Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Suggestions

I am trying to figure out which holsters would be a good holster to start with for USPSA shooting. I currently have an HK45, and am using the ammo pouches and holster that you can purchase from H&K for that gun anyone have a suggestion for a different one, or is what I am using decent? I havent shot a match before, so in all honesty dont know what to look for in a holster other then the obvious it holds the pistol securely. Thanks for any advice suggestions.

David

My advice is to stick with your existing equipment until you get a few matches under your belt and thus form a stronger opinion of what division you would like to compete in. My humble opinion is that an HK45 is probably best suited to L10 division in USPSA, but you're going to need a lot of mags for that.

The HK45 is a great pistol, and I think you could do very well in IDPA CDP division with it, but my hunch is that ultimately you will end up choosing something else for USPSA, so it's best to just use what you have until you know exactly what you want.

I prefer Comp-Tac gear, but I also use Blade Tech and CR Speed mag carriers. You can find all of that stuff here:

CPWSA

Chris is a great guy and his customer service is top notch.

or

Shooter's Connection

Chuck and the boys always go out of their way to make sure you have everything that you need.

Both CPWSA and Shooter's Connection are big supporters of our shooting sports. :cheers:

My advice is to stick with your existing equipment until you get a few matches under your belt and thus form a stronger opinion of what division you would like to compete in. My humble opinion is that an HK45 is probably best suited to L10 division in USPSA, but you're going to need a lot of mags for that.

The HK45 is a great pistol, and I think you could do very well in IDPA CDP division with it, but my hunch is that ultimately you will end up choosing something else for USPSA, so it's best to just use what you have until you know exactly what you want.

yeah have been doing a bunch of reading on both IDPA and USPSA, currently Ihave 5 Mags for my HK and holders for 4 (plus one in the gun), I have always been a .45 guy so will probably shoot that in both types of competition. Do I need more than 5 mags or should that cover me for USPSA?

Thanks for the info on holsters looking into some of the choices on the sites you have listed.

I shoot Production, which like L10 is also limited to 10 round mags. I like to have 5 on my belt plus one in the gun, but I used 4+1 for several months and never had an issue.

If you're a .45 guy you will want to start reloading immediately if you're not already. If I were you I would look into that before you start thinking about a new holster. Just my opinion.

Go to the Gear and Accessories forum, search "holster" and you'll have more reading than you can imagine. The search function works well here, so if that's too many responses, try "holster H&K" or other key words and you'll be able to narrow it down to what you're looking for. There are different rules for USPSA and IDPA, and different rules for different divisions in USPSA, so you'll have to take that into consideration. Not too many folks shoot an H&K in either sport, so your selection will be somewhat limited.

I shoot Production, which like L10 is also limited to 10 round mags. I like to have 5 on my belt plus one in the gun, but I used 4+1 for several months and never had an issue.

If you're a .45 guy you will want to start reloading immediately if you're not already. If I were you I would look into that before you start thinking about a new holster. Just my opinion.

Yeah I see reloading in my very near future, once I get my shotgun purchased the next big thing I am going after is reloading gear. Ammo is getting crazy expensive, and thats only putting 100 rounds for the pistol and 100 rounds for ruger Sr-556 down range a week, and I have a feeling I am going to need way more practice then that.

I was using an uncle mikes holster for my glock my first 2 matches. Like what everyone else is saying i decided to just run what I had because when you get to the matches... Everyones usually real friendly and happy to let you see/try what they're using.

After seeing/trying what others where running, I decided that the blade tech doh was a good "next" holster for me.

The Blade-tech and variations of that are very popular. Shoot a few matches and see what strikes your fancy before you commit to a quality holster. I use a Blade-Tech for Production ($70), an Uncle Mike's for SS ($50) and a CR-Speed for Limited ($165). The most expensive of these is the CR-Speed system. I have over $400 invested in the belt, pouches and holster and it was close to a year after I started shooting before I started buying the pieces.

Take your time and shoot a few matches before you decide. :cheers: :cheers:

I ordered a Kramer MSP that has yet to arrive. Good stuff from what I have heard. Spendy gamble. I did get a Blackhawk Serpa for my 229 SIG that does well. I practice with what I will carry. For now it is the Serpa. Soon (hopefully) it will be the Kramer. Or an Alessi Talon Plus that I will carry my Smith 60 in. Waiting for the leather to show up.........

When I shot my first match... i had those desert storm trooper mag pouches (the ones that hold like 5 and have straps to hold them down... usually find them in army surplus stores) and a regular belt haha...

I have since then bought a blade tech DOH, CR speed belt, and double alpha mag pouches...

but +1 to what everyone's said so far... shoot what you got til you realize what you want.

One thing to think about is after you find a set of holster and pouches that you are comfortable with is a belt system. These allow you to lock each component down in place for consistency. They also make it super easy to strap on and dry fire. Everyone preaches 'shoot what you got' and it's true, but making it easy will get you practicing more...