really, they should replace the Pearly Gates with a revolving door.

FWIW, I agree.

I think Prof X will come back in the "body without a personality" he alluded to in one of his lectures and was later shown as a kind of stinger at the end of credits of the last movie.

Yup...I like the revolving door analogy!!!!

dj

Of course, it's worth noting that it's been five years since X-Men: The Last Stand, and, at least at this point, serious problems with their ever being a fourth entry in the X-Men film series, not least being the fact that Bryan Singer is uninterested in drecting it. Or, I would assume, having anything to do with the writing and development of same.

http://en.wikipedia....8film_series%29

There were a lot of fans who didn't like The Last Stand. (I am not, however, one of them.)

Because....

The entire point of the Dark Phoenix storyline is that at the end Jean Grey dies.

Patrick Stewart ain't gettin' any younger. They set things up so they could replace him with a younger actor.

James Marsden sucked as Cyclops.

How do you figure those are the three most important characters? I'd put Wolverine ahead of Cyclops in the "important character" category, at least in the movies. And certainly he's the most popular X-Man, both in the comics and the movies.

Okay, in both the comics and the movies the X-Men wouldn't exist without Professor Xavier, he's the font, obviously he has to be one of the most important characters, even if he's not technically an X-Man himself.

And in the comics, Scott Summers (Cyclops) is the first X-Man, the team leader, Xavier's most devoted follower. I stand second to none in my liking for Cyclops as a comic book character, and a serious case could be made for him being one of the most important characters, arguably THE most important. But in the movies? He's just a young, immature (not necessarily the same thing) guy who has not much personality, and isn't much in the way of a team leader either, frankly.Good riddance, I say.

How do you figure those are the three most important characters? I'd put Wolverine ahead of Cyclops in the "important character" category, at least in the movies. And certainly he's the most popular X-Man, both in the comics and the movies.

Okay, in both the comics and the movies the X-Men wouldn't exist without Professor Xavier, he's the font, obviously he has to be one of the most important characters, even if he's not technically an X-Man himself.

And in the comics, Scott Summers (Cyclops) is the first X-Man, the team leader, Xavier's most devoted follower. I stand second to none in my liking for Cyclops as a comic book character, and a serious case could be made for him being one of the most important characters, arguably THE most important. But in the movies? He's just a young, immature (not necessarily the same thing) guy who has not much personality, and isn't much in the way of a team leader either, frankly.Good riddance, I say.

Your entire post is why I didn't like the movies very much.

He sucked as Cyclops AND they killed him, and Xavier, which was just blasphemy. Apparently if they do any more it will be a complete reboot, but if they didn't kill off so many people they could have kept doing more.