Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help step by step reloading process

Got all my stuff for reloading and I got some brass in the tumbler but I don't know what to do next. :blink:

I know I have to decap it but do you still clean it up after that? Or go straight to adding primer, powder and setting bullets? Will corn cobb leftover inside the case or primer pocket affect the performance of the ammo?

Thanks for the help!

First, what are you reloading on/with?

Once they are cleaned, put them in a flat tray (with about 1" sides) gently shake back and forth. This will stand most if not all of the cases straight up. Makes it easier to dump the left over media out of them.

Next, on to the size/deprime station, which by definition will size and deprime and (depending on your press, also prime the cases). 99% of the time, de-priming the case will push out any remaining media in the flash hole.

Then to the powder drop, and so forth.

We need more info as to what you are loading (caliber, weight of bullet, powder, primer), what press you are using, and what PF you are hoping to achieve for more feedback from us (the forum).

First, what are you reloading on/with?

Once they are cleaned, put them in a flat tray (with about 1" sides) gently shake back and forth. This will stand most if not all of the cases straight up. Makes it easier to dump the left over media out of them.

Next, on to the size/deprime station, which by definition will size and deprime and (depending on your press, also prime the cases). 99% of the time, de-priming the case will push out any remaining media in the flash hole.

Then to the powder drop, and so forth.

We need more info as to what you are loading (caliber, weight of bullet, powder, primer), what press you are using, and what PF you are hoping to achieve for more feedback from us (the forum).

I about to reload 223, 55 & 69 gr.

I know you have to put lubricant to the brass prior to resizing/depriming stage, will it cause any problem with the primer or burning powder? I use Lee case lubricant.

Your question was good and don't hesitate to ask when new ones arise. However, for safety's sake, don't get ahead of yourself. Based on your question and later comment, it looks to me like you need to first spend some time reading up on reloading. The ABCs was already mentioned and get a reloading manual and read it too. Reloading isn't difficult, but you don't want to make any big mistakes, so read and study before you start pulling the handle.

Good info above on doing some research... Even if you are not interested in competition, I suggest finding a club match in your area and attend. Competitors in any shooting sport will have bunches and bunches of reloaders in the group. Introduce yourself and see if you can find out which ones would love to show you their setups.... every club has some. Many will have no problem showing someone the basics. Be careful and good luck

I'm also new to reloading; I just received my LNL AP a couple of weeks ago. Some quick perspective - I'm approaching this as a means to an end. I reload to shoot. I don't shoot to reload. ;) It might be a pleasurable hobby for some, but this whole reloading thing is a chore for me. That said, I approach it VERY seriously.

I've been "on the fence" about this for the last two years and consequently have accumulated a decent amount of information in that time. When I finally decided to actually "do it", I spent many hours on various forums gathering as much information as I could. I'm currently reading "The ABC's of Reloading" and also purchased the DVD: "Competition Reloading Basics to Advanced" by Brian Enos http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BBUL0. Both have been very helpful and removed much of the guess work out of the process. I've also downloaded the reloading data sheet from the manufacturer of the particular powder that I purchased. A good reloading book and a reloading data sheet are indispensable.

Given the accumulated amount of information (sans practical experience) that I've gathered over the years, and the nature of the questions posted in this thread, I would respectfully recommend that you seriously consider educating yourself more thoroughly prior to performing any reloads. You've acted prudently by posting in this thread for information, but further research on your part would be advisable for no other reason than safety. The process of reloading does not readily forgive mistakes. Setting up my press gave me enough perspective to qualify that statement. For example, you're dealing with extremely dangerous materials such as primers and gunpowder in close proximity. They need to be handled properly and they need to be stored properly. Grossly over-charging or under-charging a load can, at best, result in a destroyed firearm, and at worst, result in a fatality. I don't want to seem melodramatic or hyper-sensitive about such things, but on a personal level, I know that I will not be the only person to use the ammo that I reload. To cause harm to myself due to a negligent mistake would be terrible, but to cause harm to another would be unbearable.

Respectfully submitted.

Edited by Jungo2

• 2 weeks later...

I am also new to reloading and doing the research. I would add to the above posts that you need to determine what you are shooting for. If you are trying to be ultra-precise, you will need to turn the necks and trim them before you worry about sizing them. If you are trying to be competitive at high-power matches, turning the necks is not the way to go (from what I am seeing). Trimming may help though. I am also wondering if you checked your brass for signs of separation? You don't want to load brass that is starting to develop cracks in the web, or showing other signs of failure. If your brass is free from defect, have you cleaned the primer pockets? A lot of research and forum time really helps with this process. Good luck.