Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine drops when charging

I encountered a problem during my first 3G match last month when I charged my AR, it spit out the mag. I lose at least 20sec finally the RO told me I can catch the bolt, insert mag, bolt catch release and everything went ok. :surprise: Is this common or maybe I really don't know about it? The mag is fully loaded (30 rd PMAG). I have done this procedure before in the range but not in the fully loaded mag and it worked.

I need some education and advise about AR101 , thank you. :unsure:

If nothing is wrong with the mag and If nothing is wrong with the mag catch, consider that you MIGHT have loaded 31 rds in the mag. :blink: Some mags will take a 31st rd and there is NO give if you try to push down on the rds in the mag. When you seat a loaded mag on a closed bolt in an AR, the top rd touches the bottom of the bolt and is pushed down a bit. If there were 31 rds in the mag, there is no way for the rds to move down. The mag can stay in place by friction, but the mag is not engaged with the mag catch. As soon as you start moving the gun around, the mag falls free. Try it under controlled conditions. Also with double stack mags like AR's have odd and even numbered rd on different sides of the mag. With 30 rds in place, the top round will be on the right and if you push down there will be some play. If you do have a defective PMAG, Magpul will make it right.

I had the exact same thing happen to me with a PMAG not too long ago. While I'm 90% sure I didn't overload the mag, downloading it 1 round will solve the problem. (Note that I had several very large guys trying to seat this thing, and no one could get it locked in with the bolt closed.)

Sadly, I haven't had time to experiment with that mag. I would suggest you do some testing, and look into wearing in that spring a little bit. Repeated loading (to max) and unloading could very well loosen it up enough to make it work.

I am not a 3gunner but I have a lot of time on an AR to include loading under duress. We insert mags, finishing with a slap of the palm and do a quick tug with the fingers as a matter of habit, really quick when practiced. I don't know how it would translate to the game. Let me know what you find out. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with my pmags (10 rounders in CA). I hadghem sent back to the store I bought it from but they couldn't find anything wrong. What I noticed, at least for me was that it would "seat in" when I would slap it in with a slight angle (if that even makes any sense?)

But yes, if it wasn't fully loaded it stayed in alot easier.

Ok..... if the mag fits empty and doesn't work right when full, it either has a busted seam, a broken follower OR it is too full. Don't stuff AR mags as much as they will go. They have to have some play to seat on a closed BCA and most can be stuffed to one over listed capacity..... like 11 in a 10 rd and 31 in a 30 rd. If you are certain you aren't overloading your pmags and they won't run, send them back to Magpul

Ok, I went to hte range, loaded 30 rds, full. At first I thought it's ok. it went in and when I pull the bolt it dropped. Then I tried it again with slap and it worked. I guess it really need to be seated a little bit with a force to seat properly. Let's see if still have the magic, I'll be 3gunning this sat.

• 1 month later...

Smack the magazine until it seats, then give it a slight tug to ensure that it is locked in. Pull the charging handle back then let it fly forward. This should solve the problem.

HOWEVER

If you get used to doing this, you may experience malfunctions when inserting a magazine with the bolt open. The top round may become dislodged when you smack the magazine (with no bolt to hold the top round in place) and when you release the bolt, that top round can get all kinds of screwed up and jammed.

Is there any reason you cannot begin the stage with the bolt locked to the rear, instead of closed on an empty chamber? As you noticed, the rifle seats a magazine MUCH easier if the bolt is locked to the rear- this is how it is designed to function, after all...

I am not a 3gunner but I have a lot of time on an AR to include loading under duress. We insert mags, finishing with a slap of the palm and do a quick tug with the fingers as a matter of habit, really quick when practiced. I don't know how it would translate to the game. Let me know what you find out. Good Luck

This.

Keep your finger off the mag release. I have witnessed many a new shooter repeatedly not get the mag to stay put because they were absolutely unaware that theit trigger finger touched it or was pushing on it.

• 2 weeks later...

If nothing is wrong with the mag and If nothing is wrong with the mag catch, consider that you MIGHT have loaded 31 rds in the mag. :blink: Some mags will take a 31st rd and there is NO give if you try to push down on the rds in the mag. When you seat a loaded mag on a closed bolt in an AR, the top rd touches the bottom of the bolt and is pushed down a bit. If there were 31 rds in the mag, there is no way for the rds to move down. The mag can stay in place by friction, but the mag is not engaged with the mag catch. As soon as you start moving the gun around, the mag falls free. Try it under controlled conditions. Also with double stack mags like AR's have odd and even numbered rd on different sides of the mag. With 30 rds in place, the top round will be on the right and if you push down there will be some play. If you do have a defective PMAG, Magpul will make it right.

That's excellent information. I had a similiar problem with one of my Pmags not catching on a closed bolt. Come to think of it it's always happened on a full mag and I didn't count to see if there were 31, just loaded until it was full, often removing a round has fixed the problem so it's good to know. Next time I'll pay more attention and see what the real cause was if it happens again. I just assumed the mag was defective.