Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Altered" Targets

Graham Smith

I sometimes just brainstorm silly ideas to see what comes out of them and ran across a couple oddball things and wanted to see if anyone had any input.

I know that metric targets can be mounted sideways or at an angle, but what about upside down?

The rules say that at least 25% of the lower A-Zone or the entire upper A-Zone of a metric target must be visible. If the lower part of the target is left alone, can the "head" be removed completely?

We don't use the classic (IPSC headless or turtle) targets very often so shooters are not that used to them, so I hesitate to mess with their orientation. But can they be oriented differently in the same way as the metric targets are? Never mind...

Edited by Graham Smith

Metric targets can be oriented however you'd like as long as the required A zone is showing. "Classic" (headless) targets must be within 45 degres of vertical. 2.1.8.4

That was on my RO test last week.

BB

Modification of targets:

By physically cutting targets to remove the portion deemed to be

hidden by hard cover. Such targets must be fitted with a

replacement non-scoring border, which must extend the full

width of the cut scoring area (see Rule 4.2.2).

Paper targets must have scoring lines and non-scoring borders clearly

marked on the face of the target, however, scoring lines and non-scoring

borders should not be visible beyond a distance of 33 feet. The

scoring zones reward power in USPSA matches.

Cutting the head off seems like more trouble than it's worth, easier to black it out.

Didn't see anything prohibiting Metric targets from being upside down.

Cut the head off flush with the edge of the target. What remains of the B-Zone is now your non-scoring border. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

How did you get that part of the target to stop being B-Zone?

Cut the head off flush with the edge of the target. What remains of the B-Zone is now your non-scoring border. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

How did you get that part of the target to stop being B-Zone?

If that left over part were still a B-Zone, it too should have a non-scoring border. Since the only area left is the width of a non-scoring border, there is no B-Zone and all non-scoring area.

I alter targets all the time for stages...some are probably riding the edge of legal but I like coming up with different ideas than just running the hardcover to halves and sides or headshots. I'll cut up and overlay targets to get the effect I want ala the Zombies targets.

Altered Targets.ppt

You guys are making it to hard... I whack it with a carpet knife and then tape the wound from shoulder to shoulder with 1/2 black masking tape. :wacko: You no longer need a perf.

If you "paint it black" you still need the tape or people are going to be confused as to what is available and not.

JT

Edited by JThompson